2nd time in 3 years, audio has gone out on my Samsung TV

m00n

Purchased it brand new 3 years ago for $1,000.00. The audio just went out again for the second time... Needless to say my happyness with this TV has just sunk to an all time low. Too bad to because it has a beautyful image. Oh well, no more Samsung for me when I buy a new TV someday.

Opps... correction... I just looked at the receipt.... 2 years... I have only had it for 2 years. Bought it Jan/2001. It was Feb last year that it went out. I remember because I had to dicker with Samsung to honor the warranty because it was just about 3 weeks out of warrenty. They went a head a paid for the parts, but I had to pay for the labor.

This time I am just F**ked

M00N

Just a thought, if the video is still good on the TV, take the audio off a VCR and run that to an amp. I would never know if the audio quit on one of my TVs because it sounds so much better out of a VCR and with good speakers.

Bob

Bec, I have to now, but i'm ticked on pure priciple. This TV is only two years old and the audio had gone out twice... That is just not right in my book. I have the audio from the satelite receiver going into an old 2 channel stereo now.

I realize that it is besides the point, but why in the world are you listening to the TV's audio - Yuk! I don't think I have ever really heard the cheapo speakers in my TV and why would I! The the A/V Receiver do the talking. Anyhow there is an obvious problem in the TV's audio section design if it peter's out once a year. Samsung isn't really what I would consider a top quality product either.

Hey m00n,

I would have to agree with Frzninvt. Why even listen to the TV audio at all. I have a Mitsubishi that has very attractive "looking" speakers, but I have no idea what they sound like. I just pass the audio to my receiver and let it do the "talking". I even listen to the news with my HT system, which is not as nice as your RF7's.

I agree that a TV or pretty much any product that stops functioning right outside the warranty is annoying. Having it fixed on principle alone is completely understandable. Is the Samsung in your Theater room? It doesn't look like it from the pictures. (nice setup BTW) Maybe this is your chance for a real nice RPTV, or Projector with HDTV capabilities, HDTV rocks. Or stick with your Projector...I prefer a smaller clearer viewing screen over a bigger fuzzier one.1.gif Maybe I keep telling myself that, because I can't afford a projector.

Pathos.

I had my 32 inch TV for about 5 or 6 years now (about the same time I had gotten my Yamaha/Infinity gear) and I think I heard the internal speakers only once. That was when I first got the TV. I plugged it in just to make sure it worked before connecting up the HT (In case it didn't work, I did not want to through the hassle of unhooking everything to return it). It has been so long that I forget how they sounded, but I am pretty sure they will not sound as good as my HT setup. After that, I hooked it up to the rest of the HT and never used the speakers again since. However, as far as I know, they still work.

Even if you don't use the TV's internal audio section, it is still not a bad idea to try to get it fixed, primarily in case you want to sell the TV later or want to use it as a spare in the kid's room or where ever else no HT setup is available. If Samsung does not fix it, it may not be a bad idea to look inside to make sure it is not something simple like a loose wire. Of course, be extremely careful if looking inside the back of TV's since there are capacitars in there that have an extremely high stored charge - powerful enough to kill a person.

pathos, hey thanks for the complements. No the tv is not in my theater room. The theater is in a completely sepparate builiding from the house. The TV is in the house however.

skonopa, yea last time it went out, the tv repairmen had to replace the entire motherboard to the tv. Motherboard is what I assume it's called. It wasn't anything easy as I would have liked. I can only assume it's the same issue again.7.gif

Well, I hate to say it, but it IS a Samsung.

I don't like Samsung (see another post of mine a few weeks or months back) due to my personal experiences with them falling apart and just plain old crapping out on me.

I think the thing that made me comment about them before was the article I read about Klipsch joining hands with Samsung to market a home-theater-in-a-box.

Due to my experience with Samsung and their low-cost, unreliable products I didn't know what to make of Klipsch teaming up with them.

To me, it sounds like a BAD move and I get vibes of impending disaster (take a look at the promedia 5.1 issues for example) but I guess all Klipsch sees are dollar signs.

I would think that after the promedia 5.1 scam, they would want to stay FAAAAR away from any more potential quality control issues but instead they jump into bed with Samsung, which is but a small step above companies like Funai, GPX, etc.

Perhaps the lure of the almighty "buck" is leading Klipsch down a road I'd rather not see them take.

Time will tell...

----------------

On 2/13/2003 5:56:11 PM heresy2guy wrote:

Well, I hate to say it, but it IS a Samsung.

----------------

I have to agree. I've never owned a Samsung product, but at my workplace, our sales associates use none other than Samsung electronic cash registers. In the last 5 years we've used them, not a single register lasted more than a year! Some are used in outdoor locations and have gotten moisture inside due to the weather (they're always under protective cover), so they'd crap out sooner. But even the registers that are always used indoors don't last much longer...they either lock up, or the power just goes out completely! Just the other day I was training a new artist, and the keyboard just stopped working, then it would constantly beep, and then work again...off and on like this all day long! Yesterday it died, so we replaced it with yet another brand new Samsung from our warehouse. We have a contract with a local Samsung service tech, and they're kept mighty busy!

Wish my employer would purchase registers from another manufacturer, but he's tight with his money, and Samsung was probably the least expensive way to go.