The clearance is on ---

Bulldawg

In Arizona, Showcase Home Entertainment (owned by Tweeter/Sound Advice) is running about 30% off as well. That pretty well matches the gray-market on-line dealers. So, you get it from an authorized distributor. You have to pay sales tax, of course, but no shipping. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Doug

Well...since they only pay around 40% MSRP to begin with...I would wait til they mark stuff down to 50%-off before I go running in there thinking I am getting the deal of a lifetime! LOL!

Actually a 30% discount means that they are rolling the stuff out at just about raw cost. The industry standard is a 40% markup:

e.g Cost =1000.00

Markup =400.00

Retail = 1400.00

30% discount on 1400.00 = 420.00

1400.00 - 420 = 980.00

Therefore a 30% discount really is a pretty good deal.

Dallas area - not sure why there was a disparity in advertised pricing - would assume could get same pricing as they are owned by the same company.

Tweeter ~ 25% discount

Hillcrest ~ 30% discount

Will be much more tempted if they were to hit ~ 50%..

Is this clearance advertised by Tweeter or are you guys just calling your local Tweeter and asking about it?

I looked all over the Tweeter site, but saw no mention of it.

I would appreciate the scoop on this either via the forum or private message.

Thanks,

~shoe

lynnm:

Retail items with a manufacturer's suggested retail price usually work the other way around:

$1,000 suggested retail

less 40% =

$600 dealer cost.

So they can clear at 30% off and still make 10% although that's not much of a profit.

"Retail items with a manufacturer's suggested retail price usually work the other way around:

$1,000 suggested retail

less 40% =

$600 dealer cost.

So they can clear at 30% off and still make 10% although that's not much of a profit."

40% + 10% prompt payment discount and pre-paid freight for a large order.

That means the dealer pays $54 laid in for a $100 speaker.

30% off a $100 speaker would be $70.

54/70=.77

He is making 23% margin on the sale.

Most dealers need 30% to keep their doors open and show a profit.

Electronics and video have shorter margins (video is very short).

The Tweeters here has marked down all thier Klispsch (except the RF-7s, though). I can get a pair of RF-5s for around $1000, which is about a 30% discount. I may be able to squeak another 15% out of them (I know for a fact that I can get another 5% out). I am going to take them up on thier offer and get a pair of RF-5s to use as Surrounds (ala, Orange Peel). I'll keep the RS-7s and use that nice feature of the Denon of being able to hook an A surround and a B surround with the ability to switch between them (or run them all together). The Infinity towers will be relegated to the basement setup.

They did tell me that the RF-7s are all but gone! The store here has a pair on the floor and I was told that pair along with around 3 or 4 other stores with floor models are the only pairs of RF-7 left. I tried to talk them out of the floor model RF-7s for a 50% discount, but no dice!

The RF-5s will wait till after next weekend, when the skiing is done. They told me they have plenty available, at least 90 days or so worth.