Klipsh classic RF-7 with Marantz SR-5010

Remy65

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have the above. I use to have RB 51 I bookshelf's and they perform well above expectations. I just got the Marantz about 2 months ago.  So I recently purchase a pair of RF-7 classics with the cherry finish and the folks that had them before me did not take care of them. I spent the first hour just cleaning them up.

I finally hook them up (even thou they are not completely clean yet) and they are very bright. The RB-51's were very soft and pleasant to listen to.  I know that I am entering in a new area of audiophile when I picked the Rf's up but I am supposed to be wowed.  My hope is that I have no idea what I am doing and someone will point out the glaringly obvious thing that I missed and life will go on. That's my hope.

The other thing is that they also have damage on the cones. one is really bad.  See photos. In some as you can see there are still some dust in the twitter.

I suspect that I need to run thru the setup again with the new speakers and that may resolve my issues. But I need to borrow the mic back from a neighbor of mine.

What I hope is the good news in all this is that I only gave $200 for the pair.

My current plan is to take them apart and clean them up best I can then see if I can get someone to apply new laminate.

Any advise would be appreciated.

PXL_20240106_163532824.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billybob said:

Would cut off any theater modes and try direct 2 channel stereo mode, full range set to large first @Remy65

I finally got an Audessy mic and was able to calibrate. It now sounds much better!  I do plan to do some tinkering to try and get warmer tones from them. Then again it just maybe what they are.  

• Like 1

Since the calibration, as noted above, they are sounding much better. Now I'm going to take them apart soon and clean them up on the inside.  Like I said, they were not taken care of.  I will try to video it as I go. 

• Like 1

I will say that I tend to ignore what my pre or AVR's say with configuration at the front when using floorstanding or full range speakers.  I would encourage you to run them large if you aren't doing so already.  That should help a little bit too.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I didn't see if you were running a sub but if it can keep up with the RF-7s I'd set a crossover (60 to 80 hz) to relieve some stress on the AVR. Of course, if you don't have a sub set the speakers to large. That's my 2 cents

I am running 2 subs in a 6.2 config.  I currently have the crossover set at 200hz.  But I have seen the recommendation of 60hz in many places it I will be doing that next.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:54 AM, The History Kid said:

I will say that I tend to ignore what my pre or AVR's say with configuration at the front when using floorstanding or full range speakers.  I would encourage you to run them large if you aren't doing so already.  That should help a little bit too.

I am running them large.  That was the first thing I changed.  I do find them  still a bit brighter than I like but one step at a time ;)

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I didn't see if you were running a sub but if it can keep up with the RF-7s I'd set a crossover (60 to 80 hz) to relieve some stress on the AVR. Of course, if you don't have a sub set the speakers to large. That's my 2 cents

Also I believe in the adage, " Sub should be felt not seen."  Well thats what I say anyway :)

4 minutes ago, Remy65 said:

I am running them large.  That was the first thing I changed.  I do find them  still a bit brighter than I like but one step at a time ;)

Good, that should help a little.  I had thought once upon a time I had seen a similar complaint of the RF-7's on the forums here.  If I'm recalling right, there was some fiddling with fabric in or around the horn that resolved the issue.  I'd have to search the forums though to find exactly what it was.

Just now, The History Kid said:

Good, that should help a little.  I had thought once upon a time I had seen a similar complaint of the RF-7's on the forums here.  If I'm recalling right, there was some fiddling with fabric in or around the horn that resolved the issue.  I'd have to search the forums though to find exactly what it was.

Yes, I saw the same thing in this and other forums talking about lacing the twitter with a dampening foam.

My biggest issue now is trying to remove the large drivers.  They are not as simple as I thought they should be removing them.  Been trying to find something on the internet that will show me how to remove them without damaging anything.  Still trying to clean them up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Remy65 said:

Fwiw, if you are running them as Large you aren't crossing the lower end to the subs. If you set them back to Small I'd definitely lower the crossover to 80 Hz or below. 

The RF7 was said to be best in the HT arena and not so much so in the HiFi world. A lot of people deemed them to be "forward, brights" and such expressions. @Deang might be able to help you on refreshing the x-overs.  I have only owned the RF63 and RF83 and they did great on HT and with music.