Tubsicles?

AndyKubicki

I've not had the oppotunity to experiment with these. My biggest concern with cyro-treating tubes is that the coefficients of expansion/contraction between glass (tube) and metal (pins) vary. There is a potential for microfractures to form between the glass and pins.

Therefore, the tube, being a vacuum device, can potentially draw air into the tube causing oxidation of the elements and significantly shorted tube life.

BUT, I do use the cryo-treated outlets from Mike Brinkman. At $35.00, these are a no-brainer improvement, albeit small, to my system.

Yeah, I can see your faces, but I remember the same look on Edster's face when I brought over the Daruma roller devices to put under his CD player... He can tell you about it.

I have no idea whether or not this makes a sonic difference but I would imagine that as you cool the metals down to very low temperatures they start to behave like superconducters with zero resistance.

I am not sure, however, if this effect is lasting as the tubes are returned to more normal temperatures.

Frankly I cant quite see why this would be desirable. I spend most of my time waiting for my tubes to warm up - not freeze them solid...

This one is not voodoo. It's a proven method for strengthening metals, but I'm with Mike on this one. Tubes may have metal in them, but they are not metal. Doesn't seem real smart to me take all the parts that make up a tube and expose them to -300, and then stick them in a tube socket bringing on the heat. Expansion and contraction kills glass and metal. What works for a hunting knife isn't probably such a good idea for tubes.

Cryogenic treatment of metals is a real process. It does work. And it has applications. Its used for many metal components. Everything from car parts to guns & guitar strings. Some guitar & bass strings, for instance, are cryogenically treated, & they supposedly last longer. Ive used them. They feel soft & spongy. The caveat is that they also dont have the zip or zing that brand new strings typically have. They sound more like strings that have been used a while. So basically, you dont notice as much deterioration, because youre already partly there, sonically speaking.

Cryogenic treatment of the metal internal components of a vacuum tube may be of some benefit. However, it appears that the individual selling these cryogenically treated tubes is full of Bull****. These tubes are all from well-known manufacturers/sources. So they are obviously not custom-made. Therefore, its implied that the entire tube was cryogenically treated after manufacture.

Glass is actually a liquid. And as we all know, liquids have the unique property of expanding when cooled. Metal, as other solid materials, contract when cooled. It seems to me that putting the entire vacuum tube in a 300 degree cryogenic bath would promptly break the vacuum seal at the pins (not to mention possibly fracturing the glass) as the glass envelope expands & the metal contracts at different rates. And in this particular situation, does so under an extreme condition. Furthermore, if the vacuum seal somehow remains intact, I dont see how the metal itself could undergo cryogenic treatment being protected inside the glass envelope.

This product gets my vote for the Hocus Pocus Award. Also The Laughing All the Way to the Bank Award.

OK friends. Ive got the news from the horses mouth. A company called 300Below, located in Peoria, Illinois, that does cryogenic treatment of metals has verified that cryogenic treatment of vacuum tubes can be done. HOWEVER, ideally, the internal metal components should be treated BEFORE installation in the glass envelope. He said there have been RARE instances where the entire tube was treated after manufacture, but in those cases the envelope is usually made from metal or some kind of molecularly tolerant plastic, not glass. He confirmed that the differing expansion/contraction ratios of the glass & metal would almost assuredly fracture the glass causing vacuum leakage.

Wow! Mix a little truth with fantasy and it is more believable! Thanks for the scientific clarity! If these tubes do not develop leaks then it is really questionable if they have even undergone the freeze...in either case, a bogus buy.

Art, it's been many years since I bought strings for my bass. I had no idea they did this with strings, and it makes much more sense than doing it to glass tubes. What brand(s) of strings are treated cryogenically?

I use Dean Markley blue steels on my 70's jazz bass.

I don't have a lot of acid in my skin so I don't normally have that much trouble with guitar and bass strings wearing out right away but the blue steels do seem to last a long time.

Peace, Josh