Is this a good job of crating up the belles?

m00n

I just got an email from the lady who is selling me the belles, here is how the crating company is going to package them up...

Anyone see anything wrong?

I would recommend a 'modified air cargo' crate. Basically, it's a solid

plywood base with a solid plywood top connected with plywood stringers to

protect the corner edges. The speakers will sit on 1/2" medium density

foamboard for shock absorption. This crating is suitable for LTL truck

freight or air cargo and can be handled by forklift or pallet jack.

1. We would propose picking up the speakers at your home (blanket-wrap for

protection) and taking them to our shop.

2. We will wrap each speaker in four layer cotton based padded international

wrap, then, after placing in base, cardboard wrap and then stretch wrap.

3. Packing into crate as described above. (Packaging weight approximately 40

pounds

4. Delivering to Forward Air.

We have been in the custom crating for 30 years, and have never had damage to

product due to crate failure or crate design.

Only thing I am not too thrilled about is only the corners are going to be protected by plywood.

m00n,

I think this is personally a great job. they will be wrapped in cotton batting,card board wrap and shrink wrapped. Plus wrapped in blankets to the crating facility.........

See I told you it was just like holding a newborn baby.....

I should probalby butt out of your threads for awhile but...

The way I read the proposal is the speakers would be well wrapped "#2. We will wrap each speaker in four layer cotton based padded international wrap, then, after placing in base, cardboard wrap and then stretch wrap." before putting on the "solid plywood top connected with plywood stringers to protect the corner edges. The speakers will sit on 1/2" medium density foamboard for shock absorption." Sounds good to me.

The biggest reason I am posting this is because Andy had made a comment about how they were packaged up in a different thread. Also, I wanted to bring attention to and get feedback ASAP as tomorrow morning 9:00am EST the guy will be showing up. I just spoke to the lady who is selling them to me and told her I may want to speak with the crating guy tomorrow in the event I had some questions.

Oh and yes... Shipped tomorrow. Yippie!

Oh and ED... Nah... you replies are always welcome 1.gif

m00n,

The description to me is just like the card board boxes you see regular speaker come in, where they sit inside a styroform padding on the top and bottom. Only in this case it will be reinforced with ply wood just like a cage of sorts........

i didn't understand the ED comment???? why shouldn't he speak?

NOW, here is the part your gonna love. Really you are. ... Shipping these bad boys is only going to cost me $125.00 and that's WITH insurance. I am blown away at this.

Crating costs......... $185.00

Shipping costs.........$125.00

==============================

TOTAL COST.............$310.00

FROM m00n's eariler Belle, posts..................

----------------

On 3/13/2003 8:22:50 PM Bill H. wrote:

m00n,

The description to me is just like the card board boxes you see regular speaker come in, where they sit inside a styroform padding on the top and bottom. Only in this case it will be reinforced with ply wood just like a cage of sorts........

i didn't understand the ED comment???? why shouldn't he speak?

----------------

True......

And I don't know why Ed feels that way? Maybe he is tired of my mad rush of questions up here in 2 channel land. 2.gif

Go for it. All of these people are professionals -- and they are insured.

Couldn't possibly be any worse than UPS dropping kicking things back and forth across the country.

Mostly just forklifts and trucks -- if anyone is likely to screw up -- it will be you trying to get them off of your truck and set up in your house. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2003 10:38:34 PM DeanG wrote:

if anyone is likely to screw up -- it will be you trying to get them off of your truck and set up in your house.
9.gif

----------------

27.gif

If I do just go ahead and 29.gif me to put me out of my misery.

I will blame it on my bum wrist.

Hope you have lots of help schlepping those big Belle Klipsch out of those crates...don't wanna damage you busticated wrist anymore than you already have! I'd help you out if I could (Lord knows I have lots of time on my hands being out of work), but it's hard to get to Oregon from Florida...7.gif

Bill, the wrist a lot better, but I am not sure it will ever be 100% again. The doc said I did one hell of a job on it. I have to keep the pins, screws and plates in it for at least a year. 7.gif

As far as my belles go. I spoke to the crating guy this morning on the phone. He really helped to relieve a lot of concerns I had about the finish getting scratched and the speakers overall damaged.

So, the crate guy took them today, he will deliver them to the shipping company on Monday. It's supposed to take 5 days... I am going to add about 3 days in the event any setback occur because that is the kind of ****ty luck I always have. So I am figuring about the 25th or 26th I will be able to pick them up.

As far as having someone help me? Well, I am figuring on renting a small uhaul van and a dolly. My neighbor across the street said he would help me get them in the house. I know it's going to be quite a job.14.gif

The Belles aren't all that big. When I bought my pair I was able to put them in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee along with their original shipping boxes. When I got them home I moved them into my basement with a 2 wheeled dolly, a padded moving blanket, and my lovely wife's help.

Yeah... I guess I could have mentioned this, but living in Oregon we are subject to a LOT of rain. I want the van simply to keep them from getting wet in the back of my Toyota and I don't think my wifes Mitsubishi is quit big enough.

I am sure that having two guys move them should be easy enough. I am going to keep all the packing material just in case. 2.gif

Watch the forklifts! In addition to goreing your speakers, they can just fall off. Forward Air is great on price and speed, but I recall my horror as my 'horns arrived from Denver at DFW and we picked them up. You can imagine my elation and anticipation. So the guy manages to get down the ramp, but just as he reached the pickup truck one of the bass cabinets gradually, slowwwwwwwwly, painnnnnnnnnnfully slowwwwwwwly tilted over and fell a good 4 feet to the pavement. I actually attempted to throw myself under it. Probably a good thing I didn't quite make it.

Anyway, no damage was done other than near heart attack.

Dave