Should I keep the Chorus II

Mike16w

I have a set of 1990 Chorus II speakers home on loan to see if I want to buy them. I love the efficiency and they are very revealing but I am not getting the emotional involvement that I have with my Vandersteen 1Bs. I swapped out the internal wiring and that helped. Is this common for horn speakers? This is the first ones I have tried. I looked at the crossover and it's apparent that there is a lot of room for tweeking (which I love to do). Would trading out the electrolitics and inductors make the speakers a little more involving. I am running it with an Antique Sounds Labs integrated tube amplifier. I had wanted to get these in order to try some SET amps. Well that is about it, what help can you give me....

Thanks

Mike1.gif

If you don't like the speakers I doubt that any tweaking will make them into something you like, why would it? Klipsch pretty well knew what they were about. Sounds like you want to change the speaker's basic "voice" which would really involve a redesign of the speaker. The results of such work could just as easily degrade the sound as improve it.

Nah, if they're not for you they're just not for you.

There are other, different sounding and argueably better horns than those by Klipsch. Don't give up on horns until you've heard a wider variety.

Mike,

Don't sell the Klipsch Horn sound short until you have lived with them for a while. I have a set of Chorus I speakers from 1986 and through the years they have left and revisited my main listening system many times. Most recently they again replaced a "high end sweet speaker", a pair of Nautilus 805's on May Audio Stands accompanied by a 10" Velodyne HGS sub. The problem always remains that no matter how I try (the B and W's were a gift from my wife!) it is hard once you have a speaker that elicits real emotion. If you sit in front of them for 15 minutes and you have no desire to get up and do something different, they may be for you.

I can say that the biggest change I've heard through the years was to upgrade my components to good cables (all Audioquest Coral and Diamondbacks and GR8 speaker cables). This seemed to make a big difference from the Monsters and Tributaries cables I was using. The speakers seem "faster" now and it has a more revealing live sound.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. I loved the speakers but they were missing some emotion. I had read some reviews of the Jensen oil caps. I bought some from Parts Connextion and upgraded the cross over. What a difference. The speakers have really tunred into something special and that is only with a couple of hours on the caps. They are suppose to take awhile to break in but they sound excellent now. I am glad I keeped the speakers.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm curious to know what exactly you did to upgrade the speakers? I too have Chorus I's since 1986 and am still completely happy with them. What were yours missing? How are they better now after you upgraded them? "Emotion" sounds to me like something the amp can give you, sort of like a sound scheme....

I'm curious too. The first time I heard Chorus IIs in early 1990, I nearly peed my pants. They had more pure "emotion" than any other similarly sized speaker I had ever heard. Unfortunately, I couldn't take them home and had to "settle" for a pair of Forte IIs. I've heard Vandersteens and they sound lovely - perhaps a bit "romantic" - but certainly cannot match match the dynamics, scale, impact, and raw energy that the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line up offered up in spades.

What kind of music do you listen to? This also may affect your taste in speakers in ways you never imagined...

"Get cornwalls and be done with it LOL"

I dunno, Jim, the Chorus is pretty close to the Cornwall (especially the II). If the original poster has sound preference issues with the Chorus, I doubt the Cornwalls would be of that much additional help.

Then again, if those Cornwalls were alnico with the old school crossovers, that may be a different story. That's a horse of a different color!

The Chorus, like the Cornwall, is very dependent on the electronics hooked up to them. They will sound as good as the rest of the electronics in the chain. Think tubes, or if you must go SS, think McIntosh.