What do Ohms mean or do?

I am curious, what do the Ohms do? The Impediance rate I guess it is. I have the Quintet system, and two speakers are rated 4Ohms while the other two are rated 8Ohms. The Center is rated 8Ohms. What does that mean in simple terms? Also, should the 4Ohms speakers be in the front, or the back, and should the 8Ohms be in the back or front?

Thank you!

Ohms/impedence is a measure of resistance. Others here can give a more in depth response. The lower the impedence, the lower the resistance. And I lost my train of thought... Anyway, it shouldn't matter which speakers are up front. Lynnm- leaving this to you. 2.gif

TPG is correct

Resistance is measured/specified in Ohms and describes the extent that a given conductor or device will tend to restrict the flow of a Direct Current. Resistance is actually more properly stated as " D.C. resistance"

Impedance is also specified in Ohms and describes the extent to which a given conductor or device will tend to restrict the flow of an Alternating Current.

That specification is somewhat different from resistance because the impedance will vary according to the frequency of the current.

In other words all things being equal a 100 Ohm "resistor" will always present a 100 Ohm resistance to a DC flow.

A device might well show an impedance of 8 Ohms at a frequency of 1000 hz., an impedance of 60 Ohms at 10000 hz., and 2 Ohms at 25 Hz. Therefore speaker manufacturers use the term Nominal Impedance to describe the Impedance of a speaker and thus an 8 Ohm speaker may be considered to present an average impedance of 8 Ohms in normal use.

I do not know why your quintets have 8 Ohm and 4 Ohm ratings but I wouldn't get too concerned about it as this will have little or no effect upon how they perform and will be unlikely to cause any special strain upon your amplifier.

I am afraid I am unable to advise you re placement as I honestly am not especially familiar with those speakers ( ie. I have only seen pictures of them and that hardly makes me an expert on their dispersion characteristics etc.)

Ohm is the chant of Buddhist monks.

Or maybe it is a measure of restriction to the flow of electricity in a circuit, sort of like a pinched hose or cracked valve.

Or maybe it is a nineteenth century German physicist.

Take you pick.

• Klipsch Employees

Some of the Quintet went out with the wrong sticker on them...well for sale in the US that is. Over seas, they require MIN impedance ratings. Here we use NOMINAL. The Quintet is a 8 Ohm Nominal and 4 Ohm MIN speaker.

So, all of your speakers are the same just different stickers...

You must have an older set, I thought we had that "fixed" not long after we found the problem.

Sorry for the confusion.

The following was taken from our listening lounge.

http://www.klipsch.com/listeninglounge/audiophilespeak.asp

Impedance

Parameter used by speaker engineers to characterize how much current the speaker will draw from an amplifier. Low impedance means correspondingly higher current. Impedance is the opposition to current flow in an AC circuit, specified in ohms. Impedance is to an AC signal what resistance is to DC. Impedance differs from resistance in that impedance implies that the load is not a simple resistance, but a combination of resistance, inductive reactance, and capacitive reactance.

Ohm's Law

The amount of current flow is determined by two things: the resistor's resistance value and the supply voltage. More resistance will decrease current flow. Conversely, a higher voltage will increase current flow. The relationship is expressed by Ohm 's Law, which states that: V=IxR Note: If we Know any two values, we can calculate the third using Ohm 's Law.