Klipsch Makes Major Distribution Changes

Guest Joshua Ryan Hall

Curator of The Klipsch Museum in Hope, AR.

Approx. 2+ yrs. ago I contacted you as I have an original "REBEL" Type-K-27( Serial#267) finish M-7 For Sale. A gentleman who I believe was a vice-president immediately replied and expressed interest as the museum did not have such an early model. Iam still interested in selling itand would appreciate hearing from someone in the not-too-distant. Thank You!

Sincerely,

R.S.Bell,Jr. a.k.a. Wabidoux

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/8/2003 11:35:31 AM jzoz01 wrote:

Hey griff, got a question for you. Klipsch already has a 5 year warrenty on it's speakers, does best buy still try to sell a service plan on them? It seems like they are already covered for 5 years. I'm not planning on buying any, but just kinda wondering what their plan is, seeing as selling the service plans was always important there.

----------------

LOL!

Actually, the PSP (performance service plan) on speakers isn't a bad deal, really.

What BB does is give you MFG warranty plus 4 additional years, and covers things not normally covered by MFG warranties (blown drivers, dry rot, etc)

So for thirty bucks per box ($60 for towers, $30 for bookshelfs and subs) you get 9 years of additional coverage over and beyond the standard MFG warranty.

I sell that sucker on Athenas because of those silk tweeters, any of the all-weather speakers (because let's face it - AW's are going to rot out within 9 years of consistent outdoor use) and I sell it a LOT on subs (especially since MFG warranty on most subs only covers 1 year on the electronics)

All I'm saying as far as the salespeople are concerned is that there are good BB's and there are bad ones. Just like hifi shops.

You'll be pleased to know that the pressure to buy PSP's at Best Buy has suddenly dropped, as the internal company focus has shifted towards high-end selling. Those kids will now be pushing the best stuff they have, making a brief offer on the PSP, and offering you the best in cables, power conditioning, and other accessories they have.

The side effect is that these kids will have to learn how to sell audio properly, as they'll never be able to convince Joe Sixpack that he needs to spend $4,000 on a custom surround system when he can buy an HTIB for less than $500 unless they know their product and know how to sell it.

----------------

On 5/8/2003 9:13:57 AM Griffinator wrote:

I'm trying really hard not to be completely offended at all the slag directed at BB employees.

----------------

That's like hanging out all night on the corner with a bunch of hookers and wondering why you get arrested for soliciting. Seriously.

Joshua,

As a UK resident we have long since been deprived of Klipsch as a brand. Where more and more people at the high end are using valve amps (esp SET) this is a nonsense. DEANG makes a valid point and a Promise. Pay him his salary (commission?) and he will get many more stores selling Klipsch.

I cannot offer that for you in the UK at present as I am already very successfully engaged in sales over here (and would need alot more money) but surely there is a big enough market here? Look how uch high end stuff comes from UK.

Perhaps we in the UK have finally overtaken America as the masters of selling, marketing and being hungry to make sales.

John Capon6.gif

Griff, I went into my local best buy last night and the Klipsch line had just been set up. I must say the presentation looked nice, but I really hate those touch pad thingies, they suck. Why the hell does bb use those things. Also, do they have a stardardized wiring diagram for each set up, or is it just up to the local manager, because I was auditioning the SF2 system and something didn't sound right. Well I figured it out. The left speaker was wired out of phase and the sub crossover was set at like 40htz. Also, who picks the music that goes in those changers, because every song on that cd sucked. Is that anything you have control of or is that sent down from HQ?

----------------

On 4/3/2003 1:41:14 PM mcqueene wrote:

Now that I know I don't have them to take care of me, I am seriously considering jumping ship to something like Paradigm. I've been to Ultimate Electronics and they were barely a step above Best Buy as far as service and knowledge went.

It's really kind of sad. Like one poster said, I've always taken some smug pride in knowing that I had a system that was not well known but in many cases vastly superior. Kind of like being part of a private club.

Business is business so I understand that Klipsch has to do what they think is necessary. But if it gets too hard for me to track down a dealer who knows Klipsch and can help me with my purchases, then maybe it's time for me to switch. Maybe this tells me that I didn't belong in the private club in the first place.

----------------

You ask Klipsch to be loyal, and you yourself are being unloyal to Klipsch. In the end your ears grade the test papers, and yet you are willing to make a compromise (switch), just for "private club" satisfaction. So what I hear from you is that you buy (listen) for pride and satisfaction purposes, not sheer enjoyment. I do enjoy the fact that Klipsch isn't a "mass" product but when it comes time for me, and wife to enjoy our latest DVD I could care less. My setup sounds good to me, and that's what counts. I am sure Klipsch will make business desicions with all of the "Klipsch lovers" in mind. Give them some credit, and stop accusing the unknown.

"In it for "Best in class" sound!!!

----------------

On 5/10/2003 10:39:47 AM jzoz01 wrote:

Griff, I went into my local best buy last night and the Klipsch line had just been set up. I must say the presentation looked nice, but I really hate those touch pad thingies, they suck. Why the hell does bb use those things. Also, do they have a stardardized wiring diagram for each set up, or is it just up to the local manager, because I was auditioning the SF2 system and something didn't sound right. Well I figured it out. The left speaker was wired out of phase and the sub crossover was set at like 40htz. Also, who picks the music that goes in those changers, because every song on that cd sucked. Is that anything you have control of or is that sent down from HQ?

----------------

The touchpads really do suck. BB uses those things to idiot proof the displays and to keep young stupid customers from blowing speakers and amplifiers by cranking them up. The wiring setups are chaotic, and each district has a "project team" that goes around and sets up these displays. For us, the salespeople, this can be most frustrating. I don't even have a functional Quintet right now because someone threw out a box of wiring that was supposed to go into the displays. At least my SF2's are set up properly.

As far as the sub settings: The SF2's are rated 35Hz-20Khz +/- 1.5dB. Why wouldn't you want the sub at 40?

The music in the changer? It's a disc Corporate sends us every quarter. It's really annoying. Did they have the one with the AudioSlave track in the rock portion? That's the latest disc. I actually have fun with that particular song - people listen to the intro and go "these things don't sound all that great" - then it kicks in

Some of the guys are laid back and will allow you to audition your own music. Just ask someone.

"As far as the sub settings: The SF2's are rated 35Hz-20Khz +/- 1.5dB. Why wouldn't you want the sub at 40?"

I think some of us feel that with 2-way speakers, since the woofer is being asked to go pretty far up into the midrange, it can improve the sound by pulling off the bass at around 80hz so it doesn't have to deal with the low stuff.

DD

----------------

On 5/12/2003 8:07:25 AM Griffinator wrote:

The touchpads really do suck. BB uses those things to idiot proof the displays and to keep young stupid customers from blowing speakers and amplifiers by cranking them up.

----------------

That would make sense. How many times have you seen the kids crank up the boom-boxes up to clipping levels (or turn up the bass level to max)? Also, there was quite a few times I went into the speaker listening area at Best Buy to play with the speakers. I add the subwoofer only to be greeted with horrible, distorted, boomy bass. The reason? Somebody went and turned up the gain on the subwoofer to full-blast! Geez, there are people that actually thinks that much and distorted bass actually sounds good? Look at all the people that crank up the bass in the car audio section to over-driven levels!

I had one of my friends tried to turn up the bass to full-blast on my car stereo! I immediatly turned it back down to the "flat" setting. He got pissed and I told him that I think it sounded like crap with that much bass, plus I don't want you to be blowing my speakers!

As far as the sub settings: The SF2's are rated 35Hz-20Khz +/- 1.5dB. Why wouldn't you want the sub at 40?

----------------

The music in the changer? It's a disc Corporate sends us every quarter. It's really annoying. Did they have the one with the AudioSlave track in the rock portion? That's the latest disc. I actually have fun with that particular song - people listen to the intro and go "these things don't sound all that great" - then it kicks in

Some of the guys are laid back and will allow you to audition your own music. Just ask someone.

----------------

Yeah, the Best Buy here in Fredericksburg than must have the lastest disk. It has that AudioSlave track on the Rock section. It is actually the only decent track on the whole thing.

----------------

On 5/12/2003 5:05:41 PM dougdrake wrote:

"As far as the sub settings: The SF2's are rated 35Hz-20Khz +/- 1.5dB. Why wouldn't you want the sub at 40?"

I think some of us feel that with 2-way speakers, since the woofer is being asked to go pretty far up into the midrange, it can improve the sound by pulling off the bass at around 80hz so it doesn't have to deal with the low stuff.

DD

----------------

Ah. Point taken. However, you undoubtedly set your amp's internal crossover point to that level as well, no? On our displays, they set up the system to feed the sub full-frequency (speaker level), and we have to make the best adjustments we can when demoing a particular pair of speakers by adjusting crossover points to match the bottom of the given speakers. It's the best we can do on the fly.

The kids around here are particularly bad about the bass thing. Every time I turn around I've got to cut the sub crossover points and volume levels down because some stupid kid cranked them up all the way (180Hz/max volume) 14.gif It's nerve-wracking.

Back to the distribution issues: Every day now I get the chance to turn more and more people on to Klipsch. Got a guy in yesterday who's redoing his basement H.T. and billiard room - he wanted something in stereo that just kicked *** and took names in the billiard room, but something more sophisticated in a home theater setup. He walked out with a pair of Athena towers and two matching subs for the billiard room, but his H.T. setup was what is rapidly becoming my favorite - two pairs of SF-2's, SC-1, two KSW-12's - with a Yamaha HTR-5590 to drive them.

When he came in, he had never even heard of Klipsch.

Tell me again that this distro deal was a bad idea 9.gif

I stopped by my local BB the other day and as of yet they don't have the Klipsch on display. The boxes are sitting on the shelf in plain view though. Out of curiousity, I asked the price of the SC-1. He didn't know (surprise) and when he scanned it, it came up $279!!(Bigger surprise) I thought that the list price for the SC-1 was around $280. I know my local mid-to-high-end dealer discounted the Klipsch a fair amount in the past. Anybody know if that price was in error or does BB intend to try and sell the Synergy line at retail? If they do, I can picture a lot of Reference going out the door at my local dealer.

I think they do intend to sell at list. At my local BB they had the SF2s going for like $360 each. At that price you could spend an extra $80 and get a pair of RF25s. Maybe it's just me, but I think that for $80 more, the RFs would kick the **** out of the SF2s. Maybe this move to BB won't be so bad for the reatail guys afterall.

Speakers are one thing that BB typically sells at retail, except when they put "all audio on sale"

The Audio department at BB is one of the few places in the store where BB actually makes money on the product itself - instead of just on the stuff we sell alongside it (PSP's, cables, etc.)

You're absolutely right, though. The buyers that already know Klipsch will go buy the Reference stuff for a minimal amount more than the Synergy at BB. Those that don't know Klipsch will gleefully buy Synergy because even at full retail, the Synergy series is right at the same price point as our other high end brands (JBL, Athena, Bose) and they flat out sound better.

And I'll breath on it a little more...

One of our local BBs has the Synergy on display. They moved all the Bose stuff out of their dedicated room and now it is a Klipsch-only room. The Bose shares the JBL room, now. (Would have like to a/b JBL with Synergy in same room.)

They appear to be selling at list - I saw the SS-1s at $399.

DD

----------------

On 5/14/2003 6:59:46 PM dougdrake wrote:

And I'll breath on it a little more...

One of our local BBs has the Synergy on display. They moved all the Bose stuff out of their dedicated room and now it is a Klipsch-only room. The Bose shares the JBL room, now. (Would have like to a/b JBL with Synergy in same room.)

They appear to be selling at list - I saw the SS-1s at $399.

DD

----------------

As far as A/B'ing the JBL's, it's no longer a fair fight (unless you look at straight cost comparison) - the only Studio series JBL's we still carry are the S-Center and the S-36 bookshelf speakers. I'll offer my opinion on the JBL's we used to carry vs. the Klipsch.

Sub A/B test: JBL's PB12 sub pales against the Klipsch KSW-12. The JBL S120PII sub that we used to carry (up until a month ago) would wallop the KSW-12. Winner: JBL.

Tower A/B test: The JBL ND310's are a mere shadow of the SF1's. The ND310 has always sounded like a Vega to me, and it does even more so in comparison to the beautifully balanced SF2. The S312 was extremely well balanced, but the highs were much more brutal and ear-fatiguing than the SF1's. Winner: Klipsch.

Bookshelf A/B test: The Klipsch SB-1's are nice, but the JBL S-36 bookshelf is easily the most detailed of the two (in both high and midrange) and has strong bass for such a shallow cabinet. Factor in the easy wall-mount-ability and the S-36 wins hands down. Winner: JBL.

BTW - if you want to do a "true" bookshelf A/B, the JBL S38 bookshelf speakers absolutely destroy the SB-1's - I know, I own a pair.

Center A/B test: The Klipsch SC-1 is a potent, well balanced center. The JBL is a potent, well-balanced center. The Klipsch looks great, the JBL looks like a damned Russian hat. The Klipsch has a smooth high end - but that's not necessarily a good thing in a center. The JBL S-Center can cut through walls of sound to get its point across. Winner: JBL.

Surround package A/B: I'll just go ahead and concede this one to Klipsch. The ability to add your sub of choice to a surround speaker package makes both Klipsch systems easily superior to their JBL counterparts, even if they cost more. Winner: Klipsch.

End result: Comparing the Studio series JBL's to the Synergy series Klipsch may not be 100% fair (as JBL's "entry level" is actually the Northridge) but in dollar-for-dollar comparison, it's an even match. I'd pretty much call it a dead heat, as the winners in each line cost more than their competition.

It still comes down to whether your ears can handle the aggressive high end of the JBL titanium tweeters, or whether you prefer the more mellow sound of Klipsch aluminum. Either way, it's better than Bose 9.gif