RE: H/K 430 purchasers, Please Read

I have been in e-mail correspondence with a number of you folks who have had various problems with your recently purchased H/K 430 receivers. So far, with the exception of one purchaser (whose unit had some obvious water damage), these problems have cleared up with my recommendation to clean the switches and controls and with replacing of one or more fuses.

The subject here is fuse replacement. I suggest to go ahead and replace ALL of the fuses on these with new ones of the proper value as soon as you receive the unit. It seems that in many cases one or more of the fuses in the units when buyers received them SEEMED to be OK, but in actuality had fractures within their fine filaments that were causing problems of various kinds. I attribute this to rough handling in shipment, and rapid extreme temperature changes these had to go through this winter while being shipped. So, just for the hell of it, change out ALL the fuses in these when you get them. It is an inexpensive insurance against problems.

There are two fuses inside the unit found nearby the power transformers "under the hood", there are also three more fuses under the bottom plate of the unit, and, of course, the three fuses found on the rear of the unit, for a total of eight fuses. Replace all of these with the values listed beside the fuses(ensuring you use "fast-blow" fuses), and see if your problems "magically" disappear! Be sure to clean your fuse holders at the same time.

Andy,

Are they ALL fast-blow fuses? Do you know, are there any other paramaters to consider (other than "blow", amperage, voltage) to consider? The original fuse fillaments look real different from the ones at Radio Shack (where the salesmen know everything about cel phone features, and zip about fuses). Thanks!

fini

(another carpenter)

Fini,

I changed out ALL of the fuses in my two units as soon as I got them. All with the "squiggly" wire type of filament fast-blow fuses in the given voltage/amperage. No problems at all so far other than controls needed a good cleaning, and once this was done, everything functioned fine. Both of my units came with improper fuses in them...some fast-blow, some slow-blow. Fast-blow is my recommendation....keeps important things from getting fried!2.gif

Andy,

You wanted to see the "after cleaning" shot of my HK430. The scrubbing was minimal: I was mostly trying to get the loose dust and dirt out, and clean & lube the switches and pots. I didn't disassemble anything beyond removing the covers and knobs.

fini

post-3580-13819246670064_thumb.jpg

Fini,

It looks like you got most of that corrosion out. Know what I think? I think that, judging by just WHERE the corrosion and rust in your unit was, it was likely that moisture got in only through the venting on the "hood" of the receiver. Maybe somebody over-watered the plant sitting atop it...LOL!...or spilt a beer or something into it...or maybe it was stored someplace with a leaking roof for some time...the possibilities are endless here. LOL!

Anyway...I had one of those heavy duty fuses in one of my units...it was the main power fuse on the rear panel. I still chunked it and got a standard "squiggly" fine-wire-filament fast-blow one and replaced it. I think the fuse in your pic(and the one I chunked) are designed to have the spring immediately separate the filament upon its blowing so that it can't accidentally restore a completed circuit after being blown...IOW...the spring pulls it apart once the filament has burnt through inside the fuse...but until that time, the fuse provides less resistance than a fine wire filament would normally provide, since it has a heavier gauge filament within it. Maybe some of the electronics-genius-types can clarify this for us. Either way...I didn't trust the one in mine, so OUT IT WENT...and in went a new squiggly-fine-wire-filamented fast-blow one! Better to be safe than sorry, IMHO! LOL!

After a cleaning and a fuse replacement, my HK is sounding fantastic. Can't believe it is only 25wpc. Mine did come from a smoking household but I put it on the patch and it seems to be doing much better now. Will clean it again this weekend to make sure all the tar and nicotine is out of there. Until then, I will enjoy the music.

Reactor444,

No, the 450 is not in the same series. It may be a later version, but it will not be the same basic design as the 430...aned from what I have been told by others, there were only a very few follow-up models in later versions that approached the sound of the "X"30 series...and the 450 is not on that list.

Flason,

Are you running LaScalas with the H/K430? Rick Tate says he can put his 430 volume at around 11 o'clock on his LaScalas, walk down the street and still be jamming...LOL! He also agrees with many of the others that the bass output is tight and clean, but also seems to get a bit more bottom-end out of his LaScalas than he is used to hearing with his last power source. You ever get an antenna on the tuner of it yet? You probably don't actually even need an antenna on it if the FM stations are fairly local that you like to listen to...believe it or not!

Andy, I do have the Las hooked up to the 430. Very nice sound. It gets loud fast and doesn't loose the quality of sound the louder it gets. I mostly play it at lower volume where the sound is still full and rich. It is definately the best 25 watts I have ever heard. I have yet to put an antenna on it only because I have been happy with my cd's for now. Soon as I get a new cartrige, my turntable will be joining the mix. It's not the best table in the world, I think I paid around $150 for it in 1981, but it suits my needs for now.

• 2 weeks later...