Best receiver for the RF 3IIBs

mohanksdk

I am looking at getting the RF 3IIBs for my home theater along with the matched center and surround. I want to setup a minimum of 6.1 channel setup in my carpeted apartment. I have been pondering over the Onkyo SR600,700 and 800. I dont want to spend more than 800 on the receiver. Also on my hit list are the Denon 1803 and 2803. What do you think is the best receiver for these. Sound Advise sells the Yamahas a lot but I heard that Klipshes and Yammys dont gel too well. I looked on the Forum and noticed that a lot of people like to use them with Marantz. I am confused asto Marantz/Denon/Onkyo.

My usage would be 70/30 Movies/Music. Lemme know what you think...

Obviously everyone has there own favorites... and most will defend the choice they made. I bought the Integra DTR 5.3 (6.1 DD/DTS, Etc.) and I love it. It has everything I wanted, on-screen diplay HD signal component video switching, everything, and the sound to me is amazing for the price. it is only 80 watts per channel, but hey, we're using Klipsch speakers... so 50 watts of power would make these scream. Best thing, the reciever was only 650. I am not made of money... so that is A LOT of money to me to spend on a piece of electronic equipement, but not once have I regretted the purchase!

Good luck with your search and let me know what you end up with!

I don't think you can go wrong with Denon/HK/Onkyo. Basically, you just need to compare their features/functionality and select the one that is most compatible for your needs. If you're purchasing this receiver for the long term, I would suggest going w/ Denon 3803/HK 525/Onkyo SR800. I selected the Onkyo mainly because of the price. (~800 at an authorized online dealer) I have also read good things about Marantz, but I have no personal experience.

I have personally used a Denon AVR3802 with the RF-3IIs in a 6.1 setup and I found it worked beautifully. I upgraded the RF-3 to the RF-7s and the Denon still is a wonderful piece. I think you won't go wrong if you went with Marantz/Denon/Onkyo or H/K. However, don't rule out anything from Outlaw, Rotel or even B&K. I think the B&K 307 is in your price range. There are a lot of choices out there for recievers and $800 should get you something very nice.

For $800, you've got alot of choices. I auditioned a number of units and ended up partial to the sound of Marantz, though your milage may vary. I'll confirm your comments on Yamaha equipment with Klipsch. I tried a Yamaha RX V620 with my RB-5's and didn't care for the results. However, again, listen before you buy.

You might also check the used market. For that price, if you want the basics (DD, DTS PL II), you could get alot more bang for the $$.

My speakers are RP-3( the same tweeter& midrange as in RF3), RS-3, RC-3. I was driving them with Yamaha RX-V 1000 that I recently replaced with Marantz Sr-19. I compared Yamaha with Denon-2803 and Marantz SR-7200 ( I had each in my listening room at least for a week). They were equally good. SR 18 was slightly better.

mohanksdk-

First, welcome to the Forum!

A lot of ppl on this forum are Denon fans, there is also a strong following of Onkyo & HK fans. I think that any of these companies will work well with the Klipsch speakers. However, I would suggest that you go to your local dealer (if possible) and listen to the Klipsch with several different receivers. I have found that most stores that carry Klipsch also carry Denon. When I purchased my RF3s, I listened to several recievers (probably not as carefully as I should have, but I was young and naive then). To my ears, the denon sounded the best of the batch (It was too long ago to remember what the other were). Since I'm most familiar with the Denons, I'll talk about them..... First, don't fall into the trap of "MORE POWER", the beauty (and curse) of Klipsch speakers is their efficiency. It doesn't take much power to drive them, so IF the features are the same between the 3803 & 2803, then don't spend the $$ for the 3803's bigger amps, get the 2803.

Also, make a list of the "MUST HAVE" features. For me now, this would include a display capable of ON/DIM/OFF settings, Discrete power ON & OFF functions, DTS/DD/DTS NEO, multiple assignable Digital inputs (at least 3), at least 2 s-video & 2 component inputs, 12V trigger, 8-channel input for SCAD or DVD-A, Base management features, and pre-outs. I don't have a lot of STUFF that some ppl have, like video games, TIVO, etc. I just have a VCR, TV, HTPC, DVD, with the hopes of replacing the VCR with a TIVO and tossing the TV for a Projector, and getting a CD player. So, try to plan as much as possible on what you will hook to it and what you might hook to it. On the Denon that i had, 3801, it only had one Digital coax input, not enough for me now.

As for Marantz, I might get shot for saying this, but Denon is more for HT use and Martantz is more for Music use.

If this is going to be your first system, don't blow a whole lot of $$$ on it. There are two type of ppl that own stereos, the general consumer (what ever they get they are perfectly happy with, no tweaks, no optimization, plug and play) and then ppl that come to BBs like this to get the maximum out of their system. More often then not, they have a fairly high turn over rate on the equipment. Take me for example, that Denon 3801, which is about 1.5 years old, is no longer in my system. It was replaced with a far superior IMHO pre/pro (Acurus "upgraded" ACT-3) and Parasound HCA-1205A amp.

Just some rambling from an insane person......

-Dave

The most important thing to do is listen for yourself. Everyone's ears are different. While I was looking at receiver a while back, people were telling me that Sony ES sounded too bright with Klipsch and Denon was the best. I actually found the Sony(DA4ES) to sound great and the Denon(3802) to sound dull and boring(all w/RF-3II). My favorite receiver brand to mate with Klipsch so far is HK. After being spoiled by Parasound1.gif, the Harman Kardon AVR520 is the first receiver which I could live with the internal amps.

Hey Dave,

Thank you very much for the input. It has been very helpful. Unfortunately the Sound Advice I go to doesnt carry Onkyo or HK. So its hard for me to compare the speakers at the store. The only thing I could do is buy and return. Thanks again.

Mohan