Hooking Klipsch AW650s to Amp

10 hours ago, Randy Booth said:

I have a two channel amp that is 100w per channel.  Since the 650s are 85W speakers do I need to connect 1 to channel A right and the other to channel B left?  

Lol.  What would that accomplish?

9 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Lol.  What would that accomplish?

Trying to figure it out from reading stuff on the Internet or Youtube has been frustrating.  I'll read one thing that makes me think it's fine having both on the same channel and another that tells me I'm gonna f up the speakers if they are underpowered.  I've seen really good replies on stuff from you.  Just trying to learn and get the best experience I can.

Just so you understand my twisted logic, I am thinking 85 W each for the speakers for a total of 170 W.  I'm connecting this into a single 100W channel.  The internets tells me that when sizing speakers to an Amp you should have 1.2-1.5x the W for the channel (~200-240W).  I know something in my logic is off, I just don't know where I'm messing up.  Looking at all of the receivers on Klipsch's site I can't see that any of them would support 200W at 8 ohms per channel so again I know my logic must be off.

I'm a willing, humble pupil 😉 

And I found this note in one of the support docs for connecting AW650 to amp:

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402681610004-AW-650-Connecting-to-an-Amplifier

Note: Each AW-650 speaker will require a designated channel on the amplifier and cannot be wired in parallel. (See Image Below)

The image looks like what you guys are saying, but the note confusing.  Again, just wanting to be sure I'm setting things up right.

• Moderators

It is a little confusing. 

Note: Each AW-650 speaker will require a designated channel on the amplifier and cannot be wired in parallel. (See Image Below)

What they mean by that is hook one to your  left channel and one to your right channel. 

Sometimes people get more than two and try to hook up more that one speaker to one Chanel and they have major problems.

Use 12 ga speaker wire. Any will do. If you are running in yard or if not in a protected area you may want to get some Belden speaker, 2 wires in an insulated cover - designed for in ground. 

those are great speakers.

This is the commercial version

1654D1C5-A64A-49DD-8BC7-C86FF394E8A7.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Randy Booth said:

Just so you understand my twisted logic, I am thinking 85 W each for the speakers for a total of 170 W.  I'm connecting this into a single 100W channel.  The internets tells me that when sizing speakers to an Amp you should have 1.2-1.5x the W for the channel (~200-240W).  I know something in my logic is off, I just don't know where I'm messing up.  Looking at all of the receivers on Klipsch's site I can't see that any of them would support 200W at 8 ohms per channel so again I know my logic must be off.

Randy, for future reference, and we have all done this somewhere along our audio path, the wattage ratings for speakers in different than for an amplifier. 

For amps it’s what power they can put out. 

For speakers it is what amount of power they can take. The speakers are rated to handle 85w continuously, with much, much higher peaks, and above that you will fry your speakers. You will never run them anywhere near that because they are efficient at converting power to sound. Non horn speakers might have a rating of something like 88dB at 1 W.

With these speakers, they  have a sensitivity rating  of 95 dB measured at 1 meter with one (1) watt of power. 

If you double the power you will get a 3dB rise in output, so 2w 98 dB, 4w 101 dB, etc., 

Your receiver/amp will be able to handle them easily. 

• Like 1

As long as you use common sense with the volume control (don't try to see how loud your speakers will go by rolling the volume knob all the way up), you should be okay.  If your speakers start to make funny noises, turn the volume down immediately.  That's about it.  As an example, La Scala speakers are rated to take 100 watts, with very brief peaks to 400 watts.  However, from reading many members' experiences with them, the La Scala can be safely powered with amplifiers rated from 5 watts to 500 watts, with no worries.  

Amplifiers are not like your wall sockets.  Those carry 120 volts all the time, so you better have light bulbs rated at 120 volts or more, or you'll be popping them regularly.  With amplifiers though, they put out power that varies with the content of the music, going up and down all the time.  However, Klipsch speakers are so sensitive that most of the time they're running with 1 watt or less.  When they're cranked to 20 watts, they are REALLY LOUD, so you'll normally want to turn them down long before you turn the volume all the way up, just to save your ears.  As I said, use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Happy listening, and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1