an admittedly stupid question but ....

good morning everyone and greetings from Italy.

I am forced to write a question that might seem really stupid... but maybe it isn't that stupid.... I hope.
A friend of mine is 'selling off' a pair of 75th Anniversary Klipschorn AK6.

The price is really really really good because he needs (unfortunately) to sell them quickly.

I'm obviously hugely excited by the deal, but my problem is that ACTUALLY , for a number of reasons that I'll spare you, I won't be able to place them as per the 'manual' i.e. in the corners.

how much will their beautiful sound be sacrificed?

thank you for all your contributions ... 

Agostino

Ciao, Agostino,

Well the AK6 version has the rear portion of the bass horn enclosed so it doesn't  need to be pushed tightly into a perfect corner like the earlier versions do. The AK6 does however benefit from being placed near a corner based on what I've read. I have AK2 from the 1980's and they need to be tight to the corners or the balance of the speaker is affected and they sound thin. AK6 should be good. Maybe someone here who owns AK6 will answer with actual experience.

• Like 1

I've seen pictures of KHorns placed along a wall the same as someone might place other speakers. The first pair I ever heard were about three or four feet into the room, and they still sounded great.

Knowing what I know now I would have said they were placed incorrectly, but they did sound very good at the time. 

Posted (edited)

thank you all for your replies. much appreciated. for the time being the Anniversary should stand along a wall, away from corners. building false ones seems a solution to consider.

Edited by Agostino

Ciao, Ago! 

Non è affatto stupido!

Those panels are not stiff enough.  You should build a 90 degree corner as tall as the bass horn and at least 1.25 m from the inside of the "L" to the edge.  Build the as you "wood" a wall in your house.  I have no idea how Italian walls are made.  🤔  Plaster or gypsum board (Sheetrock, dry wall, ...) covering will work well and can be painted to match your walls.  Mr. Paul Klipsch used these in his home. 

Screenshot_20240527-233142_Firefox.png

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 5:40 AM, JohnA said:

Ciao, Ago! 

Non è affatto stupido!

Those panels are not stiff enough.  You should build a 90 degree corner as tall as the bass horn and at least 1.25 m from the inside of the "L" to the edge.  Build the as you "wood" a wall in your house.  I have no idea how Italian walls are made.  🤔  Plaster or gypsum board (Sheetrock, dry wall, ...) covering will work well and can be painted to match your walls.  Mr. Paul Klipsch used these in his home. 

Screenshot_20240527-233142_Firefox.png

hello John and thank you very much. Generally in Italian houses the walls are made of simple perforated bricks. but maybe you could use dry laid concrete bricks, like these ... 

Muratura in blocchi di calcestruzzo - Posa in opera con ...

for the same (even higher) specific weight, a more creative idea... 

ENCICLOPEDIA TRECCANI - Asta ASTA T35 A TEMPO DI LIBRI ANTICHI E D'ARTE -  Casa d'Aste Babuino

a stack of heavy volumes of an encyclopaedia ... :-)))

(obviously placed vertically ... )

Edited by Agostino

Buy them. 

Since the backs of the AK-6 are finished, they don’t need to be seated deep into corners, just within 12” or so. If you can’t do that, can you supply them with some boundary reinforcement, say near a wall? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deang said:

Buy them. 

Since the backs of the AK-6 are finished, they don’t need to be seated deep into corners, just within 12” or so. If you can’t do that, can you supply them with some boundary reinforcement, say near a wall? 

Sure, for the time being, they can be pitched against a wall..though not near corners. thank you all for the helpful tips!

spacer.png

We call those "concrete blocks" or "cinder blocks" because some are still made with bottom ash from coal burning plants.  They are commonly used for exterior walls below ground and earth retaining walls.  Also used for exterior house walls in coastal areas in the Deep South.

• Like 1