AB Crossovers & Belles

peterbwreal

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of '88 Belles with an AB crossover. After much research and after speaking with AlK, I decided to order his crossover. His opinion is that the AB is not a very good crossover. Some of what he said was "I dislike the "AB" network most of all the Klipsch networks becasue it is

reverse equalized. It has a network that makes the level of the midrange (squawker) droop as it goes up in frequency."

Al seems extremely knowledgeable on the subject. You can visit his crossover at http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

As soon as I get mine delivered and installed, I will post my impressions.

Personally, I would opt for the Type AA, ALK or maybe the Klipsch Type AB-2. I have my choice of modified Type AA or ALK for my La Scalas. Though slightly different, both sound superb. I believe the ALKs would be flatter, especially in the tweeter's range. Have you read the comments on http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html ?

Peter,

My personal opinion is that I like the "AB" network least of the networks that came with the Belle. It runs the woofer full range and has a reverse equalizer on the squawker that reduces its out put as frequency goes up. I suspect it was an attempt to compensate for the metal horn harshness but only the engineer that designed it knows for sure. I doubt if it was PWK that desinged it. I would recommend my network or secondly the AA with modifications.

Al K.

• 2 weeks later...

Al, I take it you can build me a trio of ALK networks, 2 for the R&L Khorns & a 3rd for the Belle center? Would these all be the same or is there something different for the Belle as a center speaker?

Also price, I never got a firm answer from your website. $500/pair, so 3 would be $750?