Onkyo SR800 or Denon 3803?

Gordon Groff

I am planning a Klipsch HT 7.1 system w/RF-7 mains and Center. Surrounds and rears prolly RC-7 or RB-5II depending on which I can make physically fit. (I dreamed of RF-7's all the way around, but NO WAY). I do not care for the RS-7's.

Anyway, I'm looking at either the Onkyo SR800 or Dennon 3803. Anyone have an opinion on what would work better w/the Klipsch's?

Gordon

Gordon~

I owned the Onkyo and took it back to get the Denon-3802 (the model the 3803 replaced). From what I found the Onkyo is high on features, down a bit on stated amplification, and strong in user friendliness. The Denon feature list is comparable, the amplifier section is stronger, but as far as configuration goes, it's a bit more quirky. The 7's are so efficient that either amp will drive them with no problems. I would carefully compare the feature set for each and also read some reviews of user's experiences when configuring each of them. I'm a Denon fan myself so I'd recommend the 3803, but if Denon wasn't available, the next brand I'd buy would be Onkyo. You might also want to take a look at Onkyo's Integra line.

HTH

~shoe

I have the Onk sr800 and like it so far. Check this posting out for the stated wattage for a rebuttal to the stated wattage issues.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB71&Number=338154&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I am not sure if the numbers are valid; I have not checked them out myself, but I found it of interest.

Anyways, Good Luck!

I've been thinking about this for weeks and finally broke down and got the 3803 today. I had gone to a local Denon authorized electronics shop last weekend and tried to haggle, but they would only come down from $1199 to $1099. I wanted it for $1000+tax.

I had figured that this price was about what it would cost me if I bought in on the web from an unauthorized (including shipping, tax(most of the best deals were in my state), and an extended warranty (since Denon supposedly won't cover the basic warranty in this instance).

Today, I happened to be near a different branch of the same electronics chain. I made the same offer to them and the manager jumped on it. To tell the truth, I was a bit shocked, I really hadn't planned on coming home with the 3803 tonight.

PS - My wife was with me, but never heard how much it cost. She really wanted to know, but I persuaded her that in the interest of our marriage, she'd be better off never knowing.....On a positive note, once we got home and I hooked it up, she agreed that it was significantly better than the old piece of crap amp we had. I'll still never tell her how much it cost. 1.gif

I had the onkyo 898,didn't care for it,although it was pretty,and most of my gear was onkyo.Got the 3802,sise by side,I prefered it,this was about a year ago,I have been very happy.Although the 898 was more money,list, I could have had either one for about the same price.

i have a yamaha rx v2092 receiver and i like it alot. i compared it to a pair of mark III tube amps, and was pleased. it was'nt quite as smooth but, it had that same powerfull sound with good detail. although, i will say the yamaha was a bit fatigueing at high volume <107db>. i have less than $450 into it, thats why i have yamaha and not denon. i have always liked denon products and if i had to choose between yamaha, denon or onkyo, i would take the denon. i dont see many people on this forum with yamaha but, i'm happy with it. dave1.gif

Very adjustable Crossover? This must be a new feature, I thought they only had 80, 100, 120.

The Denon does have the VERY COOL Video Upconversion, which mens you can run any combination of Composite, S, and Component Video and have Just one set of component out to your TV. This is so cool and makes life a lot easier. That feature alone makes the Denon worth the investment.

i had real success with onkyo, including if something went wrong, strong support, now denon, a very different story, it was kind of like sony, you bought it, now it is your problem, plus i never hear any onkyo complaints, but have seen many denon problems12.gif and i will disagree again, onkyo's power supplies are real, and as far as i could tell, clean. i switched basically because seperates are all around better than recievers12.gif