buying ki-396

Heritage_Head

On 10/7/2023 at 6:33 PM, Heritage_Head said:

I have experience in klipsch pro audio (I had 3KPT904s behind a screen for some time)…. as much work as I have done on the la scala (i’ve upgraded every driver and the crossover) …they are still not 510s…

I still have your 3 KPT904s!  Blow me away every day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whew… glad to hear raw birch is not all they’re cracked up to be. I would always have wondered. Had I been in the unlikely position to order “new”, I would have been leaning hard in that direction too!

The big black grill and 16 black bolts (and one big screw right in the middle on the top) probably make for an odd spectacle.

Did Cory add any suggestions about a stand, whether it be screw in bolts or something more elaborate? As they come, they don’t sit flush on the floor and you won’t want to scuff up the new cabinets.

6 minutes ago, OO1 said:

. Paducah  special ...

"  we offer a custom version  for home use.  We delete the flypoints mentioned above, build it out of MDF instead of plywood, use large rubber feet on the bottom, and finish it with the matte black finish that was found on the Forte III special editions.  These are not stocked, must be custom built.   "

Oh yea I saw that on there website . I didn’t notice the MDF part 👍

13 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Whew… glad to hear raw birch is not all they’re cracked up to be. I would always have wondered. Had I been in the unlikely position to order “new”, I would have been leaning hard in that direction too!

The big black grill and 16 black bolts (and one big screw right in the middle on the top) probably make for an odd spectacle.

Did Cory add any suggestions about a stand, whether it be screw in bolts or something more elaborate? As they come, they don’t sit flush on the floor and you won’t want to scuff up the new cabinets.

No I didn’t ask him about that. I have carpet….but I still will probably get some rubber feet for them (from Amazon or something). What do the bottoms look like? 

6 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Thats who I bought them from 👍

they offer a custom  MDF version of the Ki-396 ,  same internals as the Pro version , but without  fly points  , big rubber feet  , same finish as the Special Edition Forte III

8 minutes ago, OO1 said:

they offer a custom  MDF version of the Ki-396 ,  same internals as the Pro version , but without  fly points  , big rubber feet  , same finish as the Special Edition Forte III

Me personally I don’t want to lose much bang for buck (paying a lot more for a more expensive finish). So I didn’t really consider that when I read it. The raw birch was only a few dollars more so I considered that.