Reciever Advice

Beesley

My current speaker set up are KSF-10.5s', KSF-C5, KSF-S5, and KSW-12. I am looking for a reciever upgrade from a Pioneer VSX-D811s. I have in mind the Yamaha RX-V1300 but I've also heard Denon was a good match for Klipsch products, I'm not looking to spend anymore than $700.00. I am familiar with yamaha as with their many different DSP options/variations. If anyone knows the pros/cons or similarities/differences between Yamaha and Denon or if anyone has buying tips please let me know. Thanks for your time.

-Pat

Stick with DENON. In my opinion, they have higher currents then Yamaha, as well as DENON specializes in receviers / DVD, whereas Yamaha specializes in too many fields. JMHO. 10.gif

BTW, a DENON 3802 would cost around 600. Go to a tweeter and they probably have a floor model with the warranty intact. H/K is nice as well.

The Denon 3803 is a winner. They make several models one of which will be in your price range. They downgrade power supplies and processors the farther down the line you go, but all have a nice sound. Listen a play with lots of models and brands and you will find the one that best fits your needs. The best advice is to take your time when evaluating.

You should be able to purchase theu the exchange system, and avoid duties and taxes. Unless they have changed their policies.

Aafes carries some very high end equipment which is purchased directly from the manufacturer. I know that every one of the manufactures must comply with strict shipping requirements which include shipping to APO/FPO.

with that said there are some exceptions due to weight and size. could you see a RPTV showing up on an aircraft carrier. Plus if you purchase thru the exchange system you item can be taken to any exchange worldwide for any issue.

good luck anf thank you for serving our great country....

Scott

USN Veteran

----------------

On 3/9/2003 4:54:51 AM audiobahn_99 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, one of the main reasons I needed this advice is because I'm in the military stationed in Europe and The only way I can buy A/V equipment is online. Thanks again
----------------

audiobahn_99...I'm in the military too and just returned from Europe. Check AAFES online, they carry the full range of Denon receivers and their price on the 2803 is $699 (if you open a Star account, you can get 10% off that price too which is how I got my 5803 for $2800). I called Denon directly and they confirmed that AAFES IS an authorized Denon dealer (they said their lower prices was the "reward" they gave to our men in blue for giving at least 4 years of their life away to the military! 9.gif) so you won't have to worry about getting warranty service.

According to the Denon literature, the 2803 has the same main DACs as the 3803 though I'm sure a few corners were cut here and there in other respects--but you should have at least comparable results when the converters make the analog waveforms from digital data. Not to say there's anything wrong with Marantz, Onkyo, Yammy, Pioneer, Outlaw or any other quality receviers out there, in fact, I owned a Yammy myself for many years--but I also think you won't be disappointed with the Denon. I powered my HT setup (below) with one of Denon's base models for our entire tour in Europe (AVR-1800) and found it mated very nicely with the Klipsch setup even at its modest output ratings.

Good luck!

- J.T.

Stuff my wife thinks I'm having more fun with than her...

Denon AVR-5803 (Receiver)

Panasonic TH42PWD5UY (42" ED Plasma Display)

2 Klipsch KLF-20s (Left / Right)

1 Klipsch KLF-10 (Center)

4 Klipsch KLF-C7s (Side and Rear Surrounds)

1 Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Denon DVD-1600 (Progressive DVD Video/Audio Player)

Pioneer DVL-919 (DVD/LD Combo-Player)

Yamaha CDC-735 (CD Changer, only used as transport)

JVC HRS8000U (S-VHS VCR)

Panamax 1000+ (Power Conditioner)

Snailspace all the companies that participate inthe military exvchange system must adhere to strict guidelines in all of their business ventures.

I believe Aafes catalog orders are shipped directly from the manufacturer. I also believe Aafes requires vendor reps to visit every location once per year, at least stateside. So the question of authorized dealer is never a question with Aafes.

As crooked as they may seem at least twice a year they have price reductions on every piece of electronics, even bose. You just have to catch them.

sometimes I wish I was still in, but I enjoy calling in sick every once in a while.

thank you for your dedication,

scott

I think aafes is the way to go, the price for the 3803 and 2803 are a little more expensive then on ebay but their warrenty support, no shipping costs, ect. outweighs purchasing from a non-authorized dealer. Thanks for the replies and the help, the Air Force is very "Family Oriented" so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to enjoy either the 3803 or 2803. Snail's_Pace were you ever stationed at Spangdahlem AB, Germany?

Just to ad, I to was stationed overseas in Germany from 89-94. I was with the Canadian Forces in Lahr and would frequent the American PX in Karlshrue and Frankfurt. I actually bought my Khorns through the PX in Frankfurt. You'll get a better price, during my tour I got, no duty, tax, tariff's etc. when purchasing items, even on the Economy.

The PX is a nice place to shop 1.gif

----------------

On 3/9/2003 10:19:10 AM audiobahn_99 wrote:

I think aafes is the way to go, the price for the 3803 and 2803 are a little more expensive then on ebay but their warrenty support, no shipping costs, ect. outweighs purchasing from a non-authorized dealer. Thanks for the replies and the help, the Air Force is very "Family Oriented" so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to enjoy either the 3803 or 2803. Snail's_Pace were you ever stationed at Spangdahlem AB, Germany?
----------------

I visited Spang from time to time, but I was actually stationed at Ramstein from 98 to 01. I like your term "family oriented"...after spending nearly 8 months away from mine with the Air Force, we're actually not using our HT as much as I thought we would--just too many other priorities to juggle! 9.gif

Have a great week!

- J.T.

I didn't take the time to read everyones posts, but I would like to make a big chime in for Harman Kardon. The Harman Kardon AVR-520 is a very good receiver. There are several Harman Kardon folks here on the board.

I was recently in the market for a mid level receiver. From what I read, you really can't go wrong w/ HK, Denon or Onkyo. After much deliberation, we decided to get the Onkyo SR800. Main reasons were because it seemed to be the only sub 1000 receiver that included THX certification (Select), also I got a great price from an authorized online dealer (onecall.com).

I upgraded from a Pioneer VSX-D602S. So far, I'm highly satisfied with the SR800.