Scott 296 on eBay

Hofy

Looks like mint, what is something like that worth? How did they measure the output? Is it the old measurement or the new RMS? If it is the new RMS, then who did it? Are there any other tubes which can be used in the thing? What do KT66 tubes sound like?3.gif

I have always wanted one of these--they are EXTREMELY rare! I have been messing around with old hi-fi stuff for a long time and I have never even seen one in person.

I've like just about every 6L6 based hi-fi amp I've ever heard and the KT-66 is an INCREDIBLE output tube. Unfortunately, the ones in this amp look like the Chinese copies which are pretty lousy when compared with the "real" GEC tube. A quad of the "real" ones will set you back at least $400 these days!! I have a dozen of these NOS in boxes, so I might be in the hunt unless the bidding gets out of hand!

Once again, the ebay loons are at play, driving the bidding up to see their names in lights. It never ceases to amaze me. Yet even in here, you will have people defending this action.

Looks like a really interesting amp that is unfortunately getting ready to head to ozone pricing levels.

Allan, if I get a KT-66 amp in house, I'm calling you for some samples of glass, knowhatimsayin?

kh

$760 with five days to go. Geesh.

If you ever really need a quad of genuine NOS KT-66 let me know, I'm sure we could work out a deal! The offer to borrow and review one of my Decca London Gold cartridges still stands too. I think it will absolutely blow your mind--might have the same revelatory effect of your first "SET" experience. I used the Deccas with both SOTA and Linn tables in the 80's and found them to be a terrific match. I used an SME 3009-III or Infinity Black Widow and later a Grace arm and it worked well with all three!

When I bid on ebay stuff I usually place one, small initial bid for the minimun amount--makes it easier to track for me. I then bid right at the end and hope. Today I lost out on a Stanley Turrentine record that I would have gone higher for but bid a little to late to get a "final" shot. It was a New York pressing and not deep-groove so I thought I could snag it for about $60--it went for $67. I try to bid with about 45 seconds left and today I bid with about 15 seconds left and lost out to the crafty "jazzarchivist."

Those amps in this condition always shoot up near or over a grand !! That is by far the best amp integrated Scott ever produced !! Like Alan said the KT-66 are suppose to be a great tubes. I almost bought a 272 which is almost identical and uses EL-34's . That amp could use many different tubes with some changes but I would advise any mods what so ever the value will sky rocket on that amp as time passes in its bone stock form with just matinence items repaired. It rare as all get out.

Craig

I have been looking for a CD player on eBay and it really is incredibly annoying that folks drive up the bid days before the auction ends. I simply do not understand the logic at all! What is the point of bidding before the item is about to end (unless you won't be at a computer)??????

Anyway, these Scotts look pretty good. I wonder what that 272 will go for? How does the 272 compare with the 296??

Mace

I tend to think that too, that some folks have others who jack up the price. However, my first sale on eBay was just a few weeks ago. I sold my KLF-30's and they went for $1251. It was also the case where folks were bidding early and bidding often. As a seller it was a beautiful thing to watch. But, it made me realize that strange stuff does happen with these auctions on eBay. It was pretty weird to watch.

Mace

El-34 and 6CA7 are the same tube basically.

6CA7 is the American variant, EL-34 is the Euro version.

Too bad that amp doesn't come with the Mullard El-34's shown in the pics.

It would be worth $450 then, not to say that it is worth probably $450 anyway.

If in good working condition, hard to say for 40+ year old unit.