Klipsch La Scala purchase with Mid and Tweeter driver issues

On 1/7/2024 at 2:59 AM, JohnA said:

I doubt they are available anymore, but new grilles to change the color for my second pair were quite inexpensive (~ $20 each).  They are held on with Velcro. 

The grills on my LS were also held on with velcro... I used a guitar pick (heavy) to go between the edge of the grill and cabinet. Pry loose. The grill shouldn't break.

That's a steal at that price. Welcome to the forums.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mycuff said:

I assume mine are stapled based on vintage. Will verify if I can ever get them out of my SUV!  The combination of weight and size make it a two person lift for sure.  

Or a dolly being very careful.

A strong teenager. Problem is the awkward shape, of course.

Not how I got my hernia. GF thought I was a lumberjack.

When I got mine, I backed my Subaru Forester up to the door... used two 2x4s from the back of the car, reaching into the house. I had an old heavy wool blanket I put on the 2x4s, and slid them into the doorway. I did them end over end into the living room. Nary a scratch on them. Did it again with another pair later. Just take your time a think it through. I weigh all of 135-140...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

the  Dealer installed optional grilles with klipsch fabric and  klipsch copper badges were stapled  

You mean like the ones I had... put on with velcro...

tweeter2.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OO1 said:

anyone can make their own grilles  with velcro and install trim   , it's not that hard to do

They were factory grills, really. I'm sure the crew in Hope could make them quite easily.

34 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the   Dealer installed  grilles were stapled , the optional grilles were made in Hope ,Arkansas    here's a 2002 thread that confirms that the grilles were stapled 

Those were stapled...mine were not... really. I was the third owner (at least). So, you could order them WITH grilles, held on with velcro. I don't see a problem here.

• Like 1

Well pretty sure mine are stapled, but wish they were black and removable.  Anyway, what is that little speaker next to the LS?  I ask because I have Quad/5.1 set up that I now need to figure out how to incorporate.  I think I need to create two separate systems.  The Klipsch would anchor the two channel set up.  Fortunately I have several turntables and receivers to choose from, but speaker spacing will not be ideal for one of the front pairs.   A good problem to have, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I have Polk SDA SRS too!

My JBL L100Ts are not so heavy, maybe 70 lbs, but the nice thing is the port in the back is a great hand hold for moving them around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

Anyway, what is that little speaker next to the LS?  I ask because I have Quad/5.1 set up that I now need to figure out how to incorporate.

Those are my Heresy IIs. They are about the same size as my JBL 4311s (think JBL L100 Century with the bright foam grills).

I thought mine were stapled too. The velcro held them tightly.

10 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

Well pretty sure mine are stapled, but wish they were black and removable.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, my LS were early '80s as well, with AL crossovers. Klipsch had brown and black grills made with 

• #17 = Duracrest, black, poly-olefin, stranded, coarse weave (Heritage only)
  • #18 = Duracrest, brown, poly-olefin, stranded, coarse weave (Heritage only)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Those are my Heresy IIs. They are about the same size as my JBL 4311s (think JBL L100 Century with the bright foam grills).

I thought mine were stapled too. The velcro held them tightly.

Funny, my back speakers are JBL 4410 studio monitors.  Same tweeter as the L100T.

Edited by Mycuff

Well some good news.  Seems like I have one bad tweeter.  The squawker is good!  Terrible wires on the squawkers. stripped off an inch on both and reconnected for now, but they need replaced.  I'm going to disconnect the tweeter wire and just run it to the other speaker (disconnecting that tweeter too).  Easier than swapping tweeters.  I'll update with a pic of the backside once done but likely ordering 1 tweeter diaphragm for $57 dollars.  Winning!

IMG_2026.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, seems like a bad tweeter.   Swapping the tweeter did nothing.  However, I also ran a few tests with a multimeter.  

1. I Set it to ohms/resistance. Disconnected the wires from the crossover to the tweeter and put meter leads on each wire.  I should read some resistance across the tweeter; less than say, 10 ohms. If the meter doesn't read anything, the voicecoil is open and the tweeter is bad.  I did not get a reading.  So tweeter is bad right?  Probably.

2. To check the XO, I set the voltmeter to AC Volts.  Attached leads to the screw terminals I removed the wires from. Turned the volume all the way down, and played static over the speakers. At no volume I should read 0 Volts or close to it.  That happened.   As I increased the volume, the readout should go up and that would confirm the XO is fine. If the reading doesn't respond to varying the volume control, the crossover is bad.  Unfortunately the reading stayed zero.  I still think the tweeter is bad, but I may also have a problem with the XO.

Small consolation, my grills are removable.  Not sure if velcro was standard, but why else would the surround be black if these grills were not original ?  If it was an add on you would think it would finished around the squawker and tweeter. The horns by the way are metal, and filthy.

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Edited by Mycuff
  • Like 2