buying ki-396

Heritage_Head

24 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

The way Cory made it sound they don’t do any what you just described with these. In fact, the exact opposite. I have nothing to go by other than what he told me, so I’m not arguing one side or the other, of course. 

It's hard to argue with what Cory has to say. He won't steer you wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

So basically, they just put them together and they skipped the regular black textured, paint part of the procedure and ship them. Is how he explained it (at least how I understood it anyways).

paint is a sealant and a protective coat ,   a pair of raw birch speakers need lotsa tender loving care   ,  raw birch  is not for everybody 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OO1 said:

paint is a sealant and a protective coat ,   a pair of raw birch speakers need lotsa tender loving care   ,raw birch is not for everybody 

I am definitely not a black speaker guy (I’ve owned wayyyyyy too many lmao)…. I would much MUCH rather have a really beautiful cherry wood with deep thick top coat glass any day all day …. I know where coming from and I agree. 

2 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

image.thumb.jpeg.dadecebd73df4bab98fe41cd15167a85.jpeg

What do you think of the A-55-G’s compared to the standard K-55?  

Are you nervous about the trade off between the bass of the La Scala and the 396?

These are question I have myself as I am looking at getting a pair of KP301’s or 396’s. I’ve had a few pair of the pro speakers, but not the two models I mentioned above. I love my La Scala’s. They will stay no matter which pair of pro speakers I get. 

• Thanks 1

So…, my La Scala-ish speakers have unmentionable, unauthorized parts in them. Someone broke into my house and threatened my family if I didn’t let them perform these mods…

From where I sit, quite figuratively, it’s not an issue of a bass trade off, the bass of the 396s although spec’d higher sounds lower to me. And the K-48 (any iteration) produces tight, fast, clean, and detailed bass.

It’s more of a “live sound” versus “studio sound” argument that is brewing.

I have yet to use more than simple tone controls on the 396s, comparing both sets of speakers “flat”, but wholly believe equalization may take them out of the studio and onto the stage. 

Not there is ANYTHING wrong with their sound as they stand. These remind me of my first pair of Tractrix horn equipped speakers, Forte 2s, only with more of everything. I find myself looking up from my screen and replaying songs I’ve listened to for decades. Again.

ANOTHER thing I have yet to try is removing the grilles. These are pro models, built for battle, and there is an acoustic foam liner behind the perforated metal grilles. Removal of the grilles would no doubt bring a presence to the sound that cannot be achieved behind these screens.

ONE CAVEAT to anyone new to these, @Heritage_Head, and others thinking of removing the grilles…

Lay the speakers flat on their backs before removal. The screws, all 11 of them, have a hollow tube spacer between the motorboard and the grille.

And take your time, I can’t even count how many screws I’ve stripped and surfaces I’ve scratched in my excitement, sigh.

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Are you nervous about the trade off between the bass of the La Scala and the 396?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

What do you think of the A-55-G’s compared to the standard K-55?  

These are question I have myself as I am looking at getting a pair of KP301’s or 396’s. I’ve had a few pair of the pro speakers, but not the two models I mentioned above. I love my La Scala’s. They will stay no matter which pair of pro speakers I get. 

Thanks for posting….so Klipsch (Roy specifically) doesn’t want us talking other brands of drivers and stuff … (feel free to pm me about those questions I’ll talk your ear off in a pm about it) 

Bass …what?  Never heard of it 🤣🤣lol  jk….. what I mean is anything under 80 Hz is handled by the sub for my system….I am not nearly the purist that others here are in terms of all horns everything …Im quite happy with a direct radiator (giant sub), kicking the crap out of my chest with bass.  So anything under 80 Hz  I don’t really care that much. 

The 510 horn for me is kind of a devil, and an angel. 😇…..Once I heard it, I don’t really want anything else. I’ve been chasing it for 3 1/2 years…..I know there’s better(402 for example) , but I personally have never heard anything better. 

Plus it’s just fun to tinker. 

Hopefully I wont ruffle too many feathers here but you would think that Klipsch would be happy to have us compare their stuff to other stuff, but for whatever reason they’re very uncomfortable with us talking about other products versus other products….. Maybe one of the mods can PM me a good detailed explanation to why Klipsch is so afraid of comparing their products with other products? Last time I checked if you have the best stuff by all means, bring the other stuff right up to bat, we would be happy to square off. Right now. Right? 

I obviously only speak for myself, but , how many brands have any products in circulation from the 60s 70s 80s……whatever…… that people can’t stop talking about? 

• Like 1

I own all three - LS, 396 and Jubilees. The 402 has nothing to fear from the 510/mumps. There is no comparison really. The 402 is all encompassing, the 510 is much more “directed”. The 396 direct radiator, ported bass is more “live jazz club” sounding than the LS. Specs aside it certainly gives the impression of going lower than the LS, much lower. These three speakers perform very different from one another, different enough that each one has its own charm(s). 
I’ve built massive stands for the 396 positioning the 510 at the same height as the 402 atop the 535. The 396 could use a bit more sparkle on top which I have somewhat addressed. I have removed the foam line grills from the 396 which helps with the perceived lack of top end .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

One thing I can't remember was whether or not they were playing on their own or teamed up with a big ole horned sub.

Maybe Roy can remember for me!?!? :)

Don't recall the year, but I think it was 2009 (?) when I was there and they were outdoors with some of the big guns.

I had presumed the BIG speakers were playing but it was the 396's on top of the bass bins.

Yes.  Kept looking and fount it.  It was 2016

396 is on the outside of speaker edge, almost disappears with background.  My recollection is there was a second one on the left side (but havn't seen a picture to verify that.)  I walked outdoors, heard "that sound" and thought it was that MWM Grande (correct name?) was playing and it was the 396 with Roy once again, snookering us!

396.thumb.jpg.b41cb6cf439707dd05109164d5812c80.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1