Kg4.2s eating amplifiers

cmak4265

ive had a couple recievers only play one of my kg4.2 after a certain amount of time. Today i connected them to an old realistic and they sounded great for a couple songs then i literally heard one speaker fade out. after an hour of one speaker the other one made some slight bass tones for about 30 sec. when one speaker is plugged into different sides the working side changes, it just wont play both L and R at the same time. I checked the connections inside the speaker and elsewhere and tighened a couple but that didnt make a difference!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cmak4265 said:

ive had a couple recievers only play one of my kg4.2 after a certain amount of time. Today i connected them to an old realistic and they sounded great for a couple songs then i literally heard one speaker fade out. after an hour of one speaker the other one made some slight bass tones for about 30 sec. when one speaker is plugged into different sides the working side changes, it just wont play both L and R at the same time. I checked the connections inside the speaker and elsewhere and tighened a couple but that didnt make a difference!

Welcome @cmak4265

Sounds like could be your receivers could be the main problem. Any other speaker to try? Thanks

On 12/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, cmak4265 said:

the crossovers may require servicing , The capacitors are 32 years old ,   get yourself an ESR meter , and check the capacitors for ESR loss ,

if the ESR loss is high .......contact JEM, they sell klipsch OEM capacitors . 

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/capacitor-kits

Thanks guys! the receiver only played one speaker on a different set...is there a chance that my speakers are breaking the amps? this happened with a pioneer 1018 which i bought to power the speakers. two worked then the right channel blew after --->the cones got messed up with heat (in a storage box) im thinking maybe ill have to look into the crossovers! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cmak4265 said:

Thanks guys! the receiver only played one speaker on a different set...is there a chance that my speakers are breaking the amps? this happened with a pioneer 1018 which i bought to power the speakers. two worked then the right channel blew after --->the cones got messed up with heat (in a storage box) im thinking maybe ill have to look into the crossovers! 

Wow, sorry about the problem.

Fuse?

An open or shorted component in a crossover isn't going to kill an amp.

I'd put a voltmeter across the input terminals of each speaker and at least verify they measure something close to their nominal impedance,

whatever is usually listed on the terminal cup. That will at least give you peace of mind. Then it's on the amps.

I took the ohm meter to both speaker terminals and they both read 4 which is strange because they are supposed to be 8? the speakers say they re from 1996 but i thought that the 4.2s were 92-94...Im pretty sure that the amps arent the issue cause its done this with 3 of them. Probably gonna have to pull the crossover which sucks. Im wondering if some of the speaker connections were a tiny bit loose and caused a short which hurt the crossovers. When i hook up only the faulty speaker it sounds like theres a crossover issue. 

9 hours ago, cmak4265 said:

would you recommend the kit from crites?  time to learn to solder! thank you so much!!

no , steer away from aftermarkets , as they do not meet klipsch audio specs  which affects the sound of your speakers  , contact JEM , they sell klipsch capacitors 

theaudioroom@verizon.net  https://jemperformanceaudio.com/capacitor-kits

• Like 1