Found! Grills for Epic CF-4

triceratops

Grills have been located! Scroll down for the story. Thanks, everyone.

Most owners of Klipsch Epic CF-4 speakers are probably running them without grills, and I'm hoping someone out there will agree to sell me their grills!

Why? There's no way I can convince my wife that my Epic CF-4 speakers are living-room-ready without grills to cover the exposed cones, and this particular pair lost their grills long ago.

I realize this may be futile. Others have tried and failed, but I've gotta try anyway! Please help a Klipsch brother out and sell me your grills! Even if the price would be impractical, I'm willing to talk about it.

Thanks all,

triceratops

This was originally posted in Alerts, but it was suggested that it should be in Garage Sale, so here it is. Not trying to spam the Forum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, triceratops said:

I'm hoping someone out there will agree to sell me their grills! I realize this may be futile. Others have tried and failed, but I've gotta try anyway! Please help a Klipsch brother out I'm willing to talk about it.

Thanks all,

triceratops

People do part these guys out on eBay every so often you may get lucky there but who knows when? Just an idea here you might want to hit some CF-4 owners up for the dimensions and good pictures maybe you can make a set of your own? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to throw something half way decent to get you through until a stock pair shows up, which may take years unless you get really lucky. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

People do part these guys out on eBay every so often you may get lucky there but who knows when? Just an idea here you might want to hit some CF-4 owners up for the dimensions and good pictures maybe you can make a set of your own? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to throw something half way decent to get you through until a stock pair shows up, which may take years unless you get really lucky. 

@triceratops  That's what I was thinking, too.  Gonna be hard to just come across a set unless someone has a trashed cabinet pair or just likes parting things out.  They wouldn't be the hardest things ever to make as they only have 6 contact points to the speaker.  I build a set of grills years ago for a pair of JBL L100T's based on dimensions I gathered from others and they turned out great and were quite an interesting build.  Had to do the same thing with a pair of Infinity RSIIIb's that had broken particle board framed grills.  But I guess having spent 25 years in home/car audio/video and doing custom & high end installs for both made it easier to do those things.  

One place you might try calling is Speakerworks in Tulsa, OK and see if they are still building grills and if they would be able to do those.  It shows they are still doing grills but not sure for what kind.  I know Dave did many for JBL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

hit some CF-4 owners up for the dimensions and good pictures maybe you can make a set of your own?

49 minutes ago, avguytx said:

They wouldn't be the hardest things ever to make

Great minds think alike, I'm talking about you two.

I was thinking of 3/4" x Y x Z, bevel the edges, cut out the WTW and port areas, sand and paint all surfaces for the frames. Buy the right grill cloth and the right size of these and all that would be needed are the badges. We don't need to show you no stinking badges. 

On 2/16/2024 at 3:50 AM, jjptkd said:

On 2/16/2024 at 6:02 AM, avguytx said:

@triceratops  That's what I was thinking, too.  Gonna be hard to just come across a set unless someone has a trashed cabinet pair or just likes parting things out.  They wouldn't be the hardest things ever to make as they only have 6 contact points to the speaker.  I build a set of grills years ago for a pair of JBL L100T's based on dimensions I gathered from others and they turned out great and were quite an interesting build.  Had to do the same thing with a pair of Infinity RSIIIb's that had broken particle board framed grills.  But I guess having spent 25 years in home/car audio/video and doing custom & high end installs for both made it easier to do those things.  

One place you might try calling is Speakerworks in Tulsa, OK and see if they are still building grills and if they would be able to do those.  It shows they are still doing grills but not sure for what kind.  I know Dave did many for JBL.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:06 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Great minds think alike, I'm talking about you two.

I was thinking of 3/4" x Y x Z, bevel the edges, cut out the WTW and port areas, sand and paint all surfaces for the frames. Buy the right grill cloth and the right size of these and all that would be needed are the badges. We don't need to show you no stinking badges. 

Shout out to jjptkd, avguytx, and woofers and tweeters!

Thanks to the three of you for your thoughtful suggestions and encouragement! Since I posted my request for CF-4 grills I have been in close contact with the prior owner of these Epic CF-4 speakers. As luck would have it, yesterday the owner's wife was finally able to locate the original grills for the speakers stashed behind the door of their at-home office! I am really stoked that the grills surfaced after everyone involved thought they were gone for good.

They are a bit scruffy from being stuffed between the door and the wall for a few years, but nothing that can't be put right with some new grill cloth--which will definitely be easier than fabricating new grills from scratch. Thanks to all of you for your help! What's coming next is a group listening session comparing a pair of Generation 1 Epic CF-4's with a pair of Generation 3 Epic CF-4's. That will be fun!

• Like 3

• triceratops changed the title to Found! Grills for Epic CF-4
4 hours ago, triceratops said:

As luck would have it, yesterday the owner's wife was finally able to locate the original grills for the speakers

That's great. I'm sure that you're stoked.
Now, how about a picture or three? 😀

4 hours ago, triceratops said:

What's coming next is a group listening session comparing a pair of Generation 1 Epic CF-4's with a pair of Generation 3 Epic CF-4's. That will be fun!

I agree, that sounds like a lot of fun and thanks for inviting us. When, where, and what should we bring? 🤜🤛