Heresy or RF3?

I know, questions similar to this one has been asked again and again, but after searching for a while on the forums I still have my question unanswered. Im a happy owner of 1980s Heresy's and have loved them since I bought them at around 1994.

But someone I know offer me a pair of used (but perfect) RF3's for around 600 bucks, the price might not appear to be that good, but if you consider I live in Mexico City and that in a store I would have to pay around 800 or more to get them you will see the offer is reasonable.

Now, my question regarding both is not about which is more "musical" or "accurated", I just want to know if the RF3 are remarkable superior on the imaging and soundstage departments. I will appreciate first hand experiences.

Thanks!

I own both and IMO the Heresy mops the floor with the RF-3 in Imaging and soundstage (the same thing I thought) . The RF-3 is a great slam HT, rock and roll speaker and a great value in the new department. But it just can't compete with the Heritage horns !!

Craig

I tend to agree. Not having owned either pair, I'm quite aquainted with the Heresys from a friend whom I frequently visit. The Heresy are an amazing little horn speaker, with gobs of imaging and wide dynamics!

I have auditioned the RF-3IIs on several occassions at a local retailer before, but they seemed to lack a bit in the soundstage department. I know this is an unfair comparison, plus the RF-3IIs were not in a dedicated soundroom, or setup with proper placement. I know they're an outstanding loudspeaker, though, and I'd probably be very pleased if I owned a pair.

I just know how fantastic the Heresys sound; they're tight, extremely focused, and its imaging completely envelops you in music! They're a smaller scale version of my Heritage Cornwalls, so maybe I'm a little biased.

For what it's worth!

Bullsh!t.

I owned the RB-5's for almost two years, and have had Heresies as well. No three-way will image as good as a two-way.

They both do different things well. They should be judged on their own merit. Which is 'better' is strictly a matter of preference.

Bullsh!t !!!

I own both and I did judge them on the own merits and a RB5 it not a RF-3 just like the RF-7 is not the RF-3 one cost $800 and the other cost $2K I would hope there is a major difference !! My Opinion is the RF-3 can not touch the Heresy except in the Bass region !! That is my story and I'm sticking to it. Another thing Dean is your auditioning your speakers with different amps and in different room put the stuff side by side before you decide. Another thing is would I want the Heresy's or the RF-3 for listening to Chevelle no contest the RF-3 all the way. But for a wider range of music the Heresy would win the prize !

Craig

Gents, shall we tone down the expletives?

To me, this is an apples to oranges, your milage may vary, beauty is in the eye of the beholder comparison. Manuel might have to audition the RF-3's and see which he likes best.

I own both the RF-3's and the BR-5's. They attack the same program material differntly, and had different design objectives, and delivery different results. I happen to like th eRB-5's slightly better for music, but to me, the Rf-3 is an over-achiever and great multi purpose speaker. Couldn't afford to step up to the RF-5's or 7's, maybe one of these days.

As far as the Heresy, have heard it, but not in my living room. It sounded great with the equipment it was associated with. My suspicion is that I'd opt for the Rf-3's given my current equipment and objectives (have room for only one priamry system for movies and music).

Heck, I'll through in my 2 cents worth. I have owned rf3's but not the heresy as part of my sojourn to find the 'perfect' sound. I guess I have come to see that that sound is in the ear of the beholder. The Rf3's are very good speakers for lots of different kinds of music. Nice on acoustics, orchestral, jazz and pretty good on rock. But I believe that you can't beat the sound of the 3 way heritage series when it comes to all around musical satisfaction. I sold the rf3's in order to move up to klf-20. Very good speakers in there own stead, but I got rid of even them in order to buy a pair of chorus I's first(whice I still own and aren't going anywhere), and recently a pair of cornwalls. Now that is about as close to perfection as I have come so far. The journey is fun, but based on my experience with the heritage line I would stick with the heresies.

"listening to Chevelle"

Stock they sound relatively mellow but with glass packs they can be pretty muscle car sounding. I recall a 1968 model we called the "Killer Red Tomato".

At $400 a pair the Heresys are pretty nice. The heritage speakers just seem like a better value, but then we are comparing new slim towers to used vintage looking boxes which may not be as appealing to everyone.

Who in gods name was saying anyone's was better than anyone's ????? I own both and like both I just think Hereseys are a better all around speaker except when hard rocking music of today comes into play !! Who is raising a fit here ?

Besides if you hear Dean and I talk on the phone you would use ears plugs if this bother you geezzz

Craig

LOL

Pretty funny! Craig and me go at it just for fun -- ain't nothing serious going on here.

I did say it's a personal thing -- no telling what a person might really prefer in the end.

My comparisons were based on previous experience with the RB-5 at home, and the RF-3's I have heard at a friends house and at Carlin Audio. I just think the treble is smoother, the bass more extended, and warmer overall -- which is what I tend to like.

Heresies are dynamite too -- I just don't believe they do as good a job at instrument placement. They throw a huge soundfield, but that's not what 'imaging' is.

Bullsh!t indeed.2.gif9.gif

Dean,

You just have Girly ears and listen to ear bleeding music that Klipsch Heritage in all the honesty reproduce it in a fashion where you have to actually hear what is being presented rather than a toned down version 2.gif

Boy now that was bullsh!t LOL !!!!

Craig

Is ther a schematic or forum thread that captures what Dean and LEOK have done to mod the RF-7 crossover?

I woiuld like to share it with my local dealer.

They still run RF-7 through SS in a home theater setup only. YUCK!

DP1954; Dave Potter

Is the Cornwall that much of a difference than Chorus in the sound?

You may be the only person I am aware of on the forum that has both in the same house.

Rick

Honest question:

Is it possible that the heritage series was designed or "voiced" to work well with tube gear, and the Reference Series is just fine with SS gear? I know many use tube gear with Reference Series, many many more use it with decent quality SS amplification and, like me, are very pleased with the results.

Remember I did my Cornwalls too? I listened to the Cornwalls for about a week when I opened them up and rewired them. I thought it sounded smoother after I did it.

I was checking out what Monster charges per foot for the Z wire Klipsch puts in. Looks like considering what I paid for the silver coated copper -- I spent LESS than what it would have cost to rewire them with the same wire Klipsch uses. Gee, I guess that means I down-graded. ;~)