1975 Cornwalls for $400 bucks

NOSValves

I bet this got you all looking 1.gif . There already gone. The local Klipsch dealer had a set for sale they took in on trade or something for $500 (mopar dave emailed me yesterday about them). I knew I didn't want them but I went and took a look and then called a good friend of mine and much to my surprise he went in and offered $400 and they took it. So I have another local Heritage user which also happens to be a good friend to boot !

Craig

Oh the serial number on one is 6N917 I believe this is 1975 am I correct ??

I almost bought them myself just couldn't figure where I would hide them from the wife 1.gif They had a few scars but overall very presentable they sounded great even with the cheesy SS amp they were powered with !! He has them setup in his basement with all concrete walls and floors so he is in for some serious room tweaking and a better amplification will be required. I will probably go over there this weekend with a spare amp of mine and see what they sound like myself.

Craig

That's the deal of the century! $400 for a pair of vintage '75 Cornwalls. I don't recall ever seeing a pair of Cornwalls go for that low a price, although I've read it here that some lucky souls have been given a pair for free...including me!9.gif

Got my Cornwalls free too! A very dear friends wife ordered them "out of the house!". He thought they were beyond refurbishment anyway. This same buddy of mine practically gave away a pair of MC-30's to another friend. He does however have a 7' Schimmel Grand in place of the Cornwalls and Macs that sounds very nice.

Craig,

Fired up the 299 tonight. Very, very sweet. Can't wait to burn in all the Telefunken's. Great job! Thank you!

Regards,

Chris

Chris, your Cornwalls are absolutely beautiful...I assume you did the mods and not the original owner. Did you strip down the black paint off the motorboards and refinish/apply new veneer? It looks like mahogany. They're stunning indeed (and quite original without the grill), and the older style brass nameplate is an eye-pleaser as well.

Very nice. You should be proud!1.gif

jt1stcav,

My buddy had the woofers reconed after his dog chewed out the centers. The metal centers tighten up the bass a tad. As far as the cabinets are concerned, they were originally raw birch, treated only with Linseed oil. The "Designer" series (I believe it was called. HDBRbuilder can say for sure.) came as you see them, no grill frame, with the speakers mounted from the inside. All I did was change out the inside wire, add Cardas binding posts, replace the tweeter diaphragms and have them refinished. The logo is original. I think they look very modern and much more expensive than they are actually worth. Someday, when I have the proper room, I'd like to either find another pair to refinish similarly or have HDBRbuilder (If he could and would.) build a set of cabinets to put the components in. With Cardas binding posts, it would be very easy to swap speaker cables between 2 channel and HT.

Andy,

I'd love to come over and compare our amps. I do have a few extra Telefunken 12AX7's, but I'll be putting them in a Fisher X-101 that Mike Zuccaro is finishing up restoring this week. BTW, my Scott is a 299, not a 299B. Supposedly there is very little difference between the two except for different transformers. Let's try and get Allen Songer involved. He is a music and vintage tube gear Sensei that I'd love to meet sometime.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, thanks for the info regarding your "Designer" Cornwalls. They are a sight to behold! Wow, if only Andy could be swayed to build me a pair of Designer cabinets just like yours...damn, if only I could win the Lotto!

I could always dream...5.gif