DVD-A vrs SACD

BlueMonk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the Pioneer 47ai it has been a great addition to the HT and music side. The issue with SACD vs DVD-A is like the beta and vhs. Putting the best of 2 worlds into an affordable player such as the 45a and the 47ai is a great deal for the end user.

I would feel very comfortable recommending a multi format player to anyone. but then again I am hardly swayed by the "professional review"

Either way both formats are a step up from CD, but that is MO.

scott

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread, but by standards at present, DVD Audio is ahead of SACD(North American market, USA and Canada), plain and simple. Europe still loves LP's and true analog kids 2.gif

First off, it's like VHS vs BETA in video eons ago. DVD Audio is mass marketed produced for 5.1(I will leave 2 channel SACD out of it)and "now" SACD multi channel, why, cause Warner is ruling the roost, just like the old vcr debate. Guess who won? 2.gif

Sony always makes the mistake of keeping to themselves and not sharing, "bang", guess what, info shared, and altered, and who wins?

I have heard SACD, excellent format, but you will fork over above 1K for a quality player(even 3K)?!

I will have SACD someday(2 channel only), but for now, is it worth it..NOT...DVD Audio is a great format, oh yes 2.gif

i first bought the 45a from pioneer, every aspect is really good (you get what you pay for) it has a really neutral uncolored presentation in all formats, but i did after 1 week trade it in on an 47a1 reason being larger power supply, better audio section, better video section, better transport. it costed double, and all in all it is not double in performance (just slightly better) but build quality is important to me, longevity. for the price the 45a is a superb machine. i alos auditioned the yammies, the denons and rotels, rotel being the best of the 3, but my 47a1 is every bit as good as rotel, and of utmost importance, it works ha ha ha ha ha12.gif

Vladi,

I must correct you on the DTS Disc. DTS Entertainmant not only makes DTS CD's that are both 16 & 20 bit but they also make High Resolution DVD Audio Disc. The DVD A disc they produce may contain the following;

24/192 Two Channel Hi Res Stereo

24/96 Hi Res Multi Channel Surround

24/48 Hi Res Multi Channel Surround

24/20 DTS Multi Channel Surround

Dolby Digital 2.0 2.1 4.0 4.1 5.1

This also holds true to other DVD Audio disc produced by other companies. Not all will have both DTS & Dolby Digital but will have one to accompany the Hi Res Tracks.

I have been into DVD Audio for almost 2 years now. I love the format. I have considered the SACD format and will eventually get one only because of the selection offered in that format as well. As far as one format sounding better then the other. Nope! Both sound very very good when done right. But when done wrong it shows up. As far as the format war. As long as it stays with the two formats and DTS/DD as the sub sound mixes I can live with that.

Both have there pro's and con's.

DVD Audio discs can be played on any DVD player and you can get multi channel surrond music from either the DTS or Dolby Digitl soundtrack that is always on a DVD A.

SACD's can be played on almost any CD player with the typical CD quality sound one is associated with.

Now the DVD Audio camp is gearing up to release future DVD Audio titles with a standard 16/44 track so it can play in any cd player.

Who will when out in the end? I don't know, but I put myself on the dvd side only because the DVD (Digital Versitile Disc)format is more user friendly and has tons more storage capacity then a standard cd.

IMHO

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks for the info Scooter, to add, a regular SACD will not play on any cd player.

If you have a "hybred" SACD, it will play on "any" cd player. A good example is Dark Side of the Moon and it's 30th Ann release, in SACD format and Hybred multi channel...you still need a proper SACD player\reader to get the full info...any cd player will read the Hybred info and play it in "2 channel", or multi if you select it(5 channel on the A\V Receiver) 10.gif

to expand on my first post, i now have all formats, and i must say that all are excellent i really could not choose 1 over the other i suppose 1 will win, but we are all winners as long as we have the ability to play the survivor in the format wars, plus we can keep the loser much like those who still have 8 track in thier garages, ahhhhh the memories12.gif

After finally buying a SACD player, I picked up 3 discs at Best Buy. Dark Side...,Star Trek Nemesis Soundtrack, and Bon Jovi Bounce. Then Picked up Footloose Soundtrack online.

The packaging is clearly labeled. Dark Side & Nemesis were labeled as Hybrids. Bon Jovi & Footloose not. Also Footloose labeled as 2CH,while others said Multi Channel.

I decided to try them on friends regular cd player. Was simply amazed at how the hybrids sounded! When I got home I put them in my SACD player and was blown away!!

I also have DVD-A. Both are great formats. Aside from having players do both,why not have recievers with 2 sets of 6CH inputs? I believe Sony had a model at one time,if I remember correctly. That way,a consumer could get high quality from having seperates.

To get both formats to work for me,I bought 3 audio switchers from Radio Shack. Can't remember model #. But each had 3 inputs with 1 output. What I did was, since I have seperate DD/DTS decoders, labeled switcher #1 as mains. Ran DD/DTS feed into source #1, DVD-A into source #2, SACD into source #3. Then from there to reciever.

I then labeled switcher #2 as surrounds,and repeated the same wiring.

Switcher #3 was sub/center.

So when I want to change formats,I just push the buttons on front of the 3 boxes. I hate to have elcheapo Radio Crack in my system,but it works. It would be nice to see a company build a high quality switcher for this purpose. They could make some good money IMHO.

Sony ES series still have two multi-channel direct inputs. As a matter of fact my STR-DA5ES has two, and one is 7.1 input, the other 5.1 input, as well as a 7.1 pre-out. The quality of the whole thing is another story though, but I like it for HT. I will be getting something else for 2 channel music.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to try SACD. I got an open box SACD player for $129. So far I heard DSOTM, but I am disappointed, it is noisy and hisses. My DVD-A player does't hiss, as well as another SACD - Aerosmith Oh Yeah. Could be the cheap player.

----------------

On 5/31/2003 1:33:53 AM Vladi wrote:

Sony ES series still have two multi-channel direct inputs. As a matter of fact my STR-DA5ES has two, and one is 7.1 input, the other 5.1 input, as well as a 7.1 pre-out. The quality of the whole thing is another story though, but I like it for HT. I will be getting something else for 2 channel music.

----------------

I also have the DA5ES and while I like it for HT, it is un-listenable (is that a word?) for 2-channel. That's why I have the scott (prior to the scott my old kenwood blew the sony away also). I haven't had the chance to try and use the pre-outs to run my scott through the sony. Maybe soon. If that works for 2-channel it would make things a lot easier. From what I understand, I can use the scott for my HT fronts that way also.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the denon 2900 an i like both formats so much that i sold all of my cd's and am working to replace my favorites, the difference between cd, and sacd is really huge, same with dvd-aand parrot is right, i have the unforgiving khorns as my front channels, and i hear dead silence when playing, no unwanted signal, go to the suggested dvd review site, it is dead on12.gif

this may well be a moot question, it seems that all the debate about dvd-a, sacd, which is better, which will last is answered at a web site called HARMONICDISCORD.COM there are several threads supposedly by people in the business telling of sony's failure to sell enough disc's to be profitable, so sony intends to pull the plug? its good reading12.gif