MCM1900

Tony Reed

My latest project is the MCM1900. I have most of the cabinets and components for a 2 channel 4 way configuration. I'll have to build the crossovers, they're no longer available from Klipsch. I'm looking for any and all info on this speaker setup. I know this is a professional rig, but I thought I'd ask for advise here.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

I am not trying to "rain on your parade"...but...The BIG QUESTION in building the MCM1900 system is DO YOU HAVE THE FIBERGLASS SQUAWKER HORN LENSES?...AND THE 4-WAY DRIVER MANIFOLDS FOR THEM?...for the two Squawker (MSM) units? These items are the STOPPER to the project...if you don't have em, you are pretty much SOL! Everything else is pretty much not a big deal to do...but those horn lenses, and manifolds are KEY to being able to have the ENTIRE system correct. The subsquawker (MSSM) unit is just a wooden ramp-horn lens cabinet powered by a Cetec/Gauss cone driver...but without the fiberglass squawker lenses and those 4-way driver mainfolds that attach to them ...you are gonna be in a MAJOR bind!...unless you know of someone who can lay them up for you using originals as the models. Good luck!

Tony,

There was also some seller who recently had a pair of squawker cabinets(with those fiberglass horns still in them, but not sure about the 4-way manifolds), and a pair of subsquawker cabinets(without the Cetec driver) listed on eBay recently. That auction ended, though, but the seller's reserve was not met...so he may still have them up for sale. I think his highest bid was under 200 bucks.

Keep this in mind, though....the drivers themselves for this entire system will cost a small fortune! For just one basic channel here is what it takes:

K-77 tweeters: 5 ea.

K-55V drivers: 4 ea.

Cetec cone driver(I can't remember the correct nomenclature for this one): 1 ea.

K43 woofers: 2 ea.

Now...double that for a stereo set-up...see what I mean?

All of this being said...if you have never heard the MCM1900 system before...you are in for quite a treat when you do!

MCM1900 system is comprised of (per channel)one of each of the following units:

MTM(the tweeter box w/ 5 K-77)all-wood cabinet.

MSM(the Squawker unit w/ 4 K-55, fiberglass mid horn lens, and 4-way driver manifold)in wood cabinet

MSSM(the sub-squawker unit w/ 1 cetec cone driver)all wood horn-cabinet

MWM(the folded-horn woofer unit w/ 2 K-43 drivers)all wood horn-cabinet. note: this came in either a single unit powered by two woofers, or as two "split" units...each powered by one woofer. Split units were designed for ease of maneuverability, but have added cost of another complete 4'x8' sheet of plywood involved per channel.

Materials required to build EACH MWM unit alone will exceed FOUR (FIVE if you go with the "split" units)4'x8' sheets of 3/4" birch plywood. There WILL be alot of scrap left over though...and a good portion of the rest of the cabinets can be made from that scrap...so you are looking at around FIVE to SIX sheets of this plywood per channel. You will also need 12 each 10-24 t-nuts per channel. The rest is in nails and glue...and your finish for them...lots of wire...etc. And of course the guts for building the crossover network for each channel. It would also be wise to get the inset handle assemblies for all but the tweeter boxes for these...hint, hint.

The last year or so that I worked at Klipsch, my helper (Steve) and I had the additional responsibility of building these...so I know what I am talking about...LOL!

HDBR,

I have the K-260 horns and the manifolds. (I actually have 4 of those.) In fact, I have everything except the 10" mid bass drivers for the sub-squawkers. They're no longer available from Klipsch, but engineer Jim knows of a suitable replacement that is readily available. Once I get those, all I have left to do is build the crossovers. I'm still looking for original literature on this setup.

Tony

Andy,

You need to know that Tony has more Klipsch than anybody. Many years ago the BBS had a question of the month. One was, "How many Klipsch speakers do you own?" I believe Tony won by a landslide, maybe 2:1. I think he has more than Miss Valerie has.

The MCM1900 may well complete his collection.

Well...Tony...I am slowly heading in that direction too...getting kinda cramped in this one-bedroom apartment with a pair of LaScalas, pair of Heresys, another pair of Heresys on the way...parts for Cornwalls that I intend to build...stacks of receivers and amps and such...but in this move to Lawton, OK I will get a bigger place and collect more stuff! LOL! I plan to build some MCM's eventually too...just need a place to put em is all...LOL!...and the cash for all those damned drivers needed for em!! LOL! I really could care less about owning anything other than Klipsch Heritage models...just my preference...except for my preference for the MCM1900...LOL! I eventually plan to delve into building some, heaven-forbid, non-Klipsch items...ALTEC VOT...etc....just for the hello of it, tho! I just enjoy building stuff and listening to it...it is a bonus to me that I have built all the heritage stuff before...so that is a kinda no-brainer to me! LOL! Best part is that I MAY be able to save some bucks by building my own of certain models.

Phil,

I didn't say there wasn't a price to pay. All in all, she has been pretty tolerant of my audio habit. The great thing about Klipsch is that they are all beautiful pieces of furniture, except maybe for the pro line stuff. (which apparently now I can't live without)

Tony

Before you build a set try checking E-bay for some. I bought my pair for my house off e-bay 3 years ago. I had seen another pair on about 3 months prior too so they do turn up (so to speak!!)from time to time. They are definately worth the effort. Nothing else even comes close.