Replace Capacitors?

tragusa3

I bought these Khorns about a year ago.  They were in an estate auction from a Klipsch repair shop that had long since closed.  As I understand, the owner had a personal friendship with PWK.  There were a dozen or so Khorns at the auction, among other items.  Seems like everything there had sat, covered in dust for a long, long time.

I don't find any particular shortcomings in the sound, but knowing the age of these, I am naturally suspecting a capacitor change.  However, it does appear that these have some non-stock capacitors on them already?  including new wiring.  They appear much newer than the rest of the crossover.  Maybe these were rebuilt for a customer that never got them back for some reason?

What can you tell me from the photo?  Rebuild?  Or, has that been done?

Thanks.

crossover.jpg

Those look like the caps that Bob C. Used for a while when recapping crossovers, or just the ones he recommended back in the day. They are probably OK, but you might want them gone over and made to Klipsch specs. Dean can do them to spec, with the correct spec parts.

@Deang

• Like 2

Bruce is right. Those are the GE motor runs that Bob used to use. That doesn’t look like their work though. They use a polypropylene dielectric, which will make the top section brighter than it should be. OEM capacitors are Mylar. They are not very expensive. 

• Like 1

Yes.  Are you familiar with the shop?  I didn't know it existed and would enjoy knowing more.  It does appear these sat in storage for at least that long.

Seems like consensus is to replace with something modern.  I was thinking the mylar or polyproplyne that Crites carries (Erse)?

WC was a klipsch Dealer among several  other hobbies ,  btw  aftermarket caps no matter the brand will not  sound better than  the GE cans ,  leave as is ,or buy the  new klipsch parts if you   want  an improvement .  

• Like 1

Caps came in today!  I want to tackle it tomorrow.  However, every instruction I see online shows the AA with 3 capacitors.  Quite simple to replace, IF YOU HAVE THREE.  I have four capacitors as shown in the photo.  Can anyone point me to some install instructions?  

Maybe I just pull it all apart and follow the instructions I see for changing 3 olds for 3 news?  I guess that's all I can do.

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tragusa3 said:

I just finished one of them.  Can I get some "approval" before I do the second?  I followed two different YT videos.  Pretty sure I have it, but I make silly mistakes sometimes.  

is the screw at  upper left a brass non-magnetic screw