Jolida JD-100

rowooo

Been waiting for my tax return to arrive and had every intention of purchasing the Aram 72T I demoed awhile back. I have recently been reading great things on this new Jolida JD-100. It runs around 900 and uses 2 12AX7LPS tubes. I'm running a solid state amp and preamp so I'm wondering if this player might not be a bad choice to lessen some of that harshness at loud volumes. Apparently it's very detailed and does not produce too much liquid midrange to muddy the sound. Has anybody heard this unit? Of course I could always change-upgrade the tubes also, of course with all your help, as I don't know the first thing about tubes. Thanks for any insight!

• 4 months later...

I purchased a JD-100 for that very reason and am more than pleased with the result. I swapped out the Chinese tubes for Svetlanas - even better. Rest of system: Chorus II, Perreaux PMF-3150 amp and SM-3 pre-amp.

I've never heard a JoLida JD-100 yet, but once I get the money saved up, I definately want one. I've read great reviews on the player, and I know that tube rolling can only improve on its sound. It works fine with SS amps/preamps, and even better if you're a full-blown bottlehead! Bet Mullard or Telefunken tubes can make this player really sing!

I'd just have to add that I had no idea how much a tube CD could improve and smooth out listening to music. My player is Njoe Tjoebs, not Jolida, but what people say about getting the source right, seem to be right on.

Regards,

Dee

p.s. imec-- welcome to the forum.

You Guys are obviously not too concerned about multi-channel playback (DVD-A\SACD) with your Tubed CD Players in place.

Just curious, have any of you heard an Sacd demo on players like the Sony ES models or The New Philips 963? And what were your thoughts? From what I hear alot of these models are pretty smooth with "REDBOOK" playback as well. My experiences are only with the Sony ES Models (SCD-1? - 222ES). IMO, they were all pretty solid units on mostly REDBOOK, with an Outstanding demo of DSOTM on sacd thrown in.

Any thoughts about how these or other "quality Sacd Players" compare if at all to your Tubed Joints? If you haven't figured it out by now? I may be in the market for new CD player as well, is the reason for all the questions.

Thanks,

Jalen

Jalen,

Wish I had heard some of the units you have heard on demo. Sure have been curious about them. Ended up making my decision more out of needing to smooth out my source with tubes. That along with the standard still to be shaken out, kept me from getting curious enough to try them out, at least in terms of purchase. I have read posts from other forum members who have quite favorable impressions of SACD and/or DVD-A gear. That would be worth a search to see which units these folks were talking about. One other interesting thought of something on the horizon. At this year's big audio show, whatever it's called, amnesia strikes again! Anyway, there are some new SACD models with tubes. They are still a little pricey for me, but conventional wisdom is that they will become more competitively priced in the future.

I would think that a big part of the decision is if the SACD gear sounds good on your system and you like it, then that's a pretty strong case for it. A pretty significant consideration for me was La Scala's sounding harsh on the SS gear. Started with the speakers, and ended up changing out amplifier and CD too, in order for it to sound right.

Have fun with your research and most especially with what you select for your system. Hope you can post your impressions on the forum. Sure would like to hear your take on the options and end result.3.gif

Regards,

Dee

Yeah Dean,

Those were my thoughts exactly, when demoing those ES players. The 9000es even in the unmodified state was very Airy and had huge Soundstage. Just sounded right for some reason. Man, I wish I had've gone for one of those instead of My cheaper Cambridge option. But, Live and Learn. For now on when demoing gear and it sounds "Right" I'm going to shoot for the whole set-up.

Jalen

Yeah Dean,

I hang out at The "Gon" regularly. I just picked up My Mcintosh 7100 from there a few months back. I've seen those 9000es there quite a few times both moded and original. For Myself, I think that getting Amps, Pre's and Speakers are fine from the used markets. But, For some reason I'm a bit skeptical about buying used Cd players. I think I may just hold off and buy a new near top of the line Sony Es Model when we get back State Side In a few years.

Thanks,

Jalen