SVS are they better?

easylistener

I am new but all I have read about is how all you guys love the svs subs. Are they really that much better? Some of these subs are expensive, are you guys comparing them to subs like sunfires, bk,and servo15? I have listened to these and they are very strong in all areas. I have not heard a SVS sub though and thats why I am asking.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are SVS that much better? If you compare to subwoofers in their price range the answer is a resounding YES. A solid 20Hz YES

1.gif

Where the SVS outperform the competition is in DEEP BASS output,below 30Hz there are few subs that compete(besides the well known HSU and Adire).

With SVS money goes towards the all important driver(woofer),the cabinet costs as little as possible(besides the B4-Plus and SS).And the tube is quite inert,coloration due to the less expensive cabinet is not a factor.

Is SVS the only choice and the best choice,yes and no.There is not one subwoofer that does all better,each sub bas strong points and weak points(I bet the Krell MRS and SVS B4-Plus weak points are not low deep bass output LOL).

I have a Velodyne HGS18,Revel B15,Aerial SW12,Sunfire Signature and Mark II,two Carver Knight Shadow and had dual SVS Ultras on test(its good to know other audiphiles,I borrow some from them and they borrow from me).My all time fave sub for music is the Aerial SW12,goes deeeeeeep and its capable of upper punch only the RSW is known for.Plus the fit and finish and parts quality of the Aerial is second to none.But its a $5000 US subwoofer,not for the average Joe

Next comes the HGS18/B15/Ultra I would rate these on the same level overall,the SVS goes deep with the most earth quaking power,the B15 hits like a cannon on a bettleship and the HGS18 sounds the cleanest of them all while going deep.

The Sunfire Signature can keep up with the mega subs down to 30Hz,at 30Hz only much larger subs match of outperform the Sunfire Sig!It can shake the house at 25Hz with force too,all this in a small cube.

The Ultras when used in pairs are weapons of subsonic proportions

I live around Milwaukee Wisconsin.

The ear: You keep talking about pairs, do you mean you need two for this great bass? You did not say anything about the servo 15. What about ebox and the big dual 15 polk?

I love these forumes.

Do these SVS subs have enough punch to make the water in my 225 gal aquarium dance?

I have a local dealer that is having a sale in a couple of days that will sell me a RSW-10 for 599. I think this is a pretty good price.

I think the rsw 10 would be great in a smaller room with mid size mains,if you like mostly music/5.1 audio.On the other hand even the svs basic models perform well,more $ and it only gets better.The mid/lower line is great for HT,not quite as good with music/5.1 audio,IMHO.I have not auditioned svs top of the line,I'm sure its great,service is legendary.Bottom line,want great HT,some music, svs will do it as good as any(better than many) at its price. HT not really your bag? music you say, more bass than most any mains could ever keep up with.Well,the rsw 12/15 is the best I found for 90% music,10% HT(movies)at $1k/1.4k.The bass is like you plugged your bass guitar into a fender amp,I love it.

DJ

Have you heard the two side by side? If so, maybe clerify what the other speakers were being used also.

To clerify my side by side recomendation of the SVS vs RSW15 was based on both MUSIC and HT testing several Heritage models as mains including Heresy, Forte, and Khorn. With that in mind the LAS and Belle would also perform perfectly since they operate very close in performance of the Khorn.

The SVS is extremely musical in combination with any of the Heritage and extended Heritage family.

JM

I paid $1250 for my rsw 15,should it be compared to a set of subs at twice that price,sure,but is that a equal comparison?I HIGHLY recommend trying any at the same price point(actual price you pay),I have heard a few subs that best svs imo,for around twice the price.For $1250 I have NOT heard ANY that outperform the rsw15 for music IMHO.Dual ultra's are great,everyone should have a set,or two,but for my $1250/musical taste, the rsw 15 kicks $$s.