Free music to someone with a Heritage system and...

Mallette

Thank you, sir. That's more what I was looking for. Actually, I need to look at some of the DVD burning software I have to see if it supports audio only. I am pretty sure that even your basic DVD audio soundtracks are 24/96. Of course, if you had to burn an empty video track it would waste lots of space...but you could still pack a bunch of music on there.

Dave

Dave:

You've obviously got enough 'takers' on your CD offer, already. Maybe when Leo and Kelly are done with them...perhaps they or you might let me have a listen as well. It would give me an idea of what I may soon come to invest in. BTW, my Dark Side Of The Moon pressing is still in pretty good shape, and though my CD players is perhaps marginal right now, I would still really enjoy comparing the two.

Kelly has a very good CD player, however, and is in the position to better extract the best from your recording. I have much experience both listening to and playing live music, and can also usually rely on that as a fairly good basis of comparison.

We may have that opportunity fairly soon, anyway.

Erik

Well, it appears I am out of the initial equation as Dave is really looking for someone with some good ears to hear his raw material in .wav form via a true 24-BIT/192kHz machine or if not that, at least something akin to the Card Deluxe (or at least 24bit/88khz) into quality gear.

While I think it would be perhaps more important to play his burn to a CD via my Planet on my system, I cant argue with his goals. Of course, I will add that I havent heard a regular commercial 24bit/192khz DVD-A machine sound better than my own digital via my system, then again, I havent heard the top flight machines. Most of the commercial DVD players do not have the sonics to go with the chip as of yet, at least, not the ones I have sampled. Brightness is more the rule of the day.

So the task is up for grabs again.

kh

Well, after re-thinking this, I've decided to go ahead and reduce to CD resolution. While I still like to find someone with high resolution playback capacity, the fact is that the release version will still be CD, and if if don't sound good as CD it makes no difference how good or not it sounds at the original resolution. Just like the real world.

Further, I am going to stick my neck WELL into the noose and extend it to:

1. Kelly (I have your address)

2. Erik (need)

3. leok (need)

4. Edster (need)

Might as well have a cross section.

Don't wait with baited breath. You'll get them. However, my daughters 5th birthday party is Saturday and due to her being born with a 50-50 chance of seeing it, it's quite a celebration. Hopefully the week after.

Still, if anyone sees this and knows they can playback 24/88.2, I'd like to hear from you. Let me know what card or equipment you have.

Thanks to Justin, I am looking into standard hi-res audio filetypes. A very interesting article he posted. Thanks again.

BTW, Dallas/Fort Worth is frozen solid and immobilized. Don't laugh till you see it, northerners. NOBODY can drive on this stuff.

Dave

Dave,

I have a question for you. If I had one of these 'Card Deluxe' things could I use a turntabe and phono pre-amp to make high-quality transcriptions of vinyl albums to CD? I'd be intersted in this. I have a nice H-P burner that I can run at 1x if I want. If this is possible I could see buying a DVD burner to archive lots of albums.

What's your take on this?

Tom

IMOH, the 24/96 copies I've made of LP's are far superior to any, and that includes commercial, LP to digital transfers I've heard. Further, noise reduction software like Sound Forge's NX reduction plug-in eliminate pops and crackles so well that even if there is some impact on the sound (and I hear none except silence where the noise used to be) it's well worth it. Certainly there is no theoretical reason why it should impact the sound, as it operates in the digital domain and does absolutely nothing until the noise "signature" is sensed.

After a few unsatisfactory tries, I quit trying to transfer LP's to CD as the sonics, even done useing first rate equipment (including Card Deluxe) simply sent me running for the LP. Useful in the car, I guess. This is the first time since reel-to-reel days I've heard satisfying LP transfers.

I hope to get a DVD burner sometime before summer, both for video and for high-res audio use. Also, I hope to add the new DVD player from Sonic Blue (Go Video). It has high res DAC as well is being fully networkable and able to access pre-set directories on a remote computer via handheld remote. Very cool, and only 250.00. Now, I rather doubt the sonics of the audio section are anything to get overly excited about, but it will be a handy way to view video and listen to music on the living room HT setup from the MBS-3 back in the listening room.

Personally, I'm growing rather fond of the 21rst century. Hope to stay awhile!

Dave

Dave

----------------

On 2/26/2003 3:15:35 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

Justin,

Where did you see that Direct Stream Digital(DSD) was used for DVD-A??

All I had heard indicated that DVD-A used a type of PCM encoding.

If I remember correctly DSD is used for SACD's and is an entirely different type of encoding then PCM.

Peace, Josh
----------------

I learned-ed-ed that from Stereophile in a press release.

Dave,

I don't understand this paragraph:

"After a few unsatisfactory tries, I quit trying to transfer LP's to CD as the sonics, even done useing first rate equipment (including Card Deluxe) simply sent me running for the LP. Useful in the car, I guess. This is the first time since reel-to-reel days I've heard satisfying LP transfers."

The first and last sentences seem to be contradictory, although it's quite possible I'm just missing something. Is it the addition of the Sound Forge software that makes the difference? Or is the process of making CD's from LP's still no good in general but you're happy with the live to digital deal?

Am I clear out in left field here? Are you saying that the digital is OK as a .wav being played from the hard drive but it loses something being transferred to redbook CD? And you're for better results from using DVD as the final medium?

Tom

since MH is out...

I have these computer cards

SoundBlaster Live 18/48

Hercules GTXP 18-20/48

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 18-20/48

Hercules DigiFire 7.1 18-20/48

Hercules Fortissimo III 18-20/48

M-Audio Revolution (*****) 24/192!

SoundBlaster Audigy 24/96

Access to a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 24/192!

The M-Audio can do what you want I believe. I have a dynamic headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD-600's, Klipsch Heresy's connected via an HK430 and ProMedia 5.1's. I can test it out on these three mediums for you if you want me to do this. I also might be able to put them (multiple CD's) on a DVD that can be read in any DVD player (i have a DVD burner with licensing technology, basically it burns the real deal DVD's, not DVD-R or RW)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, guys, I've fallen down on getting these out and I am sorry. However, since I am going to the trouble to burn, print, and mail them, would those who volunteered please respond again with mailing addresses to damallett@attbi.com so I can get them off? It will save me a bit of search.

Looking forward to your reviews.

Dave