crackling static sound from tweeters.

klipsch kid

Hello klipsch lovers.

it's the new guy.

I have noticed a crackling static sound in one of my tweeters. I have checked the amp and it appears to be ok. the static crackling noise seems to come and go, I think it could be a crossover problem . is it very hard to fix or could it really be the tweeter. any suggestions?

these are 1978 klipsch la scalas with athe alnico magnets.

If you havent done so, switch the speaker wires on the amp from the right to the left, if the other speaker starts making the crackling sound its in the amp. if the one that has the crackling sound quits you found the problem.IF the same speaker still does it after the switch over could be a crossover or the tweeter itself, maybe somebody with more knowlede then me will then help you out with this one.

When I first got my LaScala's home, I heard a buzzing sound coming from either the tweet or mid of one channel. The 1st thing I did was take a flashlight and look way up in the squaker. I found a little magnetic letter "R" up there from a childs playset. Hope it's that easy for you.

----------------

On 2/8/2003 12:24:39 PM Flason wrote:

When I first got my LaScala's home, I heard a buzzing sound coming from either the tweet or mid of one channel. The 1st thing I did was take a flashlight and look way up in the squaker. I found a little magnetic letter "R" up there from a childs playset. Hope it's that easy for you.

----------------

ROFL!!!

My guess is that the diaphragm wire is about to break. This is quite common on the K77. The wire from the network has a female disconnect connected to a male disconnect on the back of the tweeter.The male disconnect on the back of the tweeter is the problem. They always come loose from the tweeter housing. Take hold of it and see if it pivots on it's solder joint. If it does have someone listen to the tweeter while you gently rotate it from side to side. The tweeter might not even work in one position. If it sounds good in one position, then that is where it is making a good connect with the hair like diaphragm wire on the inside of the housing. Super glue it in that position and you may never have to replace the diaphragm. I've checked all my K77 tweeters, and the ones that rotated I super glued them in place, so they wouldn't move. When they are loose they will vibrate back and forth and eventually break the diaphragm wire. I found this out when two of my tweeters became intermittent in operation. For me it was too late and I had to replace the diaphragms.

If you are thinking of refinishing, STOP RIGHT NOW ! Before you do something that is irreversable - such as sanding through the thin outer veneer. The person to query on refininishing in this forum is HDBR builder, you can post a question for him, private message him, or e-mail ( if he has that option ) He has helped many others through their refinishing projects, and will advise you on the right products and procedures, and required reading material. He recommends a book, I don't recall the title, that is sold by home depot. I believe it has to do with finishing / refinishing all wood products.