Klipsh classic RF-7 with Marantz SR-5010

Remy65

25 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, the original RF-7s do GREAT with music when set up correctly. I upgraded constantly until I got these bad boys 20 years ago. I auditioned for another couple of years and then decided we were set! 

Having never owned any, I can't argue with that. Even the Heritage series receives similar statements as 'bright' sounding. I try to encourage listeners to tune their equipment to the horn speakers, rather than the paper cone speakers that they were used to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, the original RF-7s do GREAT with music when set up correctly. I upgraded constantly until I got these bad boys 20 years ago. I auditioned for another couple of years and then decided we were set! 

What is considered to be 'setup correctly'? I am new to this level of audio so not sure what that means and I know its something different for every ear.  But if I can get a baseline of what you mean it could be helpfull.

Thanks,

Remy

51 minutes ago, Remy65 said:

What is considered to be 'setup correctly'?

That's a loaded question imo.  I think there's many different ways you can get the sound you want - or there's only one real way - and that's as unique as you are.  Playing with the toe, EQ, tone controls, sources, and dampering (also room acoustics, but that's not always that simple) are your best bets.  I would also recommend an XO rebuild.  I think they'd benefit fairly well from that and possibly help that brightness a bit.

• Like 2

I think the "brightness" is somewhat inherent with that speaker. The RF7ll addressed it, and it helped, the RF7lll addressed it again, and it helped again. 

There was a XO update for the original, and the tissue/tweeter update, along with all of the remedies mentioned here. It will just take some time and work to get them where you want them. They are spectacular speakers, soon they will sing!

Also, thank you for saving them, they sure are worth it.

• Like 1