Quartets Popping at High Volume

MRM928

Hello , looking for some insight and ideas please.  

I recently picked up a pair of Quartets for my Marantz 2270.  They sound fantastic until I push them past 50% volume.   At that point I begin to hear a popping sound coming from the Mid area maybe.   

I originally thought they would be a great fit for my 2270 because they’re 8ohm and the older Marantz is better with 8.  

So does anyone know what’s going on here?   Is it a bad combination ?   Is it something with the speakers ?   I’ve read it could be crossovers , my knowledge is not at that level.  

All information is appreciated.  

Edited by MRM928
Correcting it.

• MRM928 changed the title to Quartets Popping at High Volume
6 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Could be the electronics

Could he VC over excursion

I agree it could be the voice coil over excursion. Since it's a horn loaded driver, I don't know what it uses in place of a spider to control excursion (maybe nothing?) but that's what I think is happening. I think the only remedy is to replace the driver.

To prove it's not the electronics, connect the suspect speaker's wiring to the working speaker and see if the problem remains. Conversely, you could connect the working speaker's wires to the suspect speaker and see if the problem follows the wire (then the amp is at fault) or the speaker (then the speaker is bad).

Be sure to shut off the amp while swapping wires and make sure the unused wires don't touch each other or anything metal.

11 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Fuses are your friends. 🙂

My old woofer repair guy (retired years ago now) used to preach this every time I'd see him he told me on "gigged" speakers he recommended two, the one obvious one on the outside that was easily replaced and one on the inside because too many people would just stuff in whatever they had on hand to keep the show going. 

I probably had a couple dozen woofers re-coned over the years I've only actually popped a handful myself always from over-driving them out of my friends woofers I've had re-coned about half of them were from catastrophic amp failures.

The KLF-30's I got back from my brother have had a "popping" issue for years now only does it when they're pushed to the extreme, kind of a headroom indicator I guess it only happens when the music is so loud no one questions the need to turn it down a bit they sound excellent otherwise. 

• Like 1