Great DIY project in A.C.A. pages!

skaloumbakas

Hi,

A distinguished A.C.A. member Aristidis Coumpas (ARCO, you know him already here...), has just finished his last DIY project, which is a Parallel Feed, Dual Mono SET amplifier with 45, VT52, 300B and SV811-3A tubes.

paper31_45ups.jpg

He is using it now as his primary amplifier, driving his Klipschorns and he has included a full report on all construction details in the "Audio... papers" section of the Club's web-site. Just visit 'THE GRACES' - Building of my 45 (and consorts...) triode SE tube amplifier.

Enjoy

Deang and Invidiosulus thanks!

It looks cramped because of the DC regulated filament supplies that cater for 4 power tubes. And the weight is 88 pounds, out of which 66 relate to transformers & chokes. Poor me, if I only knew!

Fortunately she sounds fantastic!

Arco, If you knew how hard it was to get ole Krut Strain to give me that schematic and take the shots for the MagneQuest website, you would send me a small donation! heh....

He is an interesting individual to say the least and a bit on the eccentric side. And ole Krut (spelling a term of endearment) was not into responding to the mails that site would bring. I thought a DIY section to the MagneQuest site would be a worthwhile addition so bugged the two loons doing interesting things with Cobalt Parafeed SET that I knew: Jean-Francois Lessard and Kurt Strain. Both of those amps are EXCELLENT amps and many have done them since posting. Not long after I posted that Krut 45, he tried tube rectification. I just never updated it as I had done enough free work on that site.

mq.jpg

An additional amusing tidbit, Kurt had made that amp on what looked to be a "drawer" from a kitchen! IT has the metal handle on the front and everything. Leave it to me to actually spend time erasing the handle from the amp and making it look like a wood case. Heh.... That amp in reality actually has a METAL handle on the front.

If anyone is interested in Jean-Francois and Krut's 2A3 and 45 Cobalt Parafeed amplifiers, take a look here for the articles and schematics:

http://www.magnequest.com/diy2.htm

kh

ps- Nice article btw. I enjoyed the read. Amazing amp as well. Very unique.

Mobile,

I should thank you for helping make this circuit public. It surely has proved extremely versatile as well as very good sounding. Also, rather easy to implement and bug free.

From what I learned, Kurt has actually returned to the 45, running a 45 SET and a 45 PP. The SET sounds better and resides in his main system, with the PP (7W/ch) playing in a second system...

Funny thing is that he tried to run 45's operating at 71A biasing and he ended in prefering them over the 71A's.

Experimenters of the world unite!