Klipschorn, tail boards or not with tight corners?

Simple question, has anyone measured, with REW, whether tail boards on the Klipschorns, with proper and tight corners, are constructive or destructive, help or hinder?  Or are they only intended for those without good corners?  Please don't respond with "if you have good corners, don't worry about it".

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 6:53 AM, Audiophile53 said:

Simple question, has anyone measured, with REW, whether tail boards on the Klipschorns, with proper and tight corners, are constructive or destructive, help or hinder?  Or are they only intended for those without good corners?

The enclosed back Klipschorn cabinet is a design upgrade. I am not aware of any REW comparisons between the original style and the enclosed back style, but I would be willing to bet that the enclosed back cabinet will produce more consistent measurements if tested in multiple different homes. Plus it allows for toeing in or toeing out, if needed, to aim your speakers.

P.S. I have some original style Klipschorns, in good corners and sometimes daydream about enclosing the backs or buying the new AK-6.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:53 AM, Audiophile53 said:

Simple question, has anyone measured, with REW, whether tail boards on the Klipschorns, with proper and tight corners, are constructive  

enclosed backs alike the AK-6 /AK-5 are a plus structurally and sonically even if you have proper corners , since the khorn cabinet's backbone becomes stronger and stiffer by the addition of quite a few  braces to the sides and tail piece  , all of which are  then covered over with 3/4 inch panels resulting in improved bass response , 

The reason I ask that with tailboards you reduce the area by the 3/4" tailboards.  I have tailboards on my pre tailboard Khorns and before I remove to test them I thought I would ask the question.  It likely it is negligible with good corners.

18 hours ago, Audiophile53 said:

The reason I ask that with tailboards you reduce the area by the 3/4" tailboards.  I have tailboards on my pre tailboard Khorns and before I remove to test them I thought I would ask the question.  It likely it is negligible with good corners.

that's not how they are constructed...

they are slightly wider at the 'hat' area allowing for the enclosure to maintain the internal volumetric area.

21 hours ago, Audiophile53 said:

pictures would help us to see what you have