Female voices: Cornwall 3 or Heresy 4?

Little Wolf

Hi  all,

I have since several years a pair of Cornwall 3; my room is approximately 13 x 25 ft and my seating position is 9’ from the the speakers.

I love to listen to female voices: jazz, pop, folk, etc...

For this kind of music, in your opinion, which speaker is better? Cornwall III or Heresy IV?

Edited by Little Wolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

Hi  all,

I have since several years a pair of Cornwall 3; my room is approximately 13 x 25 ft and my seating position is 9’ from the the speakers.

For this kind of music, in your opinion, which speaker is better? Cornwall III or Heresy IV?

the Cornwall III is pretty close to a Heresy III  as both speakers share the same HF drivers and horns ,  but the Heresy IV has a superior and much larger Midrange driver   , meaning  the Heresy IV will be superior in terms of vocals versus a Cornwall 3 .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

and Cornwall IV? Maybe has the pros of Heresy IV and the pros of Cornwall 3?

definitely , the Cornwall IV has the same midrange driver as the Heresy IV +  the advantage of a much larger midrange horn ,  here's a video showing the CW IV going head to head with the JBL 4367 Studio monitors worth 3 x the price 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

definitely , the Cornwall IV has the same midrange driver as the Heresy IV +  the advantage of a much larger midrange horn ,  here's a video showing the CW IV going head to head with the JBL 4367 Studio monitors worth 3 x the price 

I switched from the CW3 to the CW4 myself. The CW3 is worth about €2500 on the second-hand market in the Netherlands, while the CW4 is around €5500 to €6000. Whether the audible difference is worth the price gap is a tough call for me. However, the CW4 is undoubtedly the superior speaker, and if the financial flexibility allows, I can definitely recommend it.

• Thanks 1

The CW4 has already been mentioned , but I have no idea if this speaker is even an option for you. But I found the CW4 to sound fresher and more detailed, with more air in the music compared to the CW3. The CW4 performed better with female voices than the CW3.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

Hi  all,

Given the size of your room, I wouldn't choose the smaller Heresy. If you know the CW3 well then it's no risk at all to choose the CW4 because you won't get any nasty surprises. I mean the bass performance...no problems if you don't have any now. The gain would simply be better midrange and treble response...and probably better bass too. It's always very difficult to recommend a speaker if I know it well but if I don't know the room of the questioner. But you can only improve with the CW4.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little Wolf said:

Good question!

I think the 3s are good for female voices but not very very good.

In my opinion sometimes there is a predominant in mid-low frequencies that afflicts typical clarity of female voice. 

you cant compare a Cornwall with a Heresy , these are 2 different speakers , the Heresy is  hands down the best speaker for Vocals ,  period , because it's a Studio Monitor style speaker for crisp and detailed HF  .

21 minutes ago, OO1 said:

you cant compare a Cornwall with a Heresy , these are 2 different speakers , the Heresy is  hands down the best speaker for Vocals ,  period , because it's a Studio Monitor style speaker for crisp and detailed HF  .

Take Little Wolf‘s room size into account and his positive experience with his room filling CW3.

17 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

I think the 3s are good for female voices but not very very good.

you can always buy a set of Heresy of any generation and use them in conjunction with the CW 3 , that would be the ideal setup for better vocals , there is no need  to replace the CW 3  , but only to supplement it with better sound 

26 minutes ago, OO1 said:

you can always buy a set of Heresy and use them in conjunction with the CW 3 , that would be the ideal setup 

Are you sure? Two different speakers as a „wall of sound“ in one line? No cancelations, no different points of sound origin?