Sub 12 blowing fuses

endover

Hoping I can get some fresh info.  I spent lots of time on the forum MANY years ago with my Klipsch Chorus II's and Academy setup but when kids came along, we didn't use the surround system so I stopped running it.  I also have a Sub 12 that's been sitting over in the corner for years possibly plugged in and powered on with no signal ever sent to it(my fault for not turning it off).  Long story short, my family has finally asked me to get the home theater up and running (kids are older now).  I used the YPAO to calibrate my system with the Yamaha V675 receiver and the sub goes out after a couple of minutes.  I replace the fuse and it instantly blows now.  I'm 3 fuses blown now and I've tried different power source and turning gain all the way down.  Any idea on what's wrong and what are my options?  I am budget constricted so I'm trying to find the least expensive way to get my sub back.  Thx for the help.

Common problem with sub amps when they’re failing.  You’ll have to pull the amp and see if any capacitors look bad or other obvious things.  The amp probably overheated if it was plugged in and left on for that long.

I’ve seen working Sub-12 models go for $50-75 on Facebook so even a replacement wouldn’t be that expensive.

Thx Wuzzer. So…I’m not an electrical engineer but I am an engineer. If I pull the amp out, what damage should I b looking for? Burn spots?  Safe to assume I could replace the caps and it would fix my issue (unless I see the whole thing is melted down lol).

1 minute ago, endover said:

Thx Wuzzer. So…I’m not an electrical engineer but I am an engineer. If I pull the amp out, what damage should I b looking for? Burn spots?  Safe to assume I could replace the caps and it would fix my issue (unless I see the whole thing is melted down lol).

Burnt caps/swollen caps/loose solder connections/etc.  Hopefully if there are any caps in question you'll be able to read the values printed on them to get replacements.

If it goes beyond my electrical abilities should I seek out a replacement plate amp or just move on and look for a new sub?  U referenced some pretty inexpensive sub 12s in your previous post. …and thx for the quick response. 

5 hours ago, endover said:

If it goes beyond my electrical abilities should I seek out a replacement plate amp or just move on and look for a new sub?  U referenced some pretty inexpensive sub 12s in your previous post. …and thx for the quick response. 

Personally I’d look for a new sub.  Plate amps can be difficult to match to an existing sub.

• Like 1

Look in the forum you are in now and the technical section.

If you are stealthy with capacitor and current, you may find an answer otherwise as said, a new or otherwise, new sub...

Received a quote of $150 to $200 to repair my Sub12 so after much angst I think I'm moving forward and just replacing it. As much as I'd like to look at the SVS line, budget is a real concern as my wife will remind me that I have too many other expensive hobbies...and she isn't wrong.  Even scratch and dent doesn't get the SVS SB1000 into my range.

I have an opportunity to pick up a new R-12SW for $130(combination of gift cards and coupons) so I'm about to pull the trigger but was checking for any other recommendations that I might be missing.  I'm greatly disappointed in the many reviews of the Klipsch Subs that blow fuses and flat out die (including my own experience) so I am very skeptical of the Klipsch subs but it's hard to pass up that price for a sub that will blend well with my current system and carry a decent warranty.  Any other thoughts before I jump in on the 12SW? thx!

Received my 12SW and playing around with levels, locations and letting it break in. Think I like it but jury is still out. For $150 new out of my pocket, it’s a great deal. So let me ask…just relating to performance (not reliability)…would I notice a big difference in sound if I were to eventually graduate to an SVS or other brand BUT SAME 12” driver?  Let’s just say $1k or less new?  Mind u I’m an old drummer and my hearing is still good but I don’t put myself in the audiophile category   Maybe I’m looking where to spend my money in a few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, endover said:

would I notice a big difference in sound if I were to eventually graduate to a [...] SAME 12” driver?   

The short answer is yes.  There's more to a sub than just the driver.  I had an RSW-10 outperform a PSW PRO 660i - which is a 12" Polk subwoofer.  The Polk wasn't a bad woofer, it just wasn't designed the same as the RSW-10, used a different cabinet acoustic method, better amp - just all around different.  Even a move from the R-12SW to the RP-1200SW would be a major difference in sonic experience.

• Like 1