Type A Crossovers Completed - Pictures *************

Cut-Throat

I have completed 1 of my Type 'A' Crossovers. I started out with a piece of Paduk Wood from the Indian Ocean. Finished it with 5 coats of Tung Oil.

I am most proud of the Cardas Binding Posts that I have mounted to it. I so far have the Cheapie Solen Caps in it, and may leave them. Unless someone can convince me that $200 for Hovelands are worth it.

I have only tested the prototype as of yet. It works, but I cannot comment on the sound until they are both done and I've completed a listening session.

paduk%20a%20crossover%202.jpg

paduk%20a%20crossover.jpg

I use Jensen Oil caps instead of the stock oil ones. Got them directly from  Jensen.

georges

------------------------------

Here are Al Klappenberger's comments on capacitor caps (Jensen Oil caps in Cornwall Crossover impressions, 9/12/2002) You can look it up under the search function and type in "capacitors":

Hi everybody,

George was good enough to send me one of the 2.2 uF Jensen paper in oil caps that he tried to use in his Cornwall crossover. I put it on my impedance bridge and measured it.

These things are unquestionably a total rip-off! The thing measured 2.099 uF with a quality factor of only 200! In contrast, I have measured many Hovland MusiCaps and have never found one yet that measured below 2000.

More musical, baloney! They are simply so lossey that all you highs go away as heat inside the capacitor! This is equivalant to connecting a .38 ohm resistor in sereis with a Hovland MusiCap.

My advice --  DON'T USE THEM!

"Quality factor" is the same as "Q". It's defined as the ratio of capacitive reactance (pure capacitor effect) and series loss as represented by a simple resistor.

a 2.2 uF cap has 1 / (2 Pi F C) ohms reactance. At 1000 Hz, that is 72.34 Ohms reactance. A Q of 200 means there is .362 Ohms of loss inside the cap. That is, 72.34 / 200 = .362.

A similar Hovland Musicap will have an internal loss equivalant to a .036 Ohm resistor.

I think that's why Hovlands have thicker wires coming out of them. The wires become a significant part of the loss. With the Jensen, who cares about the leads. they can be small because the loss in the cap is so much.

One reason the Jensen caps may be used in tube amps is becasue they are rated 400VDC. The Hovlands I use are only rated 100VDC. For crossover networks, you could use 25VDC caps and be safe.

Also, in an amp you in an "active" circuit. This means losses are not a problem. You just turn the volume up a bit to compensate. In a filter, like in a crossover network, the frequency response and input impedance get loused up! Losses are usually highest at the points of maximum group dealy, That happens near the crossover itself. Specifically, about the 1 or 2 dB down point on the skirt of each filter.

Al K.

Go with the Hovlands, if only in the lower value cap, eg. 2.0 uF. It does not make as big a difference for the higher value cap. I noticed more soundstage and detail.

No the crossovers are in my Belles. I look at them once in awhile, so it's not a total waste. The woodworking did not take the brunt of the time. A little samding, and just wiping with the tung oil. The wiring took the longest. So I figured, why not have it on a neat piece of wood. I could mount them on top of the Belles, but I don't want to push the WAF too far!9.gif

As far as mounting the Solens on the board, I just used some closed loop terminal ends secured by some brass screws and soldered the leads of the caps to it. The Actual bodies of the Caps are so light, that additional securing was not necessary.

As far as mounting the Solens on the board, I just used some closed loop terminal ends secured by some brass screws and soldered the leads of the caps to it.

-------------------------

If you want to make them stick, you can also used a dab or two from a hot glue gun. This option works better if the crossovers are not visible, ie. inside the cabinet.

I understand what you mean about the WAF.

Danny,

The Cardas binding posts I had left over from an amp project that I worked on. Now that they are there, it sure is a lot more convienient. Thanks for the comments!

The Crossovers sound great! - As far as comparing them to my Type AB's, I'm not sure there is a 'Huge' Difference. But I like simpler and these certainly fit that bill.

The flyfisherman is a .gif file that I found on the web and modified it a bit with a programming tool. It just takes a bit of HTML progtramming knowledge.

Nice Job. Yeah, the wood is cool. Very nice.

I second the Auricaps...big time.

As for something like the Cardas posts versus the terminal screws -- which of the two are more like wire? The terminal strips and screws are very low mass, and more likely to pass the signal cleaner.

Anyone buying that? I didn't think so.9.gif