Klipsch Makes Major Distribution Changes

Guest Joshua Ryan Hall

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob - She was exercising her own initiative to clean up the board from those nasty war-related posts by bumping many kinder, gentler threads to the top. Pushing the crap down so we didn't have to see it everytime we came to the forum, and which would (hopefully) speed the demise of those threads.

DD

jzoz01:

The gentleman that you talked with at Audio King has his "facts" quite jumbled up. His company definitely knows the real facts, as do his buyers and managers. Apparently he wasn't listening (or possibly was on vacation, etc.) when those facts were communicated. He needs to speak with his manager.

PhilH

I am so happy to see there are so many fortune tellers hear. I to was just a little put off by the changes Klipsch has made. I dont know mabey fear that sales at best buy would tarnish the Klipsch name and therefore devalue (in a pride sort of way) my set up. Or it could be something else. Whatever, it just should not matter. We just can not say for sure what if any impact the changes that will happen will cause. I gave it some thought. There are mant products that are sold at best buy and at higher end retailers (Denon,Yamaha and pioneer) many brands of witch are owned by owners of klipsch products.If you did not see this comeing well you just did not look very hard. There is just one question in my mind. Will Klipsch go the way other speaker companys like JBL went? I do not see any JBL's in any high end shop or will they dump some money from there new sales into something else they can offer the high end retailer/consumer. Only time will tell. I for one would hate to see the end of such a good thing. Lets hope that Klipsch Will also offer some more high end product as well as make the more affordable product widely avalible.

P.S I do like the older JBL stuff. But I love the old Klipsch stuff!

Here's a low end Klipsch consumer point of view. I just got back from a local store (Hillcrest High Fidelity) and found out they aren't carrying Klipsch anymore. A little research found that Tweeter bought them last year. I guess Tweeter decided (very wisely IMHO) to let the store continue to operate as it's own and not change it. This is why I always had different experiences with Tweeter and Hillcrest.

Now, I loved this store because even though I bought Synergy or low end reference stuff from them, they always treated me well. Also, it was nice to have someone actually know what a Heresy speaker was. Now that I know I don't have them to take care of me, I am seriously considering jumping ship to something like Paradigm. I've been to Ultimate Electronics and they were barely a step above Best Buy as far as service and knowledge went.

It's really kind of sad. Like one poster said, I've always taken some smug pride in knowing that I had a system that was not well known but in many cases vastly superior. Kind of like being part of a private club.

Business is business so I understand that Klipsch has to do what they think is necessary. But if it gets too hard for me to track down a dealer who knows Klipsch and can help me with my purchases, then maybe it's time for me to switch. Maybe this tells me that I didn't belong in the private club in the first place.

Well, I have both the Heritage line and some of the "new"line."

What I can say is that there are products made for "the dicounters" that have different model numbers - even Michelin has a tire with a name & number available only to BJ's Wholesale Club. When you need warranty service, the product has to be returned to the "discouter" from where it was purchased.

As for the "Heritage" line, as a token dealers could display a set of Heresy's that would not be that much space lost.

At 50, I am a 2 channel dinosaur. My parents were musicians, I worked live and studio sound for many, many years. I have seen 4 channel and you name the HT format come and go, as well as vinyl, now changing cds and am getting disgusted in the way that computers and music systems are changing so often. Even the brochures hardly mention 2 channel audio or realism to instruments anywhere as near as in the past. Emphasis is on the house shattering bass. As a Recording Engineer and bass player, my goal is not to vibrate your shirts at 60 paces.

As far as BB "professionals" are concerned, I have gone in and asked questions only to be told to "wait a minute" while I look that up.

I understand the bottom line has to be profit but at what cost.

I can see people listening to the Reference Line, then thinking with their wallets and walking out. Society has changed and consumers keep quiet or are ignored. We've had Sun, Lechmere and a host of local Electronics dealers close because we have become a throw away Society. ( Except for our tube gear.) No offense to SS owners.

I disagree with the "King".

I seen the new line at the CES convention in Las Vegas in January. Indeed there are some lower priced models in the "RF" line but the component and cabinet quality are still high and quite a value IMHO.

Like all companies Klipsch is looking to push their product down the food chain a bit to appeal to a larger group of potential buyers. Please don't think they are buying drivers from Digi-Key and using 24 guage zip cord from Radio Shack to connect them.

The RF-35 (I thought) at $1000 per pair sounded fantastic even in a convention environment even with Earthquake around the corner giving sub demos as well as all the other audible distractions...

As far as the folks in Indianapolis and Hope... your welcome. I got your back for now dawgs (that's worth an XL Klipsch golf shirt)!

If only Klipsch would have cancelled Tweeter just a few months later I would have bought 4 (maybe even 6) RF-35's, especially at 32-35% off!

Regards,

Mike

So now Best Buy has decided to sell Musicland Group EXCEPT for the holdings of Magnolia Audio. Its not clear what will become of Magnolia. Best Buy is also keeping what was the construction development group of Musicland. Seems clear that BB had to own Magnolia in order to leverage Klipsch to offer Synnergy in BB stores. Hence BB hangs on to Magnolia but sells other Musicland group stores. Rumor has FYE purchasing what's left of Musicland and gutting it.

BB is ruthless and kills all it touches. (A la Packard Bell)

Oh the shame, Oh the shame!

It's amazing that people keep forgetting that perception IS reality!!!

BB CAN'T DEMO, THEY CAN'T SELL ON QUALITY, THEY CARRY A LOT OF JUNK, THEY PUSH THEIR VENDOR PARTNERS TO KEEP HITTING LOWER PRICE-POINTS, and people wonder why there is guilt by association.......Wait until salesmen in the higher-end shops stop pushing ref speakers for these and other reasons and then these retailers stop carrying them altogether.......

God their not even available at bb yet and even the die-hard loyalists on this board are "dissin'" them.........15.gif

Quote from Ref Seller

Scott,

WHAT WE have done is to simply stop carrying lines that are heavily promoted on-line at severe discounts....It doesn't make sense for our salespeople to demo a product that the customer can find from a wharehouse at a severe discount....When a customer recently asked me why we don't carry "brand x", I said " do you own any of their products ?"...he said yes and I asked where he purchased it .He stated that he had found it on-line and I said, "that's why!" ...that company will no longer get a listen in my store...

Why are you so damn bitter at this decision. In other posts you have lead me to believe your store Wal-Mart or what ever isn't carrying Klipsch any longer.

Best Buy sells crap to decent stuff. Not everyone out there wants to spend a ton of money on big speakers, much to your disbelief. products at BB get far more exposure than they do at a tweeter. Do you think the majority of families with 2 kids and a mortgage are going shopping for a 3-5k surround sound system?

Maybe klipsch wants to become more mainstream and through home entertainment for the average consumer and computer user.

I wish I could figure out your flaming. If I was selling a differnt brand I would find their forum and push the products that will pad your pockets vice using all your tissues here.

Scott

If I may add my 2 cents- Stores like Tweeter weren't even close to me, and getting them to ship-they would not do. For me and alot of common folks, having a B/B close is a mark up so that people are exposed to the Klipsch name. After they try the lower end products (which are good), they hopefully will want more,bigger pieces. This is where the stores that will be selling the Ref series and others comes in....people will hunt them up , to experience Klipschs other lines........... MO............. Also

REF- if you say your a Klipsch salesman, why haven't you been more on the b/b Giving advice, not putting the product down!

"BB CAN'T DEMO, THEY CAN'T SELL ON QUALITY, THEY CARRY A LOT OF JUNK, THEY PUSH THEIR VENDOR PARTNERS TO KEEP HITTING LOWER PRICE-POINTS"

refseller.... so you will starve when this happens???....best buy will sell klipsch synergy series....more people will own klipsch....klipsch may in fact will move from #2 to #1....

and your *****ing why?????

you wont get commission anymore from klipsch???

why don't you go and cry about your situation on some other website....

if you were a real salesperson you would be working on a plan how to sell what you still have access to rather than pissing and moaning here about the factory switching outlets....

grow up and become a real sales professional...this happens all the time in business

i sell professional/commercial audio products to dealers, contractors, and installers....over the last three years we have added four pro audio lines to our inventory and deleted two lines.....does it matter??? .....NO...because i still give my customers what they need...a good product with excellent service....have i lost any customers??....NO!!! ...if you service your customers right they will buy whatever quality product that you offer....

you keep complaining ....sounds like you can't sell anything else....are you a sales professional or not?????

Best Buy sells crap to decent stuff. Not everyone out there wants to spend a ton of money on big speakers, much to your disbelief. products at BB get far more exposure than they do at a tweeter. Do you think the majority of families with 2 kids and a mortgage are going shopping for a 3-5k surround sound system?

Maybe klipsch wants to become more mainstream and through home entertainment for the average consumer and computer user.

????????????????????end quoter,,,,,,,,,,,,

My complaints stem from the knowledge that the way we used to sell the ref line was to demo the synergy vs the ref and show customers the value of spending a little more money, now that's gone ,because bb knows that people will hear the ref and klipsch story at the higher -end retailers but, in the abscense of comparison, gravitate to the lower price points at bb....this strategy is a negative for the retailers who can give a proper demo....

if you like the idea of buying speakers on reputation without a demo , they can "show" you Advents and KLH at bb

Ref,

You have made your point a long time ago. BB doesn't hire experts they hire employees to stock shelves and help customers finding proucts.

Now from the average shopper's point of view they have more knowledge than the person shopping there. good, bad or indifferent that's the way it is.

BB may prove to be very profittable to Klipsch. Why don't you stop hiding in the forum's anonymity characteristic and come out and tell all of us what you really do and what you really sell.

Do you ever get tired of posting the same dribble?

Scott

no ,I am NOT tired at all......

I am not speaking for my place of buisness , nor do I try to drum up buisness for myself on other forums. I am merely voicing dissatisfaction for what I feel is going to happen to a vendor that I liked doing buisness with and a company whose product I enjoy....If you feel I'm beating a "dead horse ", I am sincerely sorry, but I feel that there is still time to change minds at Klipsch...I heard they are reconsidering Sound Advice and one other small chain retailer in regaurds to these new stratagies....I hope that my ,as well as others, expressed dissatisfaction with their marketing plans may cause a re-examination......

As you can tell, I'm new to this forum. I've been a long time Klipsch fan. Ever since hearing my first pair of Forte II's, I've been hooked. Nothing could compare to them in, or near their price range. I consider myself lucky to live within 10 miles of 5 dealers. OK, 3 happen to be Tweeters, formally United Audio. I have never bought from Tweeter, but appreciate what they have done for me, indirectly. With my Forte's, I auditioned them at a high-end specialty store. The Forte's were pretty much their lowest line, but sounded better than everything else there. They had a great listening room to audition them in. I got their "best price" and took off to United Audio. They were selling them for $200 less than the specialty store. I really didn't like the arrogant customer service/sales perception I got, so I took their price to a small local store with a price match policy. I was able to get them at the best price available, from a place I felt comfortable in. Now, some in this forum would consider this unethical. I took advantage of the high-end store's auditioning room and bought from a small retailer. Not exactly "gray market" purchasing, but very similar. I have since purchased all my speakers from the same local store, using their price match policy. I would get United Audio/Tweeter's best price and take it to the little guy. Believe me, they were happy to sell to me. Just knowing that they took business away from Tweeter made them happy. Example: Tweeter was blowing out their demo RF-7's recently for $1,500. I brought the quote to my local guy and he said (expletive) Tweeter! I'll sell them NEW to you for $1,400. I took them home that day. I know I got this deal because the salesman knows me by name. His reaction to Tweeter leads me to believe that they were killing their business. I'm sure that this type of thing had a lot to do with Klipsch dropping Tweeter. This is very similar to what the internet is doing to the little guy. I know that Klipsch won't come out and validate this statement, though. They have lawyers working their strings, so it wouldn't be wise.

Regarding BestBuy, let them sell the Synergy line. It will introduce more of the world to the benefits of high efficiency horn based speakers. I really can't see it hurting their reputation, and I don't feel abandoned by them for doing this. Everyone needs to make money!

Mike