1978 La Scala's and I believe 1969 vertical horn Cornwall's

I'm needing to recone/replace woofers in 2 1978 La Scala's. I need to do the same on 2 1969 Cornwall's vertical horn. What is my best option? I'd like to keep the original speaker frames. Do I just buy 4 Klipsch K33E replacements? @ $150-160 each.

Or has anyone tried DIY recone kits I've seen available online?

I think recone kits are $55-60 each bucks plus the needed adhesive. Another $10-15 each Plus shipping cost?  I'd say $80-90 in parts minus labor.

I own 3 pairs of 1978 La Scala's. Over a 2 year period. I drove over 8000 miles to purchase. Brooklyn, VT

Trenton, NJ

Hutley, NJ 

I'm probably a Klipsch nut.

1989 Heresey's (My first Klipsch speakers purchase).

3 ksw12 subwoofers.

3 pairs of 1978 La Scala's (Birch lacquer stain, This is my first pair purchased. Named "Katie & Kathy Klipsch" I made 2 custom built 3/16" thick steel stands with ksw12 powered subs mounted inside) powered by Adcom GFA 5800 amps and Adcom Preamps.

2nd pair Birch raw. (I call these "The Whores" previous owners were very hard on the cabinets)

3rd pair "The Queens" Birch Dark stain with factory full face grills, in excellent condition and original boxes!

3 sets of THX 2.1 computer speakers.

1 pair 1969 Cornwall vertical horn in Walnut. Bought from Minnesota because the price was right.

LOVE MY KLIPSCH 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums!

Are the woofers not working? The K33s can last a long time.

Have you called Klipsch to check the price? You may need to give them the serial number for the LS. before you can get them.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, Don in Dubuque said:

I'm needing to recone/replace woofers in 2 1978 La Scala's. I need to do the same on 2 1969 Cornwall's vertical horn. What is my best option? I'd like to keep the original speaker frames. Do I just buy 4 Klipsch K33E replacements? @ $150-160 each.

Or has anyone tried DIY recone kits I've seen available online?

I think recone kits are $55-60 each bucks plus the needed adhesive. Another $10-15 each Plus shipping cost?  I'd say $80-90 in parts minus labor.

1 pair 1969 Cornwall vertical horn in Walnut. Bought from Minnesota because the price was right.

LOVE MY KLIPSCH 

You're in like company here!

Your '78s are likely made by Eminence in KY and they will have proper recone kits to restore them to OEM performance.  Eminence probably will not sell to you directly.  Look for a gray ink stamp number in the back side of the cones, 15162?.  Also look for the EIA build code.  It will be 67-xxxx; 67 for Eminence and xxxx for build week and year. 

The '69s may not have Eminence woofers, you you will need to start with the EIA code and determine who made them.  However, early K-33-Es might well be a good match for the cabinet.  compare the dimensions of your cabinets to that of mid '70s Cornwalls.  If your woofers have failed, I'd recommend ebay for vintage replacements.  If you want new, consult Klipsch to see if the current K-33-E is a good match to your cabinet. 

There is enough precision required that I would not DIY a recone.  I say this after reconing a pair of Peavey 1504-4 woofers built for quick, easy cone replacement in the field, requiring no gluing. 

13 hours ago, JohnA said:

Your '78s are likely made by Eminence in KY and they will have proper recone kits to restore them to OEM performance.

With speaker old like this there is not guarantee that what is currently inside is factory provided. Best would be to open them and check what is in place.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, Don in Dubuque said:

Do I just buy 4 Klipsch K33E replacements? @ $150-160 each.

spending   100$ for low quality aftermarket kits is not going to yield the best result  , klipsch Parts sell directly  ,   the K-33-E  was 132$ a year ago