Recommend me a CD-RW drive

Kain

Lite-On

The cheapest and it STILL meets and beats those at two and three times the price! I have a 48x and 52x Lite-On burner that let me burn cd's in 1-2 minutes.

Best part of that... they cost $50 and $53 respectively!!! Never had a bad cd from them, well except one but the silver came off which is not the fault of the Lite-On hehe.

Their website SUCKS but their products are great

http://www.liteonit.com/english/index-english.htm

Justin - I picked up a Lite-On (actually it was branded differently, but it "auto detects" as a Lite-On) for $10 after rebate at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. It IS fast.

BTW, any input on the Epson 2400 or HP 4570 Scanners? I understand they are not professional quality, but for about $200 are they worth getting?

DD

I have the 1240U and JUST GOT the 2450 Photo scanners.

I love epson scanners, i belive the 2400 was rated as the best scanner in its price category by a few online and offline reviewers.

The only reason i got the 2450 was so I could scan the 4.9 Transparencies I get from Lone Star Gift solutions which I put into press releases, it does a WONDERFUL job at that by the way.

I used to have an HP scanner and I don't think I will ever go back to HP. They make great scanners but the Epson just seems to be faster and more reliable. I also have a Umax Astra scanner which I never use, its scsi is screwed :(

If you get the 2400 i HIGHLY recommend you get a UBS 2.0 card. it speeds up scanning at higher resolutions. I scan every at 300dpi and 42bit or greater. I max out at 48bit and 12,800 dpi! That puts each of my transparencies at around 60mb uncompressed.

Get teh 2450 for only $215!!!!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/erwincomputers/epper24phots.html

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Justin, it'll connect to my daughter's MAC iBook (the new-case style circa late 2001), which is (I believe) USB1.1. I'll check.

I wish you MEANT the 2450 for $215 -- that'd be a steal. But, that's the 2400. I was leaning Epson's way for their speed but some reviewers commented that the color saturation wasn't as strong as it should be, especially reds. The HP 4570 is fairly new and there are almost no reviews of it out there.

DD

(Kain, sorry for hi-jacking your thread...)

well doug, that is what you get for using Yahoo! Shopping LoL!

I bet she has firewire though! Find a scanner with firewire if possible, it is just that much faster. When scanning at a higher resolution, which starts at around 300dpi IMHO, you can see how USB really slows things down. When scanning a 8x10 painting at 300dpi the scanning finished but it still took a few seconds just to send the info through ol' USB 1.1 since the 1240U is limited to that :(

By crackey, I believe you are right Justin. Not being a MAC guy I completely forget about that danged Firewire. Any suggestions on makes/models? I know the 2450 that you just got has FW, but anything else that PriceGrabber turned up using that as an Interface type was at least $500 (excluding 1 which might not be enough).

DD

the only one I could find other than the Epson that was SOMEWHAT in your pricerange was the Visioneer OneTouch 8650 but it is not NEARLY as good as the even lowest end Epson or HP.

Just get the 2400 Epson or if you feel all giddy, go for the 2450. What is she going to use it for?

Umax has one... is $1200 to much?

What is a good stand alone cd burner?

I have use of my Dell at work, but I don't have a PC at home ( the ex does).

I am going to get a PC, but now I'm buying furniture (after I buy one more preamp).

I want a CD burner that I don't have to use a PC with.

I was told Technic's and Phillips make them. Does anyone use this or everyone use thier PC?

Danny

----------------

On 1/22/2003 2:04:09 PM dbflash wrote:

What is a good stand alone cd burner?

I have use of my Dell at work, but I don't have a PC at home ( the ex does).

I am going to get a PC, but now I'm buying furniture (after I buy one more preamp).

I want a CD burner that I don't have to use a PC with.

I was told Technic's and Phillips make them. Does anyone use this or everyone use thier PC?

Danny
----------------

those are more expensive and 90% of the time much slower unless you pay big bucks. i guess because it cannot write to the harddrive and then write to a CD since harddrives are much faster to read and right from. circuitcity has some. you also won't be able to burn from your computer from these stand-alones.

Danny - For the money you'd invest in a standalone burner, you'd be halfway to a PC that could do it for you (if you don't need a killer PC). Plus, you pay a premium for audio CDs to cover the royalty fees. You can't just use plain old PC CDs in the standalone burners.

OTOH, the standalone units make it much easier if you are going to burn from an audio source like tape or phono.

DD

Yea, that's what I thought.

I was going to buy just a laptop, but now I'm leaning toward a tower.

A friend bought me a Omega Preditor. It uses a USB connection. I used it with both a tower and laptop. For every 5 cd's I tried to burn 4 would screw up?

I know other's who have used a burner with USB connection's and they have problems. Is it best to stay away from USB or is it the burner?

Danny

I'm guessing you may have run into buffer underrun, where the system can't keep the burner's buffer full due to either a slow system or a slow data path from the main channel to the burner. It's possible, if you are burning at a high speed, that the USB connection wasn't transferring data fast enough. Perhaps a USB 2.0 might work.

I can appreciate wanting an outboard burner for the laptop, but I'd go for an onboard burner in the tower. Watch the sales - -you can get a good one for $20-30 after rebates, these days.

DD

I have decided what I am going to do.

I am going to build my own tower system. I will have a built in cd burner.

A friend wants me to look at an Apple GR4, but I really don't want to spend $2,500 just to burn cd's. I bought a Gateway 2 years ago that I liked, but the ex took that and I ended up with the stereo.

I am going to buy in the next couple of weeks. I just broke down yesterday and had digital cable installed at the house. I guess once I buy the PC I will get connected using their high speed modem.

Thanks for all your help.

Danny