Upgrade from Quintets to Reference--Opinions plz

Jabez Scratch

I am planning on moving from my 5.1 Quintet system to a 5.1 Reference series system. Can I expect a substantial improvement in sound quality? If so, how much? I'm matching the speakers w/ a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX. Also, I am considering a Paradigm Studio Series 5.1 setup. Any thoughts on which would be the better system, especially as I will use it 80% H-T/20% music.

Biased reply from Klipsch employee -

The difference will be ENORMOUS! Quintet is a fine small-room speaker package. A 5.1 Reference system will be a totally different experience. Which Reference models you do have in mind?

----------------

On 4/4/2003 4:35:45 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

I am planning on moving from my 5.1 Quintet system to a 5.1 Reference series system. Can I expect a substantial improvement in sound quality? If so, how much?

----------------

Will you see an improvement? Let me ask you this - if you upgrade from a Pentium 166mhz to a Pentium 4 2.5ghz will you see an improvement? That is just about the equivalent of what you are doing going from Quintets to Reference, especially something like the RF-7s.

----------------

On 4/4/2003 4:35:45 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

I'm matching the speakers w/ a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX. Also, I am considering a Paradigm Studio Series 5.1 setup. Any thoughts on which would be the better system, especially as I will use it 80% H-T/20% music.

----------------

I also want to address you other questions/comments:

The Pioneer Elite series of recievers are much admired in this forum. I got the chance to play with the 45TX (one model up from what you have) and I was very impressed. Your reciever should be more than sufficient.

About the Paradigm Studio speakers. Although I have not had been able to listen to these personally, but they seem to be a very good speaker themselves. From what I have read/heard from other folks, the Paradigm seems to be a little more laid back than the Klipsch. I have also heard that they don't seem to be quite as dynamic. Anybody have expierience with the Paradigms. The best thing you could do is actually find a dealer that has both and listen the Paradigms or Klipsch and go with the ones you like best. To bad there is no dealer in this area because I'd like to get a chance to hear the Paradigms, at least to be familier with them since I hear/read so much about them in the various HT/audio forums/websites.

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments so far. This is the setup I was thinking about going for:

2 RB-5 IIs (Front)

1 RC-7 (Center)

2 RS-3II (Surrounds)

For the sub, I have the KSW10 and a dealer said that I could safely use that w/ this setup? Wise idea?

Also, I heard this system w/ and w/o the dipolar surrounds (a pair of RB-5 IIs were used in place of the RS-3IIs), and I much preferred the dipolar surrounds for H-T, but I have an important question: b/c of the structure of my rec room, I need to place the surrounds pretty high up, like 8-9 feet up, so is this a problem/far less than ideal positioning for dipolar surrounds? Any thoughts would be great to hear, thanks.

You want them at least a foot above your listening position. The reason mine are kinda high is because I have two rows of them. The back seating row I would put up on a platform kinda thing to raise the back row seating... However, this comeing week I will be on vacation and builing a new riser floor in my theater.

Jabez

So like I got me this nifty little Chev Cavalier and its been really nice but now I can get a Corvette Stingray. It's had a brand new blueprinted engine with a turbocharger installed. I realise that the Corvette will be a little faster but is it really worth the upgrade ?

----------------

On 4/4/2003 7:14:29 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments so far. This is the setup I was thinking about going for:

2 RB-5 IIs (Front)

1 RC-7 (Center)

2 RS-3II (Surrounds)

For the sub, I have the KSW10 and a dealer said that I could safely use that w/ this setup? Wise idea?

Also, I heard this system w/ and w/o the dipolar surrounds (a pair of RB-5 IIs were used in place of the RS-3IIs), and I much preferred the dipolar surrounds for H-T, but I have an important question: b/c of the structure of my rec room, I need to place the surrounds pretty high up, like 8-9 feet up, so is this a problem/far less than ideal positioning for dipolar surrounds? Any thoughts would be great to hear, thanks.

----------------

Hey... I want to come back to this... Not trying to get too personal here, but are you on money constraints? Just curious as to why your not going with either the RF3-IIs or the RF7s. And, yeah, if you can bring those surrounds down a bit I would. That does seem rather high.

----------------

On 4/4/2003 10:36:15 PM m00n wrote:

Hey... I want to come back to this... Not trying to get too personal here, but are you on money constraints? Just curious as to why your not going with either the RF3-IIs or the RF7s. And, yeah, if you can bring those surrounds down a bit I would. That does seem rather high.

----------------

Those RB-5 are actually quite nice and do indeed hold thier own. I don't want to answer for the original poster, but I would not be surprised if he was space constrained. Still, I tend to agree overall with m00n here. If you could swing it, try to go for the full-sized towers (RF-5s, or better yet, RF-7, if using an RC-7 center). If you are indeed space/money constrained, than you are certainly not going wrong with the RB-5IIs, especially with the RC-7 center that is listed. Perhaps in the future, if you do eventually want to upgrade to a pair of full-sized towers, the RB-5IIs would be excellent to use for a second system in the office/den/bedroom, or to be used as surrounds.

m00n: money constraints aren't that much of a concern (although when are they not?). I'm a lawyer and I do ok, but the constraints really flow from the structure of my rec room. I have a scanner but no pics yet that I could post. It's a sunken rec room and I would really prefer sticking w/ bookshelves. Also, the center must fit into a hutch, which isn't really a "hutch" but rather a very large wooden entertainment centre that was built w/ the house and it stretches from floor to ceiling (about 9ft high). The rec room opens into the kitchen so I don't have a side wall (only 3 walls in total), but there is a small (about 1 ft) lip that hangs from the ceiling b/n the rec room and kitchen. It is on this small piece of wall that I would place the surrounds. I realize that's high, but therein lies my constraints: the somewhat odd structure of the rec room that opens into a kitchen (or vice versa). Thx for your comments so far---I find them very helpful.

Jabez,

I too am (used to be) a quintet owner. Over a year ago I made the leap into the real world with Reference 3's. Excellent choice, their here to stay!

Now you made a remark about RS vs RB for surrounds. I would like to first say that I have 4 RS-3's. I only have two hooked up because of my current home dimensions. This is kind of sad considering I have had the second pair boxed up in the storage room waiting for our new home and they've been there for over a year. (hopefully we'll be in this summer)

I would like to point out that the RS's are not dipolar but rather WDST (Wide Dispersion Surround Technology). I only bring this up because there is a distinct difference. For info on WDST go to the Klipsch home page and select Products, then Home Audio, then Home Audio FAQ, then go down to Surround Speakers.

There is also an old post that is worth the reading that talks about rear channel selections. http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=13570&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={4D9063DD-84F3-416C-B232-382A71BFD2F0}

Matthew