?

mike stehr

I love it, Mike!!!

Now this is what I call an awesome-looking amp. I mean that sincerely. I very much enjoy an aesthetic element that reflects the receiving and transmitting radio lineage at the heart of hi-end audio. I am planning a summer project -- from an old PP Pilot amp. schematic I found -- which will look very much like the one you shared with us.

An amplifier can be dressed up in the fanciest polished wood and anodized aluminum, look amazingly sexy, and sound totally awful. It's inside what counts, and I'll bet this is a great amplifier.

Cool!

Erik

I am a little suprised.

That little b*gger looks to have a relatively heavy power tranny and the O/P's look larger than I would have expected from an old stereo console.

Judging from the tube lineup - 12AU7 into 6BQ5's and what appears to be a relatively decent power supply stage I think that that amp (if well designed) may well have some serious potential when driving quality high efficiency speakers. What (if anything) are you using as a preamplifier for it ?

Many of those old consoles simply used some sort of attenuation on the tuner section's output and the tuner/phono o/p was fed as a single line to the power amp via the selector switch.

I recall hearing a system many years ago that used the power amp from an old Grundig console fed by a Dynaco PAS3 into a pair of Khorn clones (Speakerlab ?) and remember being stunned by the sound.

As Paul said "What the World Needs is a good 5 watt amplifier!"

Thanks Eric, I appreciate that.

Finally I'm back to work. And as soon as get my Cornwall's shipped up here, I can get started on my projects.

Like a pre-amp and possibly a SET amp of some sort.

I'm ready.

Lynn,

The driver is a 6EU7, and what suprised me is how much big sound and bass I get from how teeny those OPT's are.

I use the variable output from my CDP to push it. The volume pot and tone controls were in the receiver, and daisey chained to the amp.

Dean,

I'm trying to shoot for the end of April, when I'll have enough money to take care of this situation.

But Murphy's law is kinda dictating things at the moment.

Can you Email me with the dimensions, zip code and weight of that container?

(I lost my old Emails when we got the new PC.)

I forgot about it last time, I and need that to get a proper shipping estimate.

Thanks!