La Scala Seam separation on 1997 pair -- What glue was used?

Hi All -- I am in the process of restoring the subject speakers and one of them has some separation of the side wall and top inside corner.  IA woodworking friend suggested I use long clamps to press them into place with glue.  Does anyone know what type of glue would have been used during the original manufacture?  

seamseperationsideofbassunit.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chronometers said:

Hi....what is that?

Bumping your post up for better visibility...my error.

Like your friends idea about the clamps. Maybe light rubber hammer treatment. Someone should be along soon about the glue they prefer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Bumping your post up for better visibility...my error.

Like your friends idea about the clamps. Maybe light rubber hammer treatment. Someone should be along soon about the glue they prefer.

Thanks....I may tag one of the employees on the site about glue.

Edited by chronometers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chronometers said:

I've been told gorilla glue works well but is really messy.

Gorilla glue is a strong glue ,  you must clean any residues right away    ,  Lepage   is the  most commonly used wood glue / easier to remove ,  

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 11:10 PM, chronometers said:

Thanks.  Do you know what Klipsch used (uses) currently?

klipsch currently use MDF panels ,  the glue  is not the same as what  was used  with  plywood panels which were nailed with brads + glued

-  Lepage Carpenters glue is the closest  to the original glue,  you'll need a rubber hammer to pop out  the panels , in order to apply the right amount of glue  prior to nailing  brads   .

My recommendation would be to knock the panels apart, not to just re-glue and clamp.

You can use a rubber hammer and a block of wood (to protect the panels) when knocking off the sides, top, and bottom. Hopefully the doghouse (the peaked element in the bass bin) is in good shape so that you won’t have to disassemble it.

After you have the sides apart, scrape off as much of the existing glue as you can. New glue doesn’t adhere well to old glue; it wants to adhere to wood.

Roughen the seams with 120 grit sandpaper and than apply new glue. Any good PVA glue (Titebond, Lepages, etc.) should be fine. Clamp the sides in place and use an air nailer with brads to nail them as well. The glue will do the holding; the brads provide reinforcement while the glue cures.

Building a few jigs to help with alignment can only help.

Good luck!

• Like 1