811A Based SET?

JohnA

It appears an 811A tube, often used in RF power amps, could be used in an audio power amp and may produce a 160 watt audio amp.  True?  If not, how much power could it produce? 

I had a pair of 8 watt monoblocks once.  They were fine for most listening, but I'd really want 50 to 60 watts/channel.  Could the 811A do that?  How well would it sound?

The late Roger Modjeski played with those transmitting tubes building audio amps with them but no easy task. He talked about it in one of his presentations at the Burning Amp Festival years ago. I believe it was a SET amplifier and I am sure it made plenty of power. The heat will be tremendous though in a home environment if you can find someone with Rogers talent to build it. You will be dealing with extremely high voltages. In theory I suppose it could be built but not many could do it. Anyways if attainable it would way more power than we would ever need with our speakers. 

I'm still looking for that 50 to 60 watts/channel.  I'm driving my La Scalas with 125 wpc.  While certainly more than enough, I wouldn't want less than half for the trip through "Sweet Jane", "I Don't Need No Doctor" and "Layla".  😆 

• Like 1

A push pull tube amp will get you real close to the number you are looking for. For instance the Dynaco ST-70 or a McIntosh tube amp as examples. The majority of SET amps are in the range of 6 watts give or take a few. My friend of mine who runs a vintage audio shop was skeptical about a 6 watt amplifier having enough power until I hooked it up to his setup with a few speakers to demonstrate. Passed with flying colors as far as enough volume.