RF7-IIs or Chorus IIs for home theater

archdukeobvious

I've over acquired speakers. Currently my home theater has 4 RF7-II towers and an RC64-II. It's a bit cramped in the back since I moved houses from the original setup. I was wondering if I would be giving up anything by selling that setup and replacing it with Chorus II fronts, an Academy center, and Heresy II rears which I already have but don't have a place for? This will be almost exclusively for home theater use. 

• Like 1

Howdy, Know of at least 1 at this second doing the Academy with Chorus2 front which has been  @Mikekid.

Member likes his setup with no rears as recall.

Can see no reason not to pursue this line of thinking with your setup, space.

Some prefer 3 fronts alike. You may want more input though. I would...

@archdukeobvious

5 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

wondering if I would be giving up anything by selling that setup and replacing it with Chorus II fronts, an Academy center, and Heresy II rears which I already have but don't have a place for? This will be almost exclusively for home theater use. 

If you already have everything try it out see what you think my guess is the Academy is going to be the weak link the 64-II is a pretty awesome center and the Academy is my least favorite amongst the larger center speakers. Try keeping the 64-II in place with the Chorus setup I ran a system like that and enjoyed it for TV and movies timbre match is not as important again if you have everything try it out 

I have a pair of Chorus IIs as my mains & I love them. I used to have a pair of RF 5s, and while they seem to reproduce movie soundtracks a little better, they don't do music as well. I only have a RC 52 for my center, but I have a pair of Quartets helping out as my wide / height speakers. (On both setups)

The key to Chorus IIs is driving them. Once I got the EQ on my Pioneer Elite Rcvr tweaked up they sounded great. But on the flat setting, MEH.

That's my $.02

I would say the Chorus II's and the Heresy's would be better used for music only systems and keep the 2 way reference speakers in your home theater. Perhaps sell a set of the RF7 ii's and pick up something smaller for surround duty (If you have side surrounds, go with something like the Klipsch RS 62II, if they are in the back, then maybe a decent bookshelf speaker like the RB 61 that you could wall mount out of the way.

I've found that in a home theater setting, the center channel and the sub are the most important.  That's were you should focus on the best quality speakers that fit your budget.

Unless you have a huge room, like the size of a school gym, you are wasting the abilities of large speakers in the surround and front L/R positions.  Reason being, if you use the THX settings, the front and surrounds are cut at 80 hz.  So those front speakers with 10" / 12" / 15" woofers aren't really being used effectively. (Unless you use the system for both home theater and music)  I was guilty of this for a while when I was running my RF 83's as the L/R in my home theater before I pulled them to my seperate 2.2 music only system.

Go a head and put in a special FX heavy movie and actually go around and listen to what is coming from each speaker and more specifically, each low end driver in those speakers.  You might be amazed to realize how little low end is coming from the L/R front speakers. (Of course, unless you set your mains to run full range)

I don't really understand why people want huge matching Goliath speakers all around.  I know some people swear they need to timber match the tweeters, etc., but in reality, that's not extremely important. (I know some people will flip their lid over this, but they are usually the same people that will argue that super expensive speaker cables and super huge power cables make a huge audible difference over just a nice decent set that doesn't cost the equivalent to a mortgage payment!)  I can understand wanting the front three channels to match as closely as possible, but for the sides and surrounds.... come on! 

I hope this helps.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, jjptkd said:

If you already have everything try it out see what you think my guess is the Academy is going to be the weak link the 64-II is a pretty awesome center and the Academy is my least favorite amongst the larger center speakers. Try keeping the 64-II in place with the Chorus setup I ran a system like that and enjoyed it for TV and movies timbre match is not as important again if you have everything try it out 

Mains:  Klipsch Chorus II with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.

Center: Klipsch Academy with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-250S Front Height: Klipsch RP-500SA

AV: Denon AVR-X3500H, Panasonic DP-UB820P-K, Roku Ultra, XFinity Premier, Vizio P75QX-H1

I have a bug to just upgrade now, but it still sounds awesome.  The 64-II was a speaker I had looked at for an Academy replacement, but then sadly my father died and I inherited his Academy.  (During this mess my ex-wife took over my house over 5 years ago and I finally walked away from it from the bank.  However; my Quartets, Academy (also Crites) and SS25's and an Emotiva Ultra 12 is sitting there along with about $50,000 in tools (new value)).

I need a sub again, but in an apartment for one more year.  May just by one and play during normal hours.   Even with my Chorus II's I had some crazy upstairs neighbor pissed about movies on a Saturday afternoon.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Iteachstem said:

I would say the Chorus II's and the Heresy's would be better used for music only systems and keep the 2 way reference speakers in your home theater. Perhaps sell a set of the RF7 ii's and pick up something smaller for surround duty (If you have side surrounds, go with something like the Klipsch RS 62II, if they are in the back, then maybe a decent bookshelf speaker like the RB 61 that you could wall mount out of the way.

I've found that in a home theater setting, the center channel and the sub are the most important.  That's were you should focus on the best quality speakers that fit your budget.

Unless you have a huge room, like the size of a school gym, you are wasting the abilities of large speakers in the surround and front L/R positions.  Reason being, if you use the THX settings, the front and surrounds are cut at 80 hz.  So those front speakers with 10" / 12" / 15" woofers aren't really being used effectively. (Unless you use the system for both home theater and music)  I was guilty of this for a while when I was running my RF 83's as the L/R in my home theater before I pulled them to my seperate 2.2 music only system.

For the home theater room, it's a weird room. The front is perfectly sized to fit a 135" screen with the RF7s to the side and the RC64 just under the screen on a 14 inch riser. After about 8 feet back, it opened up a bit wider (like 4 feet) where the garage door is. The whole room is sunk down about 2 feet from the main level. In the back it's open to the main level with a railing and 4 steps, then a fireplace on the other side that juts into the room 3 feet (very annoying for speaker placement). My rear RF7s can't be aligned evenly, the one in front of the fireplace is right next to the couch and the one next to the stairs is back about 4 feet from it. The main problem is that I don't really have room. I do already have both a pair of RS62-IIs and RB61-IIs I could try from the previous setup. They would probably actually work better for that room. Selling the rear RF7s on their own might be difficult though since they are mismatched and were damaged returns (one walnut, one black, both with dents in the wood in the back but function normally). Would still need to find a place for the academy and Chorus IIs in that case. 

On 6/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Iteachstem said:

Go a head and put in a special FX heavy movie and actually go around and listen to what is coming from each speaker and more specifically, each low end driver in those speakers.  You might be amazed to realize how little low end is coming from the L/R front speakers. (Of course, unless you set your mains to run full range)

I don't really understand why people want huge matching Goliath speakers all around.  I know some people swear they need to timber match the tweeters, etc., but in reality, that's not extremely important. (I know some people will flip their lid over this, but they are usually the same people that will argue that super expensive speaker cables and super huge power cables make a huge audible difference over just a nice decent set that doesn't cost the equivalent to a mortgage payment!)  I can understand wanting the front three channels to match as closely as possible, but for the sides and surrounds.... come on! 

I hope this helps.

I have actually finished acquiring the speakers for my dream setup and hooked it up in my living room this weekend (speakers took about 2 years to aquire but still needs the proper house for it though haha).  4x Khorns for front and rears, LaScala center, and 2x Belle sides (not hooked up yet do to room size and window placement). It dropped my jaw like nothing the RF7s ever did! Set to full range and no sub. I couldn't even tell one was missing. Tested it with Lord of the Rings and Fury Road and one of my few SACDs (I will be getting more of those!). Everything was just amazing! Even just Bilbo's relatives knocking on the door made me think the neighbors were pissed off and coming to complain haha! 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:13 PM, alkemyst said:

Mains:  Klipsch Chorus II with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.

Center: Klipsch Academy with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-250S Front Height: Klipsch RP-500SA

AV: Denon AVR-X3500H, Panasonic DP-UB820P-K, Roku Ultra, XFinity Premier, Vizio P75QX-H1

I have a bug to just upgrade now, but it still sounds awesome.  The 64-II was a speaker I had looked at for an Academy replacement, but then sadly my father died and I inherited his Academy.  (During this mess my ex-wife took over my house over 5 years ago and I finally walked away from it from the bank.  However; my Quartets, Academy (also Crites) and SS25's and an Emotiva Ultra 12 is sitting there along with about $50,000 in tools (new value)).

I need a sub again, but in an apartment for one more year.  May just by one and play during normal hours.   Even with my Chorus II's I had some crazy upstairs neighbor pissed about movies on a Saturday afternoon.

I was in an apartment when I first got the RF7s. Luckily my upstairs neighbors seems to be absent the majority of the time I was there and I had my bedroom in between my living room and the neighbors for an air gap. I put my sub on an outdoor timer which turned it off every night and back on in the morning. 

Also a thing to note is that I don't think there is a place for the RF7s once we move. I've already been told no towers in the living room in the new place 😞. The home theater there will be the large heritage speakers and I'll have to find places for the other heritage speakers in the non common areas (I don't want to sell any haha)

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, billybob said:

Howdy, Know of at least 1 at this second doing the Academy with Chorus2 front which has been  @Mikekid.

Member likes his setup with no rears as recall.

Can see no reason not to pursue this line of thinking with your setup, space.

Some prefer 3 fronts alike. You may want more input though. I would...

@archdukeobvious

I am also pairing my Academy (originally paired with Quartets) with Chorus II's and it's impressive.   My full system is in my sig.

It's not all Heritage, but I didn't have room for all Heritage and people really enjoy watching movies here.   They will mention movement and how dynamic it is.   Even before I added a sub recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alkemyst said:

I am also pairing my Academy (originally paired with Quartets) with Chorus II's and it's impressive.   My full system is in my sig.

Was glad to hear that. Did you contact Dean or are you happy with all.?

I contacted DeanG, but he hasn't answered.   I am interested if he can do the Academy like the K-Stack.   Mr. Crites did a good job, but like many have mentioned it's more a OEM update than a full upgrade.  My brother could probably build something for me as he is an electronics expert, but he just doesn't have the time.

• Like 1