The Recent Epidemic of Revived Zombie Threads

triceratops

I've noticed that in recent months the Alerts and Garage Sale sections have had an uptick in "zombie" threads (long dead threads brought back to life and bumped to the top of the list by someone posting on them). The folks responsible for resurrecting these threads are typically newbies with a post history of one. I suspect they are often flippers scouring the internet for some bargain they can buy and resell at a profit.

If posters would mark the title of the thread "sold" when an item is no longer available, that would go a long way to eliminating the problem. But we live in an imperfect world, and sometimes ads on Craigslist that are referenced in the Alerts section simply expire, leaving no clue as to the eventual outcome.

On some other special interest forums, new members are unable to post in the classified section until they have a certain minimum number of posts on their profile. A few forums are even more strict, with new members being unable to see the classified section until they have a minimum number of posts. Although both of these approaches would add more complications to running the board, I think either strategy would effectively eliminate the problem. 

What do other forum members and moderators think? Am I the only forum member irritated by having to wade through the growing pile of zombie thread carcasses?

• Like 2

I usually call people out if they’ve replied to a zombie thread, which usually results in two things.  Either the person who resurrected the thread never replies again or they apologize that they didn’t notice how old the thread was.

I’m especially irritated by it on forums that have a message that pops up when someone tries replying to an old thread saying that it’s an old thread and it might be better to start a new one.

• Like 1

Hmm....I'm still curious why someone would continually "like" comments on threads at a pace where they can't possibly be reading, and if they are, must be setting records for doom-scrolling. 😮 Gotta admit it used to bother me but now I am only slightly intrigued. 🤔

Lol, go figure...other day someone asked a question and got an answer on an older thread. Not certain why issue if an issue that could be addressed. For example, I am not going to say Sold on every Alert post made.

Asked of Garage Sale users. Some comply.

Unless a mod 24/7 and even then.

AI may be an answer but, have my doubts.

So, people are people who do what they want to do. Not a really big deal to me.

• Like 2

I know it's usually unknown on Alert threads whether items are sold, let alone for the Forum member to have time to update the post here. I really do appreciate that members post links for those ads here, and often billybob even uploads the photos! 

A month ago I responded to a Craigslist ad for a pedal steel guitar and the poster never replied back. Then while researching the guitar on the Steel Guitar Forum, I saw the proud new owner post pictures, as he was justifiably happy about his score. But the seller's ad is still up--he sold it in a day, and apparently can't be bothered to delete the ad.

I guess I'll shut up now and file this topic under insignificant things I shouldn't be stressing about. 🤪

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, triceratops said:

I know it's usually unknown on Alert threads whether items are sold, let alone for the Forum member to have time to update the post here. I really do appreciate that members post links for those ads here, and often billybob even uploads the photos! 

A month ago I responded to a Craigslist ad for a pedal steel guitar and the poster never replied back. Then while researching the guitar on the Steel Guitar Forum, I saw the proud new owner post pictures, as he was justifiably happy about his score. But the seller's ad is still up--he sold it in a day, and apparently can't be bothered to delete the ad.

I guess I'll shut up now and file this topic under insignificant things I shouldn't be stressing about. 🤪

We stress about different things. Thanks for posting this as Garage Sale members should follow the rules. Some lately are way out of reason.

20 or even 2 years is abit much.

Thanks man!

• Like 1

these are new members who dont have klipsch  speakers ,  prices have soared so much in the last couple of years ,  that  newbies are searching  for a good deal  ,  , but it's usually  long gone  

Yes @triceratops ... comes down to common courtesy by the following through the transaction. Garage Sale gets alot of views, as you know, just by the internet. We, along with mods, have alot to do with sorting out the forum in general. Boots on the ground, so to speak.... A daily basis.