DAC or not

I have a pair of "The Fives" and a R-121 SW.  Simplifying my system.  I love the sound and ease of use.  I mostly use a Lenovo Yoga 6 laptop USB to the speakers.  The laptop has 24 bit 192Khz sampling.  But internal DAC's in a laptop aren't the best.  Would I do better, will the sound be better, if I added a DAC like the Audioquest firefly red for example.  Thoughts please.

Thank you

Edited by jjbender
made a mistake
  • Like 1

I was using a Logitech Bluetooth adapter on my Fisher 440T receiver for phone/Spotify and was unhappy with the sound. Installed my Schiit Modi 3+/WiiM mini and was blown away with the improvement. So I'd say yes definitely use a stand alone DAC. I do not use Bluetooh with the WiiM it's just a remote in practice. Bluetooth isn't geat if you seek good sound.

15 hours ago, jjbender said:

I have a pair of "The Fives" and a R-121 SW.  Simplifying my system.  I love the sound and ease of use.  I mostly use a Lenovo Yoga 6 laptop USB to the speakers.  The laptop has 24 bit 192Khz sampling.  But internal DAC's in a laptop aren't the best.  Would I do better, will the sound be better, if I added a DAC like the Audioquest firefly red for example.  Thoughts please.

Thank you

If you’re using a USB connection from your laptop to your speakers you’re using the DAC in the speakers.

• Like 1