RedHat Linux question...

tpg

I just downloaded the three ISO's for Mandrake Linux and burned them. Took only a few hours. 1.gif

Well, that will do fine on my future workstation, but I wanted RedHat for a server... but as far as I can tell I need 5 ISO's. Is this correct? It says on their How To Download page that I only need 3 ISO's, but 5 appear on the FTP's. Each is around 600 megs... that will take a while... darn, maybe even a day. LOL Do I need all five? So, I would need psyche-i386-disc 1-5, but do I need psyche-docs? What are the docs? Why would I need them? Of course this probably isn't the pro RedHat... dissapointing, but still... for free, who can beat it?

I basically just answered my own question... found a readme I had missed before... Discs 4 and 5 contain SRPMs and other apps. Hmm. Well, I will slowly DL this over the next week and might build a comp for Mandrake use. Would this be much better than Windows? I have heard it is.

I could mail you the three CDs if you want. I already have them at work as we use Red Hat at the college where I work. I believe we have the current version as well. Drop me an email if you want, with your address, etc. Have the new Free BSD as well. More servers use it than RH.

Marvel

I had Beos installed on one of my spare computers a while back.

It was incredibly fast, I was amazed at how responsive it was on a pentiumII 266.

I remember a friend of mine showing me a site for the openBeos project I think it was called.

The newer versions of Redhat however seem kinda bloated unless you tweak the heck out of it.

My little 266MHz dell has had Redhat linux, Corel Linux, Beos, Windows NT4, Windows 98, and I think I still have Marvel's cd with FreeBSD around somewhere so I might try that as well.

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 3/8/2003 4:54:38 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Well, I will slowly DL this over the next week and might build a comp for Mandrake use. Would this be much better than Windows? I have heard it is.

----------------

It depends on what you use the computer for (what apps).

Linux (UNIX) is much more stable and tons more scaleable than anything Microsoft is evan dreaming of doing. That is great for servers, but desktops is a whole other area.

If you are shell literate, there will be no problems at all. If you want and require GUI just like MS Explorer, you will still have some work ahead of you although the newer KDE and Gnome shells are very friendly. Lindows is also promising. Star office is great for most people. Most publishing and multimedia software had UNIX versions.

Been doing various forms of UNIX since the early 80s when I was in College. FWIW - I generally feel system 5 UNIX is more stable than Berkley (BSD).

JM

----------------

On 3/8/2003 8:49:06 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

My little 266MHz dell has had Redhat linux, Corel Linux, Beos, Windows NT4, Windows 98, and I think I still have Marvel's cd with FreeBSD around somewhere so I might try that as well.

Peace, Josh

----------------

Linux is great with "old" computers. To conserve on electricity, I only run one of my servers 24/7. It's a Dell P233 MMX w/ 32MB running Mandrake 8.2. The thing runs SSH/Telnet/HTTP/Mail/News... w/out skipping a beat.