1978 Klipschorns

RKH

After many years of inactive listening I’ve retired and finding time to enjoy music once again.  Bought walnut K-Horns after visiting Hope facility in 1978 and still have them and love them.  My question is have there been any updates since 1978 that I should take advantage of.  I’m not interested in any “aftermarket” crossovers or replacement horns - just OEM updates.  Have been listening a lot over last few weeks and can’t imagine how they could sound any better, but thought I’d ask to see what may be available.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Sounds to me you like you don’t need updates! 

Probably not, but would hate to miss out on something great over last 45 years!  I see you’re in Smyrna…I’m in Marietta.  

37 minutes ago, RKH said:

Probably not, but would hate to miss out on something great over last 45 years!  I see you’re in Smyrna…I’m in Marietta.  

I’ll let others chime in on updates although as @OO1 mentioned crossover update would be a refresher. If you can solder order a kit from JEM and rebuild them yourself. 

as for Smyrna…. Luckily I’m just in unincorporated Cobb. 😉

13 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I’ll let others chime in on updates although as @OO1 mentioned crossover update would be a refresher. If you can solder order a kit from JEM and rebuild them yourself. 

as for Smyrna…. Luckily I’m just in unincorporated Cobb. 😉

We probably are closer than we think as I’m in N East Cobb right off I-575.  I tried to send you a message, but says I can’t for some reason.  Happy to meet for coffee some morning if you’d like.  

3 hours ago, RKH said:

finding time to enjoy music once again.  Bought walnut K-Horns after visiting Hope facility in 1978 and still have them and love them.

Nice that you kept them all these years. I would loosen and re-tighten the screws holding the speaker wires to the crossover board. Also give the K-55-V midrange driver a gentle twist to make sure it is snug against the horn gasket. Then I would play some music sort of loud, as a test, to make sure everything sounds clear and trouble-free at normal volumes.

9 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Nice that you kept them all these years. I would loosen and re-tighten the screws holding the speaker wires to the crossover board. Also give the K-55-V midrange driver a gentle twist to make sure it is snug against the horn gasket. Then I would play some music sort of loud, as a test, to make sure everything sounds clear and trouble-free at normal volumes.

Good suggestions.  When I was setting back up I did remove speaker wires, cleaned all contacts and reconnected, but I didn’t check the driver - which I will do just to be sure.  I bought these originally when I lived in B’ham then moved them to Dallas and now Marietta, GA.  With every move I have the wooden creates built after covering them with moving blankets.  They are in pristine condition and I’m glad I’ve held onto them all these years as well.  

• Like 1

You may, or may not need new capacitors.  If the sound is not out in the room with you, consider it.  I had a '67 H700 that did not and a '68 that did.  I have an unproven theory that speakers used regularly will not need new caps as soon.  At any rate, install high quality film and foil caps.  They don't need to cost $250 each, but spend some coin. 

One very good update, was the K-77-F version of the tweeter with a recessed flange that placed the mouth of the tweeter flush with the front of the motorboard (no more playing through a hole).  Not only does that eliminate the diffraction of the hole, but the tweeter itself responds to higher frequencies than the old AlNiCo tweeters you have.  That new tweeter is a modification of the ceramic K-77-M the factory went to in 1980.  The -F may be hard to find, but worth it.  The factory added "Z" brackets the the -M to do the same thing for a while, but that would require enlarging the tweeter hole in your top section. 

• Like 1