m00n

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pic in the box it has been stored in.

I used to use my old La Scalas for wedding receptions, dances, etc, many times. Often I had them over 100 watts for hours, & never a problem.

Again, I have never used this driver, except to test it many years ago. I can move the cone now, & it makes no noise. I will hook it up after I upload the next pic.

post-11842-13819246821984_thumb.jpg

NO

NO

As far as bass up all the way, YES, any woofer will do this with added bass, when they exceed their movement limits, the cones will jump out of the coil, to much excursion, the woofer you have was abused badly, i think i would check the other, for cone tear, or ripple!

When people turn levels up, BASS, TREBBLE, they actually add more distorted sound levels, some will go past the limits of a woofer, mid, or tweeter, Klipsch are set to be used on flat settings, if you turn up the bass, trebble, i would recommend turning it back twards flat, when exceeding the volume!

Another reason why equalizers are tweeter killers!

IMO people are trying to get the same bass out of there home systems, as a car BOOM BOOM system, not a home speaker made, ive seen yet, can produce the SHOW OFF levels of bass!

Klipsch heritage are 100 watts, ive yet to use 40?

Regards Jim

Regards Jim9.gif

I can't tell by the looking at your pic. The numbers are a bit blurry. I am almost positive the driver that I seen had the numbers k-33-E. I can't say for certian.

At any rate, how much would you be willing to let this go for and what available are you in getting it shipped?

the back reads:

Klipsch

K-33E

67-8340

I am thinking $60, & shipping is no problem for me. Check around & see if this seems good. Also, check on the other driver. You may end up needing a pair, in which you will want a matching set.

As Jim said, you may even want to have yours re-coned.

Cyclone,

If Moon doesn't want the K-33 I sure do! I purchased a pair of cornwalls form Cornwalled and one of the woofers is a replacement job. The other one is a K-33 just like your picture (square magnet). I'll send you the cash + shipping right away! That is if Moon doesn't want it.

Thanks

m00n,

What probably happened was someone was trying to get Belle to produce louder, deeper levels of bass than is possible - the horn flare limits the extension of the deep bass below 45 or 50 cycles, and no amount of bass boost or power applied to her will make her play a 30 cycle tone at any reasonable level - simply impossible due to basic physics of the horn loading. So my guess is someone hooked up an equalizer, or a receiver / amp with aggresive tone controls, cranked the bass boost way up, and wailed away. What this will do, given sufficient quantities of stupidity, power and time, is melt the insulation on the wires in the voice coil. There will be an acrid oder of smoke, the speaker will make horrible grinding noises, then when you turn her off and let her cool down, you have a fused motor assembly that will not move.

This is not repairable.

I did this once myself to a Dalquist SW-1 subwoofer. I was listening to some Dead, and I was using an Adcom GFA555 bridged into mono (600 watts) to drive a subwoofer that was rated at 75 watts continuous input, on the theory that too much power was not as dangerous as too little power. After the smoke cleared and the poor subwoofer cooled off, the cone would not move at all.

I'd definately take cyclonecj up on his offer.

And it may not be the seller's fault - if she was not the original user, and was not too much into audio, she could have been oblivious to the fact that one bass driver was fried.

cyclonecj

Yeah hold onto that if you can. I know Hobbit wants it. I am first going to price two brand new drivers from Klipsch. I figure if one is blown, what is the possibility of the second having problems too. Also, I am going to try and see if I can get the seller to help pay for a new driver. The seller was the original owner, they actually they were her husbands who passed away about a year ago which complicates things.

Anyway, if you can give me a day or two to try and get this figured out, I would be greatly appreciative.

Hobbit, i will try and get this arranged ASAP, sounds like your really excited about finding out one way or the other. 1.gif

m00n,

It could be as simple as a could solder joint. I know my tweeters on my lascala's were fist reported as bad. Wiggle the wires. That's what fixed my tweeters.

Do you have a spare amp? Hook the ouput of the amp directly to the woofer. Make sure the volume is all the way down. Power up the amp. If you still are getting nothing out then you probably have a bad woofer.

The rest of the componets are either going to work or sound bad.

I know you are pi$$ed, but this is kinda good also. You are learning to trouble shoot, which is good. You think this is bad wait until you start messing with tubes.

I wish I lived closer. I'd help you any way I could.

Hang in there.

Danny

dbflash

I already did that last night. I took the cover off the bottom and directly placed the speaker wires to driver terminals. I checked all rather closely last night. The wires going from the posts down onto the cone were nice and tight.

And like I had mentioned, the cone simply would not move at all, it was stiffer than a board.

Yeah, I could handle you living closer too. 1.gif I need someone to take me under thier wing and show me the roaps. 9.gif

Hobbit, Yes it is a square and I will work this as fast as I can. I contacted Klipsch and got a price for new drivers, they are $129.93. Don't know if that includes shipping or not.

I am hoping I can get the original owner to pay for one new driver. I will pay for the other because if I do this, I want to just go a head and by replacements for both.

m00n,

Call Simply Speakers (8005113343).

I told him about your problem from what I've read here.

The spaker might have been dropped and caused the magnet to shift. That will cause the woofer to freeze up.

$85 plus shipping to recone and fix the dead woofer problem.

Danny